Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

  WHAT'S NEW? Restaurant/Bar News ~ "UFOs vs. 2 Gigs" ~ Dora Tsang interview
  WHAT'S ON?    Multi-sport classes ~ Butterflies ~ Digging for Victory! ~ ARTISTICO
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Lamma Ferries App ~ Stumbling Randomly ~ Easter Crowds? ~ Föllakzoid  

It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 7:20 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:34 pm 
Offline
Official Court Village Fool
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm
Posts: 413
reasons 1 through 10.

If you move to Lamma, you're stuck reading my stupidity, because you're now a Lammaite, and you roll your eyes and say give me a break stupid kid Like Marc Anthony does.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:33 pm 
Offline
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:34 pm
Posts: 664
Vanoclama, I'm actually surprised you are still here on Lamma. Thought you would have moved off long ago.

I would have done, if I was so stressed about living here. Would have found a better place to live.

Have to admit I dislike (for want of a better word LOL) the VV's, property developers that leave trash behind etc.... etc... I could go on...

But the community is pretty good and that's why I haven't left. Lot's of eco friendly people, animal lovers, nature lovers, not to mention the odd drunk, some aging hippies, a few eccentrics, a few icons, and lots of different nationalities. A pretty interesting community. Never a dull moment :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:02 am 
Offline
Official Court Village Fool
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm
Posts: 413
Tigger wrote:
Vanoclama, I'm actually surprised you are still here on Lamma. Thought you would have moved off long ago.

I would have done, if I was so stressed about living here. Would have found a better place to live.

Have to admit I dislike (for want of a better word LOL) the VV's, property developers that leave trash behind etc.... etc... I could go on...

But the community is pretty good and that's why I haven't left. Lot's of eco friendly people, animal lovers, nature lovers, not to mention the odd drunk, some aging hippies, a few eccentrics, a few icons, and lots of different nationalities. A pretty interesting community. Never a dull moment :-)


>>>But the Green Turtles need my help, if they die off and can't mutate, into teenagers, then how can the Teenaged Mutant Lamma Ninja Turtles defeat the Evil Krang and Shredder (Uncle Phil from Frensh Prince). serious answer, Lamma is cheap has an "Identity", and my aunt who works here supplies me free food. Because I'm a broke ass Bohemian bum Scholar,generation Slacker, who is pennless and can't move back to Canada. So I make the best here, like working to save the Green Turtles. come on guys, they'lre going to come back, and Ocean Park lady "Shadow Sin" (yes that's her name, you know about Hong Kong names... they're like comic characters. I know someone called another person called "Engine" (from Calgary), Apple, Turtle, Egg, Shadow Sin (sounds like a villianess, ninjaess like on that anime Ninja scroll). Anyways, not that I hate Hong Kong, or China. but it's difficult for me to blend into Chinese community, somehow my white yellow banana skin turns them off. I get the same in Canada too. So I try to make an identity, and the really crazy thing is in Canada I was a suburbian shut in, so much that Facebook is my only means of comunication, (it was really hell in China, I was like talking to the wall like the "hole" (soilitary confinement), in jail. so I guess I'm trying to do something productive and construtive. *subliminal message* (be intrested in the Sham wan clean up project).

But it's strange. I'm not a intergral part of Lammania, not unless I live here for a while, like you guys are all neighbors and know what each other look like. And I got a sinking suspicion you know who I am in rl and what I look like (it's so funnn and mysterious), Like as Tavis (have to use his name, because well that's his name), said to me once. Lamma is so dynamic and alive, and Canadian suburbia (acacia avenue is so safely sterile. Muggle world).

Like if we can continue with Bob's forest and perhaps even preserve the archelogical stone aged stuff (monkey King's armory perhaps lol), in South Lamma, and maybe slowly work at removing some of the junk that piles up, this place be neater. Like it' not every day you get to live by a temple. Unless you're a Mormon and you live beside the Calgary temple, or Edmonton one built into residential neighborhoods (ironically where i lived and went to school interesting, be being a former LDS).

lol. Marc Anthony's response. *drinks* and types in a drunken slur "gggododhhhshhs (god), helllppshhhspup awweeelll (god help us all)" .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:19 am 
Offline
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:09 pm
Posts: 195
Location: Yung Shue Wan
Time for bed I think


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:36 pm 
Offline
Official Court Village Fool
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm
Posts: 413
Sneaky-O wrote:
Time for bed I think


>>> sweet dreams


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: centipedes
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:45 pm 
Offline
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:54 pm
Posts: 125
Found this picture of a centipede taken in Thailand.
Lamma centipedes are babies compared to these monsters!


