[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Tai Peng upper walled off
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:29 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Today the owner of a house at 30/31 Tai Peng is putting up a brick wall to enlarge it, and narrowing the already absurdly narrow path to upper Tai Peng.
I'd take a photo but I'd rather not provoke him while he has a trowel in his hand. I found one someone else took recently though, below.

Until this year I lived in "Upper Tai Peng" and getting through that choke point was always a challenge on a bike, often impossible with a trolley.

I'm sure the District Lands Office won't give a shit. They let villagers build anything, anywhere, regardless of inconvenience to neighbours, damage to the environment, blocking drainage..

Yeah, there is another way, you can circle round a block of houses, add 150 metres to your trek home, or add a km or two and come in via the Cable Road.

It's so inspiring how community minded Lamma villagers are.

{L_IMAGE}

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:43 pm 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

I wondered what was the purpose of that wall apart from gaining friendliness around. It just adds thickness to the existing wall of the building.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:55 pm 

Got a photo. Looks like he may be finished.

I can see no purpose of this construction, unless he's marking his territory for a future rebuild of the house so he can claim another few square feet of ground.
Or maybe he just hates someone who lives up the hill and wants to fuck with them. Taking the wall right up to the narrowest point of the path and making it even narrower is just pure malice.

Previously the gap was a very narrow 65cm, My bike handlebars are 60cm wide so I could ride through if I kept steady. Now it's 47 cm.
Wheelchair? Forget it.

I think some members of the forum would be well advised not to try to pass through it now.

It'll be interesting to see the reaction it gets over the next few days. With any luck there will be some ad hoc remodelling with sledge hammers.

Of course, the problem exists only because how narrow the path was to begin with. The DLO were completely irresponsible to allow the house on the right to be built where it is. But they lack any idea of imposing sensible planning on the villages, and allow each landowner to act with complete selfishness, only concerned with their own property. The idea of a village governed by a benevolent council of elders may have worked a century ago, it's a dead concept now. It's just dog eat dog.

Attachments:
wallTP.jpg
wallTP.jpg [ 97.21 KiB | Viewed 6823 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:38 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:29 pm 

Attachments:
wallTP2.jpg
wallTP2.jpg [ 99.67 KiB | Viewed 6815 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:59 pm 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

Very soon the sewage pipe will be laid towards upper Tai Peng through the narrow passage, and for that, certainly, there will be a need to demolish the new wall – so comes the claim for compensation. May be. On the photo from Allan there is the survey point just recently nailed in there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:06 pm 

LG ... the F/B page that you refer to is by far the most informative for many (me included) ... you quote "increasingly spammed up" !!! 1 or 2 posting's / week !!! oh ... get over it !!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:42 am 

Well, the ***** in question has more bricks and is now building his wall higher.

Since it has been reported that he is threatening people with a chopper for "making trouble for him", I won't take a photo until he's done.

P.S. Photo below. He added 3 rows of bricks, but I doubt he's done.

Attachments:
wallTP-728.jpg
wallTP-728.jpg [ 97.63 KiB | Viewed 6777 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:37 pm 

Took over a f***ing year, but this jerk's obstruction was finally removed. Despite the Lands Dept stating it was on public land, they did nothing. Only when the drainage workers came to dig for the sewage was it removed.

Would not be surprised if they paid the scumbag compensation; that was probably his plan anyway.

Anyway, now it's just stupidly narrow again instead of ridiculously.

Attachments:
20170913-TPwall2.jpg
20170913-TPwall2.jpg [ 98 KiB | Viewed 6508 times ]
20170913-TPwall1.jpg
20170913-TPwall1.jpg [ 99.38 KiB | Viewed 6508 times ]