[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Four Peaks Race, Feb 27/28, '16
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:23 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

31st Four Peaks Race. One of the four peaks is Mt. Stenhouse.

Last year, the best time was 52 minutes:
From boat to shore, South of Mt. Stenhouse, running up to the top (the Trig Point) and down, back onto the boat!
Then they sail on to the next island and peak. The race goes on for almost two days, throughout the night. These guys and gals are nuts!

I'm considering to report and photograph them this year for the Lamma-zine...

Attachments:
Four-Peaks-Race-2015.jpg
Four-Peaks-Race-2015.jpg [ 246.05 KiB | Viewed 19911 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:42 am 

Details: http://www.abclubhk.com/Four_Peaks_Race_2015.aspx

13 boats confirmed so far:

Jarrah, Stella, Andiamo, Ymir, Wonderwall, Ramrod, Run The Land,
Yolo, The Farr Side, Darling, Ragamuffin, Banter, White Crane.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:50 pm 

Press release from the Aberdeen Boat Club:

"Simpson Marine" Four Peaks Race
Saturday 31st January and Sunday 1st February 2015

THE EVENTS

Start: Saturday 31 January 10am, Tai Tam Bay
Finish Provisional results: Monday 2 February approx.1900
Prize Giving and Full Results: Friday 6 February 7pm at Aberdeen Boat Club

First on behalf of the race organiser an immense thank you must be given this year to our title sponsor “Simpson Marine” who has agreed to support the race for the next two runnings as well.

“The Four Peaks Race embodies the Corinthian spirit of yacht racing in Hong Kong, and that’s what attracted Simpson Marine to the event. We want to help promote the yachting lifestyle, and this classic race is at the heart of Hong Kong’s yachting culture,” said Mark Russell, Group GM of Simpson Marine.

The Four Peaks Race organized by the Aberdeen Boat Club since 1985 is about extreme sailing and peak performance this is Hong Kong’s greatest challenge for sailors and runners and the only one of its kind in Asia.Tactics, practices and stamina play a big part, and rewards for all and bring competitors back again and again for both the excitement and the camaraderie. This unique sporting challenge is one of the most testing competitions in the region, it requires the highest levels of fitness and seamanship from the competitors and the best of race stewarding and safety management from the organizers. Speed and strategy on land over rough terrain, and fine seamanship and sailing skills on the water determine the winner.

For its 31st running of the race in 2015,38 boats entered a record number, with 30% new yachts to the race this year and around 300 enduring crew with the youngest participant age 14 and the oldest 70 . All the peaks will be stewarded during these two days by volunteers from the scouts groups of Hong Kong number 1964th, 36th, and 28th as well as the Hong Kong Sea School cadets and a myriad of other volunteers scattered all over Hong Kong hills.

Best spots to see the competition would be early afternoon in Saikung at the pier or Lantau off Cheung Sha beach, late afternoon in repulse bay, or if you cannot sleep you also have a chance to see runners landing at night on the same Lantau beach as before and or on Lamma Island. The finish will be on Sunday 1 February around 5AM to 6pm, weather dependent near Chung Hom Wan, Repulse bay and Ocean Park area.

THE SAILING COURSES will take the fleet From Hong Kong Island to Saikung, Ninepins, Waglan Island, Lantau, Lamma for an average of 80 nautical miles most of it during night time.

THE PEAKS to climb are Ma On Shan (702m.); Violet Hill (433m); Lantau Peak (934m); Mt Stenhouse (353m) and Peak 300, Cape d’Aguilar (300m.)

FULL INFORMATION can be seen on http://www.abclubhk.com/Four_Peaks_Race_2015.aspx (39 teams confirmed so far.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:27 pm 

The Four Peaks Race has been completed last Sunday, well after midnight.
Despite repeated media enquiries to the organisers before the race, no additional info or pictures have been made available about the race. A very low-key event with no interest to get the word out to anybody outside the yacht racing community, it seems.

Also, no word or pictures from the several Lammaite racers this year I contacted, except from a guy who actually WON the race with his team several years ago. His Lamma-zine story is coming up.

The ONLY info available about the race is this very short press release, without pictures, numbers or detailed results, see below. We know that only 30 of the 40 yachts finished this very demanding race.

"This year’s race, the 31st, took place overnight during the last weekend in January, with a record entry of 40 yachts facing the annual grueling test of mountain running and offshore sailing endurance in cool and blustery weather...

