[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Recycling bins
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Recycling bins
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:09 pm 

I saw something yesterday that really concerned me, Close to my house there are some recycling bins, and some general rubbish ones... I saw 3 people collecting the bags from the 3 recycling bins, putting everything together in a big black rubbish bag, and placing the bag to the general rubbish area, then they just left it there and left to the next recycling bins to do the same.
I saw this happening once before, but I thought somebody would go later and pick up this bag, but this wasn't the case yesterday, as in the evening, when I went past the bins again, this rubbish bag was still there, ready to be collected this morning by the VV that collects all the rubbish. it wasn't in a separate green or other color bag for them to difference it.
I separate all my waste all the time, and I see lots of people making the effort and putting different things in the different bins, so it made me quite upset and angry to see they were doing this.
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures to prove this. Next time I will make sure I do if I see it again happening.
Has any of you seen this before? Was it just me that didn't know that they did this? Is there any person that I can contact to report this incident if I take the pictures and have proof next time?
Thank you

Post subject: Re: Recycling bins
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:31 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:40 am 

Considering everything goes into black bags, then it's pretty hard to understand how the VV drivers are supposed to know the difference between the different types of rubbish. They should all obviously be in different coloured bags but I am reliably informed that Govt has said that their supplier has told them that they can only supply black bags!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:56 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

This has been a mystery for years and FEHD and Govt. has pushed off the responsibility to subcontractors, not seemingly caring of it's recycled or not. If it all goes into black bags, then it definitely goes all into the landfill as NOBODY would ever open these closed black bags after collection, I'd guess.

Could somebody Cantonese speaking simply ask one of the collectors when seeing them collecting? No point asking the bosses as they'll simply deflect these sensitive question.

Our Pak Kok ferry pier recycling bins are often filled to the brim and I could hardly get my glass into the TWO glass recycling bins yesterday anymore, both full. All a waste of efforts if it's not properly recycled...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:18 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator