Lamma Forums
http://lamma.com.hk/forum-OK/

Greetings
http://lamma.com.hk/forum-OK/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5527
Page 1 of 1

Author:  fractal [ Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Greetings

Hey Lamma-ites,

Am moving to Hong Kong in August to start playing with the Hong Kong Philharmonic. Aside from a few snags (smoking, smoking, and smoking) Lamma is enticing me and I just got back from a pleasant few days stay.

I'm worried about living in such a quiet place because my practicing might be heard for miles.. the last thing I want to do is annoy half the island. I do stick to really tame hours; since my job involves so much sound I tend to treasure peace and quiet (hence wanting to live on an outlying island) and respect the needs of others.

Anybody here remember John Clarke, the principal trumpet in the Phil, who lived in lamma until recently?

Any funk bands looking for an identity-confused classical french horn player???

Cheers,
Marc

Author:  Yogesh [ Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:42 am ]
Post subject: 

You have to let people know when you are practising for Mahler 9th. :lol:

Author:  gisela [ Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:23 am ]
Post subject: 

Yogesh wrote:
You have to let people know when you are practising for Mahler 9th. :lol:


....mmm...that should be end of Nov, beginning Dec..... :lol:

Author:  Lamma-Gung [ Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:57 am ]
Post subject: 

There are some secluded bays in South Lamma without any people, where you could practice anytime and as loud as you like...

On the other hand, your horn will definitely sound nicer (I hope) than the frequently howling choir of dogs home alone in my neighbourhood...

Author:  Yogesh [ Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

gisela wrote:

....mmm...that should be end of Nov, beginning Dec..... :lol:


Indeed, They'll perform Mahler 9 on 5-6 Dec, and Mahler 1 on 12-13 Sep.

Gisela, have you bought tickets for those concerts yet?

Author:  gisela [ Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

no la... think I still need to learn to like Mahler...although I am trying

Author:  ebriel [ Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

Somewhere near Power Station Beach/Tai Wan To might be a good bet.

I often hear Barney (or Sam?) on his trumpet from the other side of the valley, and there's often plenty of drumming at the beach as well.

If it's sounding good that day I'll turn off my Limewire and listen to live music instead. :)

Author:  fractal [ Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

Gisela -- you should come see either Mahler 1 or Mahler 5 (Jan 7 or so). I think Symphony 9 is more difficult, I think, although it is sublime for those who have come to love Mahler's works.

The 5th, of course, is home to the world-famous Adagio slow-movement for strings only, one of the most beautiful and accessible pieces of music in all of the repertoire (in my humble opinion). I'll be inviting my family to come to HK to see that one.

Symphony 1 is, as well, considered very accessible, although I think it could be slow for those who don't already treasure Mahler's music. All depends on what you like; I think the slow opening is fantastic, ethereal but earthly at the same time. I could talk about the technical merits of his scoring, use of texture, perfect understanding of all the instruments, but that is only secondary to the music. (A composer's music, like an instrumentalist's performance, should of course be so good that the audience entirely forgets about technique)

At which beach does the drumming go on? That would be fun to take part in.

It's great to see some classical music lovers on the forums. I would love to be part of a classical culture on Lamma, and even collaborate to bring in some chamber music and such. I'm a big fan of outdoor, relaxed, festival-style performances.

Author:  Yogesh [ Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

Will you be playing the solo part in the 3rd movement of Mahler 5th?

Author:  fractal [ Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

I believe that honor will be going to the principal of the Phil, Mark Vines. One heck of a solo (often jokingly called the Mahler Horn Concerto)

Author:  gisela [ Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

fractal wrote:
Gisela -- you should come see either Mahler 1 or Mahler 5 (Jan 7 or so). I think Symphony 9 is more difficult, I think, although it is sublime for those who have come to love Mahler's works.

The 5th, of course, is home to the world-famous Adagio slow-movement for strings only, one of the most beautiful and accessible pieces of music in all of the repertoire (in my humble opinion). I'll be inviting my family to come to HK to see that one.

Symphony 1 is, as well, considered very accessible, although I think it could be slow for those who don't already treasure Mahler's music. All depends on what you like; I think the slow opening is fantastic, ethereal but earthly at the same time. I could talk about the technical merits of his scoring, use of texture, perfect understanding of all the instruments, but that is only secondary to the music. (A composer's music, like an instrumentalist's performance, should of course be so good that the audience entirely forgets about technique)

At which beach does the drumming go on? That would be fun to take part in.

It's great to see some classical music lovers on the forums. I would love to be part of a classical culture on Lamma, and even collaborate to bring in some chamber music and such. I'm a big fan of outdoor, relaxed, festival-style performances.


I have Mahler 1 (Abbado conducting) at home, will definitely try get myself to listen more of that, althogh more often tempted by my other CDs...have to say I am into strings esp Cello (sorry....), it will be good if you can get Mr, Richard Bamping to move to Lamma as well....it would be lovely to have some chamber music here. Drumming is usually Sunday by the Power Station Beach (Tai Wan To).

If you are on facebook, you're welcomed to join the classical music group which I started off:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7484278532

Author:  ebriel [ Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:39 am ]
Post subject: 

Wow! Let us know if there are any outdoor performances you've got planned...we hope to be able to watch the sitar performance tomorrow at the LAC.

Tai Wan To beach gets some good drummers (Power Station Beach). I'm wary of the amount of dog*&%$ there, so prefer to hear it from my balcony w/tomato plants, bamboo & laundry instead.

Bring on the culture!!!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/