[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Exploding Village House floors!
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:26 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

A friend emailed me that many of his bedroom floor tiles cracked last night spontaneously and very noisily, pushed upwards and some even breaking.

Has anybody experienced this before? This happened in almost new Village House! It was the coldest night of this winter so far, just below 10 degrees.

Attachments:
!DSC06582-1.jpg
!DSC06582-1.jpg [ 83.69 KiB | Viewed 1874 times ]
!DSC06578.jpg
!DSC06578.jpg [ 54.59 KiB | Viewed 1874 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:19 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

and i thought you were talking about Lamma villagers openly defying the two-storey rule. A brand new house in Yung Shue Long old village has a third floor!

Then i looked at the pictures and i must say i am not surprised. The building standards are appalling in most houses i lived in. Between window frames and the wall there is usually enough room to allow the free passage of cockroaches and other creatures. You are never alone in a Lamma flat...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:54 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

At a guess, the house was built in the summer. Steel bars set in concrete, which would contract in the cold. The tiles don't contract as much, so they break.
I know little about civil engineering, but there should be expansion joins to allow for that.

After all, many places in the world have much more extreme temperature differences between summer and winter and don't have this issue.

Or it could be the foundations settling unevenly. Broken toilets and other crap aren't the most consistent bedding.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:54 am 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:59 am 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

I cannot take a picture because i am not in Hong Kong at the moment. Anyway, it's in Yung Shue Long Old Village, around number 80, one of the few new houses built there. The roof top has been completely end permanently encased to create a third floor. The house was built like that, it wasn't an afterthought. Either newly-built houses are not inspected for illegal structures, or the fine is lower than the profit they make by renting out the third floor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:14 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

You mention it’s a new flat, but from the pictures it looks as if there are small square tiles underneath new large ones, and the new ones have just been laid on top. They should be cemented in, which is of course is much more work as it requires breaking up the old ones with a jack hammer and preparing the surface. Someone’s attempt to save money backfired – hope your friend is renting and not the tile-scrooge owner.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:26 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

I also don't see any grout in between the tiles. It looks like they have been laid by a complete amateur. The good news is that its probably not a problem with the foundations.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:20 pm 

3 weeks ago our entire floor had to be removed as the tiles split one day. It literally was like a scene in Tremors! Luckily the landlord was pretty quick but we endured 10 days of our house being a building site.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:50 pm 

My friend with the exploding floor can sympathise.
They've just finished laying new tiles in his entire flat, all rooms, am extremely noisy affair. It would have been necessary to move everything out of the flat for a few weeks, then move back in, all at his own expense.
My friend has moved out just before the renovations started, not renewing his contract.

I've heard from two more people with exploding floors in YSW recently. It seems to be a not uncommon problem in village houses during the coldest days of winter.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:55 am 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

This happened to the house of a friend of mine and they successfully claimed the repair costs from their insurance agency. ($19000)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:36 pm 

As expected, the cold weather has caused many more tiles in Lamma's village house to crack, inside flats and even on rooftops:

This cold-weather topic is hotly discussed right now:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2418687010/permalink/10153330671762011/