[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Ferry collision 01/10/12
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:08 am 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

I think it unfair to criticize the ferry for making way straight to safety - it must surely be exactly what they should have done to protect the passengers on board.

But, a serious review of the staff training, attitudes, working conditions, safety procedures, etc is a must with HKKF.

We must wait to see what is revealed through investigation, I know.
But I can't for the life of me imagine why this disastrous incident occurred on a perfectly clear evening. There was no fog - they had unobstructed vision as well as radar. What's going on in those cabins?

I DO NOT TRUST HKKF! How can we continue to trust them with the lives of our families and friends?

I have personally been on the ferry when they had a near miss. On that occasion the fog was very thick. The ferry suddenly changed course drastically and then the rocks of Green Island came into view right beside the boat. We had been so close to crashing into the rocks. At that time I was pretty angry about it because I know they have radar and I felt there was no excuse. Last night they didn't even have fog to contend with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:02 am 

I work for AFP and we have just had it confirmed there are now 36 dead after the ferry crash. The toll could rise further as there may still be bodies inside the Hong Kong Electric boat.

Very sombre morning in the newsroom here.

------------------------------------------------------------
HongKong-accident-ferry-toll,lead
URGENT ¥¥¥ 36 killed in Hong Kong ferry collision: official

HONG KONG, Oct 2, 2012 (AFP) - Thirty six people were killed when a ferry and a pleasure craft collided off Hong Kong, officials said Tuesday.
"Twenty eight were certified dead at the scene while eight others were certified dead upon arrival (at) hospitals," the government said in a statement, raising the death toll by 11 from Monday night's incident.
smc/sr

Last edited by Danielh9 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:03 am 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Heartfelt thoughts for those lost, their families and their friends.

Post subject: ferry
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:05 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Last night was a terrible and I'm sure an avoidable tragedy! This should never of happened! Yesterday they were sending ferries back and forth, loading people on and off! I'm sure the ferry people were exhausted, with no proper rest time and breaks accidents are bound to happen. My worry is that they are now going to start using the small fast ferries, while waiting for a replacement 'new' ferry. I have to say the small ferries fill me with fear,I'm sure I'm not the only one, we need stronger more sturdier ferries to carry the growing number of residents and tourists to our island safely! HKKF need to start training their staff so we have the uttermost confidence in their abilities when there is a crisis aboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:24 am 

This is the latest official GIS (Government Information Service) bulletin issued to at 8.44am today:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vessel collision incident near Lamma Island (2)

As at 7.45am today (October 2), 28 were certified dead at scene while eight others were certified dead upon arrival of hospitals. Over 100 people were sent to five hospitals during the incident, nine of them have sustained serious injuries or are in critical condition.

Rescue action will continue as Fire Service Department cannot rule out that there are still people inside the vessel or missing. Those who suspected that their relatives are missing in the incident can call the Police enquiry hotline 1878 999.

Ends/Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Issued at HKT 08:44

NNNN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:29 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Very sad news and hard to imagine how it was possible...I saw the helicopter with the spot light from YSW and when I heard the sketchy news that a lamma ferry may have went down I ran to that rocky outcrop to see if anyone was trying to swim or made it ashore on Lamma. It was such a clear night yesterday....should have never happened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:42 am 

This is the boat that went down

Attachments:
LAMMA_IV.jpg
LAMMA_IV.jpg [ 106.81 KiB | Viewed 5424 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:03 am 

I took this picture this morning about nine o'clock on the way to Pak Kok village. seems like they are trying to stop it from sinking entirely

Attachments:
Lamma Ferry accident_small.jpg
Lamma Ferry accident_small.jpg [ 125.37 KiB | Viewed 5337 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:07 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19796384

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/01/world ... l?hpt=hp_t

http://www.smh.com.au/world/hong-kong-f ... 26w26.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -dead.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:56 pm 

Latest GIS bulletin -- press conference later....

CE convenes inter-departmental meeting on vessel collision
incident near Lamma Island this morning

The Chief Executive, Mr C Y Leung, today (October 2) convened an inter-departmental meeting with senior Government officials, including the Chief Secretary for Administration, the Secretary for Justice, the Secretary for Transport and Housing, the Secretary for Home Affairs, the Secretary for Labour and Welfare, the Secretary for Security, the Secretary for Education, the Secretary for Food and Health, and the Commissioner of Police, the Director of Home Affairs, the Director of Social Welfare, the Director of Marine, the Director of Fire Services and the Chief Executive of the Hospital Authority, on the vessel collision incident near Lamma Island to discuss the follow-up actions, including rescue work, relief and support services to the concerned family members, as well as investigation of the incident.

The Chief Executive will hold an inter-departmental press conference with relevant Secretaries of Departments and Directors of Bureaux this afternoon to report on the latest progress.

Ends/Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Issued at HKT 12:54

NNNN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:02 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:35 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

HK Electric Press Release

2 October 2012 (10:45 am)

Chairman and Deputy Chairman of Hutchison Whampoa Limited, Mr Li Ka-shing and Mr Victor Li Tzar-kuoi, expressed great sorrow for the fatal ferry crash last night and they passed on their condolences to the victims and their families. They have also asked management and employees of HK Electric to extend full support to those colleagues and their families affected by this tragedy, so as to help them get over this difficult time.

Chairman of HK Electric, Mr Canning Fok Kin-ning, said the company has been contacting staff and their families since the tragedy happened last night, and has been accompanying victims and their family members in hospitals overnight to offer immediate assistance. The company will mobilise all resources to help those being affected by this tragedy to meet their pressing needs.

