Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? YSW Library Opening Ceremony w/Carrie Lam
  WHAT'S ON?    Children's Variety Show ~ Lamma Fun Day
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Bookworm Cafe's Co-Founder ~ Instagramming ~ Lamma Life... 

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:53 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Chamber Music in Lamma
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:55 pm 

Ok, I am officially a Lamma resident now, and want to bring classical music to the island in a relaxed and enjoyable way. I think it would be great to have a chamber music series, outdoors, with wine, etc. Maybe 4-6 times a year? A number of my colleagues in the Philharmonic are interested in this idea.

My questions, for those more experienced, are as follows:

1) What would a good venue be -- outdoors preferred, and there must be a reasonable acoustic. What would a good indoors venue be?

2) Sunday nights? Seems like a good time since it could draw tourists as well as locals.

3) Would probably want to collect modest musicians' fees. It's hard to get people to play for free (I'd love Richard Bamping to play just as much as Gisela, but doubt he will be coming to lamma without a performance fee). I guess it all depends on the venue, the profits from drinks... I'd prefer to stay away from tickets but would be open to a donation idea. I've never organized an event like this before so don't know how it's done.

The big thing is the venue , and getting the right experience. Classical music is just too formal most of the time. I really want to start something that is pleasant without being stifling. Summer festivals in the US are awesome this way (Ravinia, Tanglewood, Aspen, etc.), but they are overpriced...

I wonder about getting some local restaurants as sponsors? Is this ever done?

Cheers,
Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:46 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Lamma fringe festival - a series of events including your events culminating in a big party piss up. Sounds great to me.

8 Nights with 8 themes in various places and venues / Bar and restaurants

Jazz
blues
Classical
Folk
Rock
stand up comedy,
Stage
battles of the bands on the last night or a head liner act.

Something like that. Through out the week, three could be work shops, presentations, exhibits or anything that promotes the arts.

I'm up for getting involved in putting it together.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:55 am 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

fractal wrote:
Ok, I am officially a Lamma resident now, and want to bring classical music to the island in a relaxed and enjoyable way. I think it would be great to have a chamber music series, outdoors, with wine, etc. Maybe 4-6 times a year? A number of my colleagues in the Philharmonic are interested in this idea.

My questions, for those more experienced, are as follows:

1) What would a good venue be -- outdoors preferred, and there must be a reasonable acoustic. What would a good indoors venue be?

2) Sunday nights? Seems like a good time since it could draw tourists as well as locals.

3) Would probably want to collect modest musicians' fees. It's hard to get

people to play for free (I'd love Richard Bamping to play just as much as Gisela, but doubt he will be coming to lamma without a performance fee). I guess it all depends on the venue, the profits from drinks... I'd prefer to stay away from tickets but would be open to a donation idea. I've never organized an event like this before so don't know how it's done.

The big thing is the venue , and getting the right experience. Classical music is just too formal most of the time. I really want to start something that is pleasant without being stifling. Summer festivals in the US are awesome this way (Ravinia, Tanglewood, Aspen, etc.), but they are overpriced...

I wonder about getting some local restaurants as sponsors? Is this ever done?

Cheers,
Marc

Hi Marc! Welcome to Lamma!

The Island Bar has done chamber music - quartet - in the past and it was quite popular. It's not a large venue though, depends on how many people you expect. You could try speaking to the Manager, Kumar. Not sure they could pay much other than incidental expenses though :D

Good Luck!