Attachments:
giant centipede.jpg
giant centipede.jpg [ 42.61 KiB | Viewed 3206 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: RE:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:09 pm 
Offline
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:53 pm
Posts: 101
Location: HK
Perhaps we could all cut the horse and bull s*** with our 'genuine reasons' of why we have chosen to live on Lamma, why we love Lamma blah blah blah. When it comes down to it there is one reason and one reason only...It is cheaper.

_________________
Thanks

IC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:39 pm
Posts: 8
There is a lot more to living here than saving a few $$ surely, I certainly couldn't live in the depressing endless concrete of HK, we do a have a few things going for us on the island, why did you whiners and moaners come to the island if you think it is so depraved?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Reason 1-10
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:19 pm 
Offline
Official Court Village Fool
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm
Posts: 413
Vanoclamma might lose control of his push cart and drop a bunch of rocks on your bear feet. (also, why do people walk bear foot on Lamma? The sidewalis still dirty, and shoe protect our feet skin), but here I see kids, and people walk around. Like we're not affraid of glass and DOG POOP? Wow brave people. Very brave.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:21 pm 
Offline
Official Court Village Fool
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm
Posts: 413
Pandora wrote:
There is a lot more to living here than saving a few $$ surely, I certainly couldn't live in the depressing endless concrete of HK, we do a have a few things going for us on the island, why did you whiners and moaners come to the island if you think it is so depraved?


>>> Plus all the kitties peeking around corners, like ninjas look soooooo cute. you look up or around and you see two eye balls, and a ears. Meeeeeeeeowwwwww


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:35 pm 
Offline
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:52 pm
Posts: 434
Vanoclamma, your prose looks like it has been through the washing machine a few times, but I'm with you on the bare feet thing. Most Asians think that's just yuk!

The reason why Asians (and not a few westerners) take off their shoes before entering anyone's home is because they don't want to spread muck, dirt and germs inside. Those who don't seem to get it were either brought up in the Australian Outback or in Soweto.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:21 pm 
Offline
Discussions Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:06 pm
Posts: 5044
Location: Tai Peng
shapogung wrote:
Vanoclamma, your prose looks like it has been through the washing machine a few times, but I'm with you on the bare feet thing. Most Asians think that's just yuk!

The reason why Asians (and not a few westerners) take off their shoes before entering anyone's home is because they don't want to spread muck, dirt and germs inside. Those who don't seem to get it were either brought up in the Australian Outback or in Soweto.


It's fine if 1) you have a clean floor and 2) it's not freezing. In places where this does not apply, customs necessarily differ.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:43 am 
Offline
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:52 pm
Posts: 434
Fair comment. You wouldn't want to take off your shoes indoors in some peoples homes around here. As regards keeping your shoes on because it's too cold - it doesnt seem to bother the Japanese or Koreans. But yes, its cultural.

Coming back to the point. Westerners who flop around in their bare feet on Lamma are not only ignoring local cultural norms but they give the impression (racial stereotypes being unavoidable) that westerners don't observe a high standard of hygiene*.

Of course I cannot blame them for what others think, and they are also entitled to exercise their own free will - but a little self awareness would go a long way.

It costs like $10 for a pair of thongs/flip-flops.

*Yes, and I know that's ironic given what you might observe on the streets of Sham Shui Po.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:07 pm 
Offline
Official Court Village Fool
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm
Posts: 413
shapogung wrote:

The reason why Asians (and not a few westerners) take off their shoes before entering anyone's home is because they don't want to spread muck, dirt and germs inside. Those who don't seem to get it were either brought up in the Australian Outback or in Soweto.



