[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - A great opportunity to get your pet fixed!
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:27 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

LAP has coordinated with the SPCA to bring their mobile clinic to the ferry pier on HK side. The SPCA is offering incredibly low cost spay and neuter of dogs and cats on Tuesday 7 January at the HK ferry pier.

If you bring 3 dogs you will get one done for free!

For booking please call LAP at 2982 4018
Do you need help getting your cat or dog there? We will do everything we can to help.

Let's reduce the number of abandoned, unwanted litters, reduce suffering and disease, and improve life for all Lamma's animals! Tell your friends and neighbours ... this is the cheapest rate in hk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:39 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Exactly how much is the incredibly low cost?

Post subject: Mobile clinic costs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:43 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Cats
Male: $100
female: $200

Dogs
Male: $200
Female: $300

These are such good rates that we are hoping that this clinic will target those animals who would otherwise not get spayed or neutered. We need to know numbers and who is going, so bookings are necessary. The animals cannot turn up on the day and hope to get fixed. it is also imperative that NO food is given after midnight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:48 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

If we just grab some of the dogs that wander around the village, will they do them for free or just take them away? That would be a good idea, get the dogs off the island, get the paths free from dog shit.

Post subject: Wandering dogs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:26 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

These rates are heavily subsidised and any wandering dogs who were brought in would need to be sponsored. It would be wonderful to reach the marginally cared for dogs of Lamma and help them. If anyone out there knows any of these dogs and knows who looks after them perhaps we can get them fixed next time we do this. We are hoping to do it on a regular basis. This is a big step towards helping them all and an admirable initiative of the SPCA.
On the second point, in my observation, most of the fouling of the paths is done by dogs who do have homes but are not responsibly cared for. The streets, and hills, and beaches of Lamma are not made dirty, trashy and dangerous by dogs but by humans. If ,as you obliquely suggest, a death sentence is the answer to curb minor polluters there will not be many of us left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:35 pm 
Over 1,000 messages posted

yeah, but there aren't too many humans on Lamma that shit all over the place.. just 100s of dogs and cats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:30 pm 
Pets Forum Co-Moderator

no, i don't agree. there are a lot who leave domestic garbage and construction garbage around. there are those that let their dogs foul our paves and not clean up after them. for the poor ones wandering around on their own, weren't they the ones whose owners have just abandoned them for all sorts of "personal" reasons? yes, they can cause a nuisance, but shouldn't we try to help them instead of putting them to more suffering for a situation where they are the actual victims?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:39 pm 

Face the facts e, there are way to many dogs and cats on Lamma and way to much mess from them. I've never understood why anyone would want to keep a dog in a flat anyway. Very cruel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:06 am 
Pets Forum Co-Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:20 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:22 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:14 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:33 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Well, I'm not a dog or cat owner, but I agree with all the people in this topic who disagree with Insomniac.
I've only stepped into dog shit once since moving to Lamma, employing the same clever, but surprisingly common technique that Norseman (and most people) are using: watching out where I'm stepping.

How can you blame the animals, they just do what comes naturally and they certainly don't know any better. It's the owners who should prevent them from fouling the pavements, or at least clean up after them. Otherwise, why not get serious about fining litterers?

Not as a pet owner, but as a nature and animal lover, I'm always amazed about the great number of simply beautiful, well-groomed, generally well-behaved pets on the island. I think they add tremendously to the charm and attraction of Lamma Island.
And the wonderful, selfless volunteers of the Lamma Animal Protection who take care of the less fortunate, abandoned anaimals incorporate the true spirit of Lamma:
Peace, Love, Laughter, Lamma!

P.S. Insomniac, I've never had any dog sniffing my balls or humping my leg yet, but you should consider this as a sign of affection from the dogs, not as a hostile act. And they're attracted by strong smells... :wink: