[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - #OccupyLamma
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: #OccupyLamma
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:24 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Sending out my Lamma-zine e-newsletters yesterday, this is one of the replies I got:

"It is so, so sad that of course there is zero mention of the current HK turmoil in your publication.
Sad, yet expected.

I have visited Lamma several times and also considered it as a retirement spot but I now realize the very real risks of living under the rule of a repressive regime. It is so easy to forget that in fact it is Beijing that rules HK today. We all almost forget.

And to see all of the Lamma westerners acting like voiceless sheep is sad and disheartening. I understand... you risk losing everything if you speak up. I do understand.

Heartbreaking.

I have reevaluated my retirement plans and it looks like the HK that I loved very much will no longer be free.
Freedom is of course the first and most fundamental freedom we should all have :(

best wishes"

This person obviously missed the last e-newsletter which was headlined as "#OccupyLamma" and all of this forum topic which is also linked from the very top of this forum and the top of the home page of this site.

Should we write more about the UmbrellaMovement? This site has never been subjected to any kind of political influences or censorship of any kind from the Govt., local authoritoies or our advertisers, we're still free to write about anything we like. Basically, we're too small for the authorities or our overlords in Beijing to care about what we write on this local community website.

The Lamma-zine is usually focusing on Lamma and Lammaite-related stories, so I've only written about it when it happened on our island. Pretty quiet and low-key so far on Lamma, except what we've heard about above in this topic. I've shot a lot of pictures from Central-Admiralty-Causeway Bay myself several times and quite a few friends have joined in, but similar and much better pictures to mine have been seen in so many other publications already, no need to show them here?

Feel free to add anything more UmbrellaMovement-related to this topic!
But there are so many fine publications offline and online out there, covering almost every aspect already, not easy to add anything new or relevant, except when it's happening on Lamma and would be rarely covered in any other media.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:50 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:46 pm 

These Little offspring banners are starting to appear all over Lamma now, after the massive-size mother of them all has been removed from Lion Rock. Quite a few people have been posting these on Facebook:

Attachments:
Ka-Wing-Chan.jpg
Ka-Wing-Chan.jpg [ 332.03 KiB | Viewed 1696 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:25 pm 

Seen in Ko Long Village :? :?

Attachments:
IMG_2961.jpg
IMG_2961.jpg [ 87.59 KiB | Viewed 1670 times ]
IMG_2959.jpg
IMG_2959.jpg [ 78.04 KiB | Viewed 1670 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:20 am 

For a major local outpouring of "Damned Foreigners!", see comments on Yu Lai Fan's Facebook Timeline (in Chinese only):

Four "Westerners" (see photo in link below) were protesting against the Anti-Occupy signature campaign outside the Rural Committee building in July. Police was called in, apologies were made and no charges filed.

But this incident ignited the most numerous and most anti-Western, even vicious outbursts in comments (not by YLF) I've ever seen on Yu Lai Fan's usually peaceful and informative Facebook Timeline, which is run by one of her two very capable assistants:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1506656129568793&set=a.1419817161586024.1073741829.100006732612458&type=1&theater

Attachments:
YU-Lai-Fan-Anti-Occupy-signature-campaign-b.jpg
YU-Lai-Fan-Anti-Occupy-signature-campaign-b.jpg [ 112.88 KiB | Viewed 1619 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:21 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

July? 4 months ago. Why is this coming to light only now?

Anyway, this "Support the police" bullshit is an indication of the cowardice and intransigence of the government. It's a political problem, not a crime problem. Even more absurd the court cases by taxi companies being used to get the courts to rule against the occupation. CY is too afraid of the people to talk to them, just trying to get others to make them shut up. Yu Lai Fan's methods are the same. Refuses to discuss issues in good faith if at all, gets government departments to harass people she dislikes (as "illegal occupation" charges for collecting the garbage in YSW beach).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:00 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Not to worry, the triads will sort out those in Hong Kong who don't support the police. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:14 pm 

I love the last comment on the Facebook photo from Yu Lai Fan:
"Police have a confession to make records!"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:09 pm 

On a rooftop in Pak Kok, submitted by Marcus. Thanks!

Attachments:
MHL-FullSizeRender-b.jpg
MHL-FullSizeRender-b.jpg [ 71.74 KiB | Viewed 1373 times ]