Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: New avatar for you?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:23 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Just in case you've been wondering about my new avatar, the little picture on the left of each post which I've just updated, see the second half of today's Lamma-zine story, Sep 6, 2012.
It's scanned from an SCMP newspaper editorial cartoon by Senior Lammaite Harry Harrison, published Thu, Aug 30. I'll be using it with his kind permission here, in the Lamma-zine and on Facebook.

I've also just received the high-quality scan of the original cartoon, upon my request to Harry directly, see the scaled-down version below, looking so much better than in the SCMP newspaper.
The colours in my avatar are scanning artefacts, from the scanning resolution being close to the resolution of the SCMP's printing, generating rainbow colours. I like the surprising colours and kept them, even though the cartoon is in B/W.

If you don't "get" the cartoon:
It's poking fun at the the HK Tourism Board Chairman complaining in the media recently about 4 million more Shenzhen residents getting visas to visit HK. As they'd add to the tourism arrival numbers, the lifeblood and main measure of success of the HKTB, this is a most surprising stance for their Chairman, basically telling them to Clear Off! and stay home.

If you want to get or update your own avatar, you can select from our huge library in your forum Profile, or upload any 100*100 pixels image, even animated GIF files would be OK. If you've got a favourite image you'd like to use, but don't know how to crop, scale and prepare it, email it to me and I'll be happy to help.

Attachments:
File comment: SCMP editorial page, Thu, Aug 30, 2012, by Harry Harrison.
Harry-Clear-Off!-wp.jpg
Harry-Clear-Off!-wp.jpg [ 144.4 KiB | Viewed 1117 times ]