Starting from Tai Tam Bay on the S.E. Coast of Hong Kong Island the fleet split into Division A, racing class, sailing an 83 nautical mile course via Saikung for Ma On Shan Mountain, Violet Hill on HK Island, Lantau and Lamma Island Peak to finish in Deep Water Bay. While Division B cruisers sailed a shorter 58 mile course taking in Lantau, Lamma Peak, Violet Hill and the Cape D’Aguilar Peak on their way to the Deep Water Bay finish.

Line honours in the racing Division A went to Ramrod, A Farr 40 supported by Olivier Decamps. While the B Division saw the J80 Javelin first over the line under skipper Lewis Cerne. Both in the early hours of Sunday 1st February.

Inevitably a tough race of this kind had its share of equipment failures and unlucky boats becalmed in unpredictable wind holes, with consequent good natured retirements. Thanks to the experience of the crews themselves and the presence of ABC safety boats, there were no injuries sustained. One unfortunate boat grounded on the Lee Shore on Cheung Sha Beach in Lantau but after two unsuccessful attempts by the safety stand-by boat to tow off the beach, the crew of 5 successfully evacuated with their belongings and equipment.

The 30 boats to finish did so in steady order all to enjoy some pier-side or mooring relaxation – regardless of the hour – to celebrate their successful endeavours.

At the time of writing handicap results have yet to be calculated but in a race of this kind the Corinthian spirit and Camaraderie Trump Tabular results."

P.S. Some photos just went online on http://www.abclubhk.com/Four_Peaks_Race_2015.aspx, but no captions at all, so no info on where/which peak or who/which team they're showing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:21 pm 

Just been announced that we're coming back on 23 - 24 January 2016, now waiting for the race rules to be published.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:01 am 

Aberdeen Boat Club is recruiting volunteers to help on the 2016 race, if you want to find out about the race, this is the hands on way to do it. http://www.abclubhk.com/upload/Sailing/ ... 281%29.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:04 pm 

I might be interested.

But does this mean I'd have to spend a whole cold January night atop Mt. Stenhouse waiting for your 4 peaks racers to check in? ;~)

Attachments:
ABCLUBHK-Volunteers-1601-b.jpg
ABCLUBHK-Volunteers-1601-b.jpg [ 134.98 KiB | Viewed 19429 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:38 pm 

All night would be a bit of an exaggeration but yes, that's pretty much the idea :) Actually, due to a change of the course for 2016, the Stenhouse checkpoint team will get an easier ride than previously. There are three divisions in the race based on the speed of your yacht. In previous years the slower Division B boats had Stenhouse as the Second climb, getting there between about 6pm and 2am, the faster Division A1 and A2 teams had Stenhouse as the last climb, dropping runners from about 5am to 11am. A true all nighter for the checkpoint team. This time Stenhouse is the 2nd stop for everyone so you should be able to go home to a nice warm bed by 3am. Easy life!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:00 am 

Might be nicer to wait for the sunrise up there, quite a view, I think.
And then descend during the sun coming up...

So what does the night team need to do and bring along?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:15 pm 

I've only been up there in daylight and moonlight but I'm sure sunrise would be great, it usually is on HK high spots.

I'll tell you what I know but I'm a competitor not an organiser, the guys organising the race clearly do a lot of work in the background that I'm sure the rest of us don't fully appreciate. There are two main jobs carried out by the peak teams that I'm aware of. The first is to get the name of the team and the name of the runners as each team gets to the summit, each team must send a minimum of two member to the top of each peak but some teams will send three or four - special prizes for runners who do all four climbs and for teams who get everyone up at least one (you're allowed up to three full time sailors). The second job is scrutineering the runners kit. There's a whole heap of safety equipment we have to carry up to the top from a map to a sleeping bag, not fun if you go for a midnight swim when your clumsy team mate rolls the kayak over Grrrrrr. Not every team on every peak but we seem to get scrutinised on three of the four climbs.

What to bring? Warm clothes, a thermos flask and bundles of enthusiasm. Nothing raises the spirits of a cold, wet, exhausted runner more than a big cheer when you get near the top. There's always a tent at the top so the peak teams can work in shifts and get a bit of kip and the guys always seem well fed and watered so bringing a team of Sherpas might be on the essentials list too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:30 am 

Still looking for more volunteers, see above...