Mr Fok said, “Cheung Kong Centre has already lowered Group flags to half mast to express the Group’s sorrow and condolences. A high level co-ordination team has been set up to co-ordinate the aftermath. HK Electric’s hotline 2843 3391 is still in operation and will be manned round the clock. We urge colleagues needing help to contact us as soon as possible.” Mr Fok added that the company has also arranged professional counsellors to help victims, staff and their families, and employees disturbed by this tragedy.

Mr Fok thanked the Government, medical staff and all government departments, organisations engaged in rescue operations. He stressed that the company will fully co-operate with the Government in the investigation and will pursue against parties responsible for the crash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm 

Updated story from SCMP:
(all major newspapers have been sold out this morning in Yung Shue Wan and the published SCMP story was from around 2am. Story updated below at noon today):

36 confirmed dead in ferry collision off Lamma Island

At least 36 dead after an evening cruise to watch the National Day fireworks celebration ends in tragedy

Tuesday, 02 October, 2012, 12:00am

Joyce Ng, Stuart Lau, Danny Mok and Ada Lee

At least 36 people died after two ferries collided off Lamma Island on Monday night, throwing more than 100 passengers into choppy waters and triggering a massive rescue effort.

“Twenty eight were certified dead at the scene while eight others were certified dead upon arrival at hospitals,” the government said in a statement, raising the death toll by 11 from Monday night’s incident.

Some 124 people on the Lamma IV, a vessel owned by Hongkong Electric, were thrown into waters near Yung Shue Wan when it was hit by a passenger ferry travelling from Central.

Rescuers pulled 123 out of the water, said acting deputy director of fire services, James Ng Kuen-chi, who confirmed the death toll at 5am on Tuesday.

The accident happened at 8.23pm when the power company's boat was heading to Central with staff and their families to watch the National Day fireworks display. The vessel was half sunk in the water with the bow pointing up at an angle of 90 degrees.

The Hospital Authority confirmed at midnight that eight of 53 people admitted to four hospitals were dead.

A man brought ashore at the pier near South Horizons in Aberdeen said:
"After 10 minutes out a boat crashed into ours from the side at very high speed. The rear of the ferry started to sink. I suddenly found myself deep under the sea. I swam hard and tried to grab a life buoy.
I don't know where my two kids are."

Another woman at the pier said: "I swam for a long time to reach the surface and swallowed a lot of water. Then I found a rescue boat."

Some of those rescued were taken to Queen Mary, Ruttonjee, Queen Elizabeth, and Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospitals for treatment, with some on stretchers and unconscious.

Rescue workers try to board the stricken ferry in the early hours of Tuesday morning. Photo: Sam Tsang

While they earlier waited for ambulances at the Ap Lei Chau pier, they were wrapped with blankets or aluminium foil to keep warm. A paramedic at Queen Mary Hospital said some of the survivors were suffering hypothermia and four had to be resuscitated.

Without naming Hong Kong and Kowloon Ferry, Yuen Sui-see, Hong Kong Electric's director of operations, blamed the other vessel for the tragedy.

"The ferry rammed the side of our boat. They didn't bother and just left," he said.

Yuen said the power company's captain was experienced and sailed in the waters daily. He said there was no problem with safety or overloading as it was able to carry 200 passengers.

A spokeswoman for Hong Kong and Kowloon Ferry said the ferry was arriving at Lamma from Central. She said no one on that ferry fell into the sea but a few passengers had sought treatment at a Lamma clinic.

"Relevant government departments are making all-out efforts to rescue people who fell into the sea after the collision.

"Senior officials and I will closely monitor the situation. We will do whatever we can," he said.

After visiting victims in Queen Mary Hospital at 1am, he said the government emergency co-ordination centre had started operations and was focused on searching for the missing. He had met HK Electric management.

"We must thoroughly investigate the cause of the incident."

In an unusual appearance, Li Gang, a deputy director of the central government's liaison office in Hong Kong, went to the hospital with Leung and offered his condolences.

"We are deeply sorry about the dead citizens," Li said.

He said he would liaise with Guangdong and request them to send salvage ships.

It was the second National Day calamity after a 15-year-old boy was swept away in Shek O and drowned and another was missing.

RTHK News

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm 

why is there no press release from HKKF?

Post subject: Photos
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:48 pm 

Here are some photos I took today and last night. The close up is on the front of SCMP.com right now

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trey333/se ... 672569395/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:14 pm 

Email from Rihannon:

I note several of your forum users have reported seeing first-hand the terrible crash near Lamma.

As your forum users note, much of the information sent to media appears confused – we would love to hear from residents and witnesses the true story as to what happened.

Would it be possible for you to pass my email along to anyone who would like to comment? This is for an Australian national media online website with a focus on world news (SBS World News Australia).

Email Rhiannon.Elston@sbs.com.au.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:40 pm 

Photos submitted by Stephen Thompson and Robbie Ryan. Thank you very much!

Some of this forum's posts made it onto the SCMP website:

Grief over ferry tragedy unites Hongkongers online

Any eyewitness photos taken from inside HKKF's Sea Smooth ferry?

Attachments:
File comment: by Robbie Ryan
!Robbie-Ryan-photo4.jpg
!Robbie-Ryan-photo4.jpg [ 15.76 KiB | Viewed 4569 times ]
File comment: by Robbie Ryan
!Robbie-Ryan-photo1.jpg
!Robbie-Ryan-photo1.jpg [ 29.41 KiB | Viewed 4569 times ]
File comment: Ferry Accident - by Stephen Thompson
Stephen-Thompson-Lamma-Ferry-accident.jpg
Stephen-Thompson-Lamma-Ferry-accident.jpg [ 159.39 KiB | Viewed 4569 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:23 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:45 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:53 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next