[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - SSSSNAKESSSS!
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: SSSSNAKESSSS!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:49 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Just heard a good, probably true story about snakes on Lamma from my wife who is absolutely terrified of snakes:

Snakes have been sighted more frequently these days around Lamma, rarely biting anybody, but startling quite a few people.

A guy was staggering home late at night, not sober and not fully awake anymore. Suddenly he felt something soft under his foot. He gazed down and saw that he had just stepped on a snake! {L_IMAGE}

He jumped so high, sobering up right away! But the snake also jumped away, being even more afraid of this big guy who had just stepped (lightly) on its head and almost killed it! Both of them slithered away...

End of story...

Any more snake stories?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:29 pm 
Lord of Micturition, Keeper of the spoon

Do you know what we used to call Spanish Villas ( real name is "something in chinese terrace" Tak Shing Terrace?) its a left-turn-off up hill, on the beach road just after Scorpio Office Supply shop. (Hi Ted if you are reading this) Might be part of Tai Yuen village, dunno.

There are some dustbins just up the hill where I saw a big fat cobra stalking a cat. The stupid cat (how unusual) wouldn't move no matter how much I danced about and yelled, lets face it I was not going too close, even for a fellow cat.

Anyway Mr. Jow came out of his house (the little guy that never stops grinning that does something with the dustbins/refuse). Of course he shouted at me and called me Marlow Jai "monkey boy" and Die Bei "big nose", which he always called me because I always called him Beer Jow. And of course several things I didn't understand which included CheeSing Gwailo which I did.

Ho Ma Beer Jow, Yum Sing. Ha Ha Ha.

When he came over to see what I was pointing at he stopped grinning for the first time ever, and looked most concerned. Then he shouted Wah! Something Something! and ran away to his house. He came out of the house pushing his wife and stood behind her (and me) holding her in place and pointing at the snake and jibbering loudly. Then they had an argument and his wife pulled loose and ran off, closely followed by Jibbering Jow.

It was apparently her cat.

While they were having a fight in the garden over a long handled gardeng tool, I threw a stone at the snake and the cat ran away.

Jow bought me a bottle of Tsing Tau later for that and called me "Big Nose" several times for good measure, so it was ok.

I looked the snake up later in John Fox's or Clive Theobald's book of HK snakes and it was some sort of black and gray cobra, quite rare, but poisonous. I've seen loads of snakes on Lamma, mostly harmless ones causing women jams on Tai Peng Hill, but that was the biggest and most potentially dangerous.

One can only assume Mr Jow believed his wife to be immune to poisonous snake bites, and therefore decided she would make a good first line of defence in case the snake decided he looked tastier than the cat.

'Way to go' Beer Jow you big hero, lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:00 pm 
Over 900 messages posted
Over 900 messages posted

Snake is good in a broth. And fried skin is also good.

Post subject: Yummy snake soup!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:32 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:44 pm 
Lord of Micturition, Keeper of the spoon

Last edited by k@ on Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: !!!1
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:07 pm 
Classy Rock Goddess & Miss Lamma.com.hk!

Snakes? Seen and experienced most of them, the scariest being the banded krait that lives in our garden. I unfortunately killed a baby cobra once. Another time I accidentally snapped a snake into two when it was slithering through the door and I didn't know it was there and shut the door...

Just had a rat snake in the kitchen on Saturday night.

My cats stare at snakes but the dogs don't seem to even notice them....

http://thinkingoutloud.com.hk
Guitars & Panties:
http://guitarsandpanties.com
Sisters of Sharon:
http://www.sistersofsharon.com.hk/

Post subject: Cheshire Cat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:24 am 
Classy Rock Goddess & Miss Lamma.com.hk!

Why did you delete your post?!?!?

http://thinkingoutloud.com.hk
Guitars & Panties:
http://guitarsandpanties.com
Sisters of Sharon:
http://www.sistersofsharon.com.hk/

Post subject: Snakes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:38 am 

We live in Wang Long and in the past 6 weeks have seen 3 snakes around, including one 3 ft. brown snake.

One was under my neighbour's son's bed - he's 3 or 4, and when he finally told us about it and we caught it he just said "oh that snake, I picked him up 3 days ago".

Post subject: Welcome back
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:39 am 

Welcome back, Top Brownie!

We haven't seen you on Lamma.com.hk for a while!
You just missed the opportunity to become Miss Lamma.com.hk by posting the 1,000th message!

How's the dragonboating going?
We haven't heard from ANY dragonboaters in their Lamma.com.hk forum for 1.5 months now... :cry:

Any good stories on WATER snakes racing with dragon boats?