More info on the race...

Attachments:
Four-Peaks-Race-2016-Poster-b.jpg
Four-Peaks-Race-2016-Poster-b.jpg [ 134.07 KiB | Viewed 19407 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:58 pm 

So Lamma Gung, have you signed yourself up for a night atop a mountain?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:17 am 

Aardwolf, I'm considering training for the night by going up on New Year's Day.

But do YOU or your friends know the way up or down Mt. Stenhouse from Turtle Beach?

No paths on the Govt. maps, but some of your Four Peaks racers know the path, running up and down that way in a record 52 minutes!! See map below, East side of Shan Tei Tong, with Turtle Beach and Shek Pai Wan/Tung O Wan in the upper right corner. Maybe ride my bike to beautiful Shek Pai Wan, walk up and join the group at the pavillion high above the Sok Kwu Wan Tin Hau temple.

My wife just reminded me that it might be very slippery, a no-go, if we get more rain and the humidity remains high, unlike former, very dry and pleasant ascents.

Attachments:
Stenhouse-map-East-side.jpg
Stenhouse-map-East-side.jpg [ 285.71 KiB | Viewed 19367 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:53 pm 

Sorry L-G, been away for a while. Sounds like you've signed yourself up as a race volunteer. That's great news, see you up there albeit very briefly. I'm sure you might not regret it :wink:

I know the way up from many different locations but I'm not sharing years of blood, sweat and tears (mostly blood) on a public forum my competitors will be looking at! Drop me a line to my email address if you want anything offline and I'll trust you not to divulge.

Here's one tip for a race scrutineer that I will be kind enough to share with the other teams. The calories of food that each runner has to carry was based on a 5 pack of snack size mars bars, since then mars bars have got a little bit smaller and no longer meet the requirements but another well known chocolate bar does. Now you can nail all the teams who don't read the small print and who are foolish enough to not click on the link to this forum on the race website :D

p.s. The 52 minute record held by the superhero runners of yacht Darling isn't the time they took to climb Stenhouse, it also includes the time they took to paddle their kayak from the yacht to land and back again. Anyone can do just the run up and down in 52 mins :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:10 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:54 pm 

I'm a little disappointed but no, I won't try changing your mind. If we can have the conversation we've had and you're not eager to get involved you're probably not going to enjoy it if you do get talked into it. I love the competition and I'll volunteer if I can't race one year but I don't think I'd look forward to it either, I'm just truly grateful to those who do.

Yes, I can and have done the run in 52 but shan't be doing it again for a while. It's not too bad in training but replicating that time in the race takes some doing, hats of to those who did it. We'll be racing it at night this year so I'd expect the fastest time to be around the 1hr mark. Have emailed you back.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:51 pm 

Email from Simpson Marine:

"This year Simpson Marine will once again sponsor the Asia’s most toughest sporting challenges – Four Peaks Race.

Quick fact of Four Peaks Race:

- Extreme sport challenges – a mix of ocean sailing and hill climbing on four Hong Kong most famous peaks
- Embodies the Corinthian spirit of yacht racing in Hong Kong
- Race duration - 24 Hours
- 50 yacht race teams expected this year
- Attracted people of all ages – youngest sailor was 8 years old (Timothy Metz) and the oldest was 75 years old (Graham Cooper) in race history
- More than 4,000 participants in its history
- Race course varies from 55 to 90 nautical miles, depending on the racing division
- Minimum crew is 5 people, with a minimum of two runners climbing each peak"

Press Release:
{L_ATTACHMENT}:
Untitled-2-wp.jpg
Untitled-2-wp.jpg [ 76.39 KiB | Viewed 19472 times ]

