[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Seeking advice for living on Lamma
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:02 pm 

I really like YSW and want to live there as soon as I can.

However I read from this forum that it is "normal" to see poisonous snakes, giant centipedes and spiders etc. and feel worried about this. :oops:

I am planning to stay somewhere near the pier, somewhere along the Main Street and not further down though. Will I still get snakes "visiting" my flat?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:11 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Yes, lots of poisonous snakes, centipedes and rabid dogs roaming around.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:15 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

I've only ever had one bamboo pit viper visit my house.

Centipedes nestling in your bedsheets and giving you a painful bite are more common, no matter where you live.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:26 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

I have to agree with the other answers in this forum. Living on Lamma has numerous positive sides, but also many negative ones. If you're afraid of poisonous snakes, centipedes, aggressive dogs and assorted wildlife roaming around, and, most dangerous and obnoxious, all-year mosquitoes wherever you live, you might not like living here.

There are also at least a dozen other major drawbacks to consider, see separate, top-level forums in this section. And many of the advertised rents have risen massively, often doubled to HK Island levels and beyond, especially in the Greater YSW area. There are many reasons that Lamma's population has only grown by an average of less than 1%/year over the last 10+ years, far below the HK-wide population growth.

But if you're not fazed about all these drawbacks and learn to adapt to them, there are many positive sides and you might love it here, like many of us oldtimers. Alternatively, you might run away after a few months, returning to the safety and comfort of the big island across the Lamma Channel, like a considerable number of new arrivals.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:58 pm 

Centipedes are very active in spring/summer time. We had a number of them visiting us last summer.
Plus two snakes in our garden. :shocked:
I guess it's just part of the life living close to nature. If you can't take it, think twice before moving to Lamma.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:22 pm 

Agree with littleblom...

No snakes in our home yet, just on the dark path home at night. That's why a torch - usually a smartphone Flashlight app or widget - is crucial for the many Lammaites living off streetlamp-lit paths. Not many serious problems with snakes, except you step on one by accident...

Centipede season is coming up, when the young and very aggressive hatchlings are swarming all over our island, climbing up walls, even tiled ones and intrude our homes trough open windows and various drains. They sting without warning or provocation, in my own painful experience.

The last centipede I saw in our flat was almost exactly 1 year ago on our bathroom floor, before we taped up the drains. Better the risk of an accidental flooding than a centipede sting on your bare feet...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:59 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Well I reckon it's well and truly fair to say all of you chaps have effectively put MOST people off of living on any part of Lamma, let alone just YSW, with this particular column!

To be fair, you do not see snakes on every street corner around YSW village(ever), The centipedes can be a problem for some, although not every house has them. The rabid dogs in the village are a fallacy. Some might look a bit scruffy but will move as you go past. Has anyone actually ever been bitten by a stray in YSW?

That said, it's very hard to find residences actually in the village, close to the ferry (at a manageable rent). It's different if you look further out. Anywhere with trees and greenery around can harbour all sorts of critturs.

So it's really up to you if you can find a place to live in the "metropolis of YSW". If you decide to take a few walks in the countryside you could well come face to face with something you would prefer not to.

Good luck with whatever you decide :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:34 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:46 pm 

Thanks Boss. You really are the Boss! :D :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up:
I agree!

But we're just having a lark here, but you seem to give very similar advice as all of us scaremongering chaps! ;-)

Well, I haven't been bitten by anything more scary than a mosquito in a while.

Still waiting for my third, scheduled Tetanus shot. The Lamma Clinic seems to have to prescribe them pretty frequently.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:45 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

So what's the tetanus shot for LG? Was it that hornet bite some time ago?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:14 am 

No, from sliding down the side of the road at the bottom of Heart Attack Hill when descending from my bike, scratching my elbow bloody.
3 tetanus shots over half a year in the Lamma Clinic - love those friendly nurses! - all OK now.

Aaah, the numerous perils of leaving on Lamma...