Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Restaurant/Bar News ~ "UFOs vs. 2 Gigs" ~ Dora Tsang interview
  WHAT'S ON?    Multi-sport classes ~ Butterflies ~ Digging for Victory! ~ ARTISTICO
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Lamma Ferries App ~ Stumbling Randomly ~ Easter Crowds? ~ Föllakzoid  

It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:27 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:26 pm 

I have a friend who is in wheelchair....I wonder if it is possible for him to go to Sok Kwu Wan by the trial? Is it convenient for wheelchair-bounded people to travel around Lamma main streets?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:35 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

The road to SKW is designed for the village vehicles and fire engines here. There are no stairs, but some rough places and a few very steep sections though. The Main Street of YSW is okay and flat. You can get to the beaches fairly easily, especially Power Station Beach, HSY Beach has a few hills on the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:20 pm 
Over 1,000 messages posted
Over 1,000 messages posted

The trail between YSW & SKW has recently been, and is in the process of being resurfaced.
Is no longer a "smooth" path, but has been replaced by "granite block" paving, & unless yr friend is looking to lose all his/her teeth, or has pneumatic tyres on the wheelchair, I'd think twice about making the trip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:14 pm 

Thank you guys for the information.
By the way, are there any wet markets or supermarkets at YSW?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:06 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

eigna wrote:
Thank you guys for the information.
By the way, are there any wet markets or supermarkets at YSW?

Not officially, but there are fish and vegetables street vendors, especially early in the morning. There are several small supermarkets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:49 pm 

Thank you very much. We will get there on 19th. See you there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:22 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Anonymous Guy wrote:
The trail between YSW & SKW has recently been, and is in the process of being resurfaced.
Is no longer a "smooth" path, but has been replaced by "granite block" paving, & unless yr friend is looking to lose all his/her teeth, or has pneumatic tyres on the wheelchair, I'd think twice about making the trip
I just took a run up there. The uneven stones sure slow down the motorised carts, but I noticed some guys pushing a hand cart also having a miserable time. The only reasons I can imagine for going from a smooth path to an uneven one would be to give the trail a rustic look and slow down cyclists and vehicles, but I have this vision of the people who came up with the idea looking at it when it's finished and saying with a grim smile: "Yes, that'll keep the damn wheelchairs off the trail."

I think it's mean-spirited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:31 pm 

Well, that's exactly what my friend and I experienced when we went to Macau, I mean the path up and down the Ruins of St. Paul.....and also in some other places in Hong Kong. Obviously most people don't really care about the handicapped. What a pity! Anyway, I might still give it a try, if my friend has no objection. You see, I don't want him to miss the beauty of the nature out there just because he can't walk. If you see a stupid woman pushing a wheelchair-bound young man up the rocky path, that's probably me and my friend...Hehe...see you!