The Simpson Marine Four Peaks Race 2016 ready to set off

The 32nd running of the Hong Kong Aberdeen Boat Club's challenging, annual extreme sports race is to be sponsored for a second year by Asia's premier full-service yacht brokerage company. On 23rd January The "Simpson Marine" Four Peaks Race will set off from Tai Tam Bay, in the south of Hong Kong Island, on one of the world's classic yacht races.
{L_ATTACHMENT}:
Untitled-3-wp.jpg
Untitled-3-wp.jpg [ 57.95 KiB | Viewed 19472 times ]
It's a classic with a difference – yachts and their crews sail and paddle and run. In peaks races yachts race from the start to a shore landing place. They put a running team ashore to run to the top of a mountain and back. Then they race on the water to the next peak…and the next…and the next, before the final sailing race to the finish.
{L_ATTACHMENT}:
Untitled-4-wp.jpg
Untitled-4-wp.jpg [ 81.73 KiB | Viewed 19472 times ]
The Hong Kong race began life in 1985, the second of its kind in the world. There are still only four others. Three are in Britain, including the original 1977 Three Peaks Race. One is in Australia. The Hong Kong race is tailor made for hard working, hard playing Hong Kong. The 170 kilometres on the water, 30 kilometres running and 2,350m of climb are completed within 33 hours.
{L_ATTACHMENT}:
Untitled-5-wp.jpg
Untitled-5-wp.jpg [ 70.34 KiB | Viewed 19472 times ]
Simpson Marine's sponsorship of the race is an ideal fit. Well known Asian boating personality Mike Simpson set up the company he has built into the present, Asia-wide, industry leader in 1984., the year before the first Four Peaks Race.
The Beneteau yacht range for which Simpson Marine was soon the Hong Kong agent has proved an excellent fit for the race. From the first 'works' entry Beneteau 345 in 1986 until today, some twenty different Beneteau yachts have competed in twenty-one of the thirty-one races.

In 2015 six Beneteaus, from two First 31.7s to a First 50 made up 15% of the fleet. In the upcoming 2016 race all Beneteaus entered will vie for the newly presented Simpson Marine Beneteau Cup.

Last year's Simpson Marine campaigners on the Oceanis 45 Wonderwall, Hong Kong brokers David Walder and Eric Chan, found the race "a tough experience – big physical effort" but loved it. That's typical of almost every comment heard after the race whether it has been cold, wet, windy and rough or a challenging drift in light airs. "Awesome." "We're already planning next year." "Totally addictive." "The best race in Hong Kong."
{L_ATTACHMENT}:
Untitled-6-wp.jpg
Untitled-6-wp.jpg [ 130.15 KiB | Viewed 19472 times ]
What is it that works the magic? The answers are as many as those who are asked. For the competitors they boil down to the adventure. The hard challenges. The need for meticulous planning…but total flexibility in execution. The demands on a full range of seamanship. The close camaraderie created by teamwork under pressure.

There's nothing like a peaks race. It's not for everyone. But for those who know it's a rush.
Watch the race with us. Book your space on the Simpson Marine spectator boat.
RSVP before 18 January to wilse.lo@simpsonmarine.com

About Simpson Marine

SIMPSON MARINE was founded in 1984 in Hong Kong by Mike Simpson as a yacht sales and charter company focused on meeting the needs of the developing marine industry in Asia. By the end of the 1980's the company had been appointed regional distributor for several leading European yacht brands, and had recruited an expanding team of sales and after sales service professionals around the region.

Today the company employs over 100 professional staff and has a well-established sales and service network across Asia with seventeen offices spread within: Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia. Simpson Marine represents some of Europe's and the United States' most prestigious yacht brands and with 30 years of experience in Asia, has developed a reputation for delivering exceptional service for prospective, current and past clients in all aspects of yacht purchase and ownership.

SIMPSON MARINE is Asia's leading international yacht dealership, brokerage and service company and is considered to have played a pioneering role in the development of the yachting industry in Asia. The company possess its own Superyacht Division based in Hong Kong and Charter Company in Thailand.

For more information on Simpson Marine and the Four Peaks Race, please contact:
Ewa Stachurska
Group Marketing Manager, Simpson Marine
Ewa.stachurska@simpsonmarine.com
+ 86 157 10 133 973
http://www.simpsonmarine.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:32 pm 

Weather forecast is awful, can see the organisers having to cancel. It's not going to be very safe out there for runners or sailors and it's going to be pretty tough for the volunteers camped out on mountain tops all night too. You chose a good year not to offer your services L-G!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:33 pm 

According to the organisers it's still on.

They just asked me this afternoon to join the media pack at 7:30am tomorrow morning to take their boat to the race start. I'd have joined with non-rainy weather, but my zoom photos tomorrow would be too bad for publication, I think.
Getting photos and hopefully a fe lines from the midnight top of Mt. Stenhouse volunteers.

See you at the prize ceremony next Friday?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:35 pm 

Not any more, race has been postponed due to the extreme conditions. Disappointing but sensible decision. Oh well, back to training...