Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? YSW Library Opening Ceremony w/Carrie Lam
  WHAT'S ON?    Children's Variety Show ~ Lamma Fun Day
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Bookworm Cafe's Co-Founder ~ Instagramming ~ Lamma Life... 

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:37 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:38 pm 

I wonder why there is no live music in Lamma, I mean none

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:39 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

There is.

Look at the Music forum.

Most Sundays there is a drum jam on Power Station Beach.
There was our own music festival, Dickstock, though that may be finished, due to police harassment.
And the bars, notably the Island, have bands maybe once a month.

So there is live music here.
Not every day, but more than you'll find in Lan Kwai Fong, in fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:23 am 

Banyan Bay Cafe has had live music / jam three times this month. Pop down this Sunday early eve for another session featuring Alex and Magnus (Garoupa fame) with Summer school regulars Jonny, Andy and Tracy, all welcome. Also believe The Curs plus Spanish visitors maybe playing Island Bar on Saturday night. Who says Lamma never has live music!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:09 am 
over 500 messages posted
over 500 messages posted

I am a thinking of starting up a choir. Tentatively named as the Lovely Lamma Lullaby Choir. I aim to start auditions next month and am expecting a big turnout. Like coffee shops, wine bars, pet stores and sex toys, choir singing has become fashionable in HK. I would hasten to add that many will be rejected due to the popularity of choirs of late and only the best will get through. People, especially lammaites are developing erudite musical tastes deserving more of the transcendent compositions that air the human voice rather than the masturbatory penis stroking adolescent iconic electric guitar worship that borders between the asinine and the farsical.

But it sure is going to be fun with lusty gospel singing, lilting lullabies and some of those top of the pop favorites from the 70.s. Hot diggity dawg - I'm all in a fluster jus' thinking about it.

Of course it will be an international choir reflecting the diversity that is Lamma. We will also be singing in a variety of accents and languages, emblematic songs that caricature different nations. These range from such spine tingling and humorous masterpieces as Deutschland Deutschland uber alles to the poignant song 'Waltzing Matilda' about theft and racism. Lets not forget our crepe eating parisian lammaite bagpipers whose Gallic juices will flow like the Seine when they hear us pumping out the ever popular La Marseilllaise. Naturally, we will abide by the spirit of the Beijing games and out of respect for our Chinese host, refrain from singing about such hideous concepts like democracy.

I am also looking for an innovative choreographer to instill some funky terpsichorean moves into our show. Perhaps a bootscootin' choir.

But I really am jumping the gun here. I would dearly love some input from others regarding future directions for our choir.

Keep an eye out for info about the choir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:17 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Any musical or other event on Lamma is most welcome to send me the info (and poster, if available) to be included in our Lamma Events Calendar, plus in the Music forum and even for an occasional pre- or post-event Lamma-zine story.

Caffles, a few more details, please. Thanks!

If you invite our Official Court Music Correspondent, Nick the Bookman, or somebody else willing to write a little concert review, you might even get a review and pictures published, all for free, of course.

Sadly, no live, just recorded music at my own exhibition opening tonight after 6pm in the Sarasen Gallery in Lan Kwai Fong (see home page, in the same building as the former Deli Lamma LKF).
Too much talking and wine slurping would detract from any musical enjoyment...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:05 am 

Would love to provide more details but these have been so far very impromptu evenings, I usually am the last to know!! Nights so far have been a fun mix of musicians and singers, with guest spots from Dan James, Ash Wearn from Ireland, Kate Lock, even a traveling Dutch couple. Very much a free for all, hoping Sunday will again be a fun evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:45 pm 

That is why I thought there is no live entertainment because I came to Lamma on weekends several times, not on Sundays.
Who knows why the bars & restaurants do not use live music as a catch? Have they tried before & failed or simply they know that people in Lamma aren't interested in easy listening musics. And most live entertainment perform on weekends in stead of Sundays.