>>> In Canada, I'm not sure about houses else where. Probably yes. There are little landings where the door opens up, (usually where stairs can go down too), then you go around barefoot on the carpet. Because of snow slime (oil and dirt from dirty snow when we cross streets. (which coincidently kills ALL the grass of a tree median). because of the salt we use for ice, and gravel. Like in spring time, flying projectiles of death fly everywhere. It's like driving the Mad Max car, with all the punk warriors, throwing rocks at him and shit. and that dirt goes everywhere. I like the gyrocopter in that movie.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:07 pm 
Offline
Official Court Village Fool
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm
Posts: 413
shapogung wrote:

The reason why Asians (and not a few westerners) take off their shoes before entering anyone's home is because they don't want to spread muck, dirt and germs inside. Those who don't seem to get it were either brought up in the Australian Outback or in Soweto.



>>> In Canada, I'm not sure about houses else where. Probably yes. There are little landings where the door opens up, (usually where stairs can go down too), then you go around barefoot on the carpet. Because of snow slime (oil and dirt from dirty snow when we cross streets. (which coincidently kills ALL the grass of a tree median). because of the salt we use for ice, and gravel. Like in spring time, flying projectiles of death fly everywhere. It's like driving the Mad Max car, with all the punk warriors, throwing rocks at him and shit. and that dirt goes everywhere. I like the gyrocopter in that movie.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:19 pm 
Offline
Official Court Village Fool
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm
Posts: 413
shapogung wrote:

It costs like $10 for a pair of thongs/flip-flops.

*Yes, and I know that's ironic given what you might observe on the streets of Sham Shui Po.


>>> It's not really a judgemental call I was making. I was just worried that the kids would step on something sharp. especially with Lamma a proverbial construction zone. In Suburbia, you really don't want to walk around with bare feet, less you step on some ancient rusty nail. the number one killer of car tires. I used to work as a tire monkey. But this was when I was new to Lamma, and didn't understand the rules that there are no rules. It's a "Ok Fred now you're a yaga yaga" (Ragae song about a "yaga yaga" (I think it's a mong cha cha, comme ce comme de la ca, Que Sera Sera like person, laid back relaxed, relaxed like the many Lamma kitties who ignore me, when I try to pet them. Like "mean kitty"). who lives near the hair cut place in Sha Po New Village. I go to pet her, she ignores me until I pet her and then her teeth cuts a straight line on my finger).

When you say "been in the washer a few times, my writing has been" does this mean that It's CLEAN? Or do you mean the CAT washer (on youtube, look up a cat washing machine. And this cat was like jumping all around in there.... awwwwww.

It's all about the mysterious Minogue.... the mysterious Kylie minogue. Nobody knows the planet she's from "most of her contemporary works has some what of a space motif to it". If anything I'd like to be from Kylie Minogue's planet. I call Kylie Minogue, the natural cure for bi polar depression...... of "Kylie Minogueism.... (pun on Mangnesium, a mineral used in anti crazy pills. You know the kind the doctor DOESN'T prescribe to me.... lol), although it would improve my life so much, help me get chicks, by being NORMAL, and a "job". but then I'd never realise all these eccentric streams of consciouness, that Lammites installed in my brain.

And I wonder why when I tried to join the Canadian Forces, the file read, "Do not hire. Crazy...." in big red stamp. NO!!!!!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:11 pm
Posts: 35
only 10 reasons? Last week we went to the little beach near Po Wah Yuen and we could not go to the sand because a huge and poisonous snake was next to the rocks. But that is nothing, a few months ago we went to the same beach very early in the morning and the police would not let us pass because a dead person was found there! (true story)... dog poo is nothing next to it.

---
for 10,000 you can rent a flat in Stanley next to the great market.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:08 am
Posts: 42
to point number one, the rent, for hkd 12,000, for a 300'' ft2(net) studio in soho with club facilities or a 350''(gross) ft2 one hardly accessible on Lamma in the middle of nowhere?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:08 am
Posts: 42
lamapu wrote:
only 10 reasons? Last week we went to the little beach near Po Wah Yuen and we could not go to the sand because a huge and poisonous snake was next to the rocks. But that is nothing, a few months ago we went to the same beach very early in the morning and the police would not let us pass because a dead person was found there! (true story)... dog poo is nothing next to it.

---
for 10,000 you can rent a flat in Stanley next to the great market.


yes, you can.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 36
muppets wearing socks and sandals.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group