Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:28 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:02 am 

well all that shite about western "new year's resolutions" is blown out the water by Chinese New Year. I'm new to this culture and you can all shoot me down, but to me, CNY seems to be about getting your cupboard, house, life and family in order *before the year starts* rather than the British/US/Chick Lit version of planning to get pissed on Dec 31 and making some vague promises you're never gonna keep beyond a week.
January 1 suddenly seems so shallow.
With that in mind, does anyone have any Chinese New Year Resolutions? Do such things exist? What did you do?????

Here's mine: i painted the house and stopped smoking hash. DONE. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:04 pm 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

It's great to explore and embrace a new culture - I love Chinese New Year as well. :-) I love the emphasis on family and the parties are good. The explosions, firecrackers and fireworks certainly stir the blood. In particular I love the chance to salvage great stuff out of the bins. But I'm not sure that the cleaning tradition is entirely environmentally sound. What do u think?

But do you think it's fair to compare cultures that way "all that shit about Western New Years Resolutions" etc. If someone had done the reverse in a comparison what would you have thought? Are you really being fair to Western New Year? Certainly for many it's nothing but an excuse to party but I don't think thats true for all.

One thing I love about Western New Year is the review of the past year. It's a good chance to consolidate learnings of past mistakes and triumphs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year%27s_Day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:38 pm 

oh yeah firecrackers!

i didn't mean to put down the western new year traditions - just to say i am disenchanted with them.

cleaning & environment... not sure about that. certainly the home environment is better for a spring clean, and that's the air we home-workers breathe the most. it's all very well complaining about the bus fumes, but if you've got a half-empty tin of paint thinner lurking at the back of a kitchen cupboard, it's gonna be polluting your lungs more than a fleet of dirty diesels.

and just a theory, but if everyone's spring cleaning at the same time, the recycling will be more efficient?

:oops: i am ashamed to say i recycled nothing from the big clearout. i dumped it all by the big green bins and it was gone half an hour later :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:06 pm 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

taihunggao wrote:
cleaning & environment... not sure about that. certainly the home environment is better for a spring clean, and that's the air we home-workers breathe the most. it's all very well complaining about the bus fumes, but if you've got a half-empty tin of paint thinner lurking at the back of a kitchen cupboard, it's gonna be polluting your lungs more than a fleet of diesels:

I agree that cleaning up one's living environment is a great idea - I was just refering to the practice of throwing away lots of perfectly good stuff - I once even saw a working piano in the garbage at this time of the year. And I've seen all kinds of perfectly workable furniture and houshold stuff thrown in the bins.

taihunggao wrote:
and just a theory, but if everyone's spring cleaning at the same time, the recycling will be more efficient?
:

This makes really good sense to me!! But maybe the organization or infrastructure to take advantage of this opportunity needs to be more developed. I sense a great opportunity!!

Last edited by Tavis on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:06 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

taihunggao wrote:
but if you've got a half-empty tin of paint thinner lurking at the back of a kitchen cupboard, it's gonna be polluting your lungs more than a fleet of dirty diesels.

If you were foolish enough to leave it open, yes. More of a fire risk than breathing though.
Even in the corked beer bottles they usually sell it in it should be perfectly safe.
I prefer to transfer it to a screwtop glass bottle.

Throwing away stuff like this is the kind of symbolic, wasteful "cleaning" that is not a good thing, in my opinion.

My dad was a house painter and we had dozens of half-tins of paint, brushes, and gallons of turps stored under our house. So I feel a twinge when I see people buying brushes and paint and thinner, using them for one job and throwing it all away.