[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Near miss
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Near miss
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:16 am 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

7:00 ferry to Central came oh sooo close to hitting the cargo boat to Sai Ying Pun this morning. A moment after pulling away from the pier we suddenly decelerated and then the cargo boat slid past us from behind on the port side. It was very very close - surely only a few inches apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:55 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

There are near misses every day, it's quite scary to be honest, can't wait for my rental to finish so I can move and not have to risk my life every day taking the ferry to and from Lamma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:01 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Life is risky ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 pm 

yeah nothing is interesting or remarkable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 pm 

It was a little scary seeing that large cargo boat skim by us so closely as we were still slowing down. I'm telling you, if there'd been barnacles on the hull they'd have been scraped off!!! I wish I'd had the presence of mind to get my camera out and take a video to prove it to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:35 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

It's not like we don't believe you, but these things really do happen every day. On Thursday the ferry was close to hitting DB's ferry after a clumsy move when reversing from the pier in Central.

However, I have yet to see any stats that would show that ferries are more dangerous than buses, especially in such a safe place that Hong Kong is.

I say I'm more likely to win enough money in Macau to buy my own ferry than to die or get injured in a ferry crash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:21 am 

This wasn't an "every day" occurrence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:19 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Considering that there has never been an actual collision I can recall, except for Lamma IV, and in that no one on the HKKF ferry was injured, I think that they remain very safe, statistically. Comparing with the hundreds that die on the roads every year.

It's like air travel, the rare but dramatic disasters make people more fearful than they should be. Seeing a large ferry come unexpectedly "close" may be scary to passengers, but unless the captain has been drinking on the job, just coming out of the berth the captains should have both been paying very close attention, and after Lamma IV would not be taking any risks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:02 pm 

You're totally right, the ferries here are extremely safe, and it's silly to think you're "risking your life" by getting on one of them every day. But it's equally silly to assert that it's "every day" that a cargo ship cuts you off and passes within a few feet as your ferry is accelerating from the pier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:45 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:52 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:12 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:32 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:14 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:27 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:48 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:12 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:29 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:14 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:20 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

I have looked at a bunch of facts from the Marine Department website. Did you know that in 2011 there where over 200 collisions of commercial traffic outside of the Typhoon shelters? 40% of them involved passenger ferries. That is almost 2x week!

Over the last several years there have been critical injuries, at least one death I found, and several accidents that injured over 100 people. One of them 132 injuries.

In 2003 the MARDEP commissioned a report on traffic analysis and accident prevention. They predicted there would be fewer accidents involving larger ships and therefore more damage. A trend proving true. And they do nearly NOTHING about it!

The ferries are operated in a reckless and negligent manner and the MARDEP is complicit in that!

Without huge changes the next fatality is just around the corner. It's like predicting an earthquake. We know the places at greatest risk, but you can't predict exactly WHEN.

And the ferries here are NOT safe. The incident that Tavis is talking about should never happen, and if it does both the skipper should have severe punishments, but they won't and that is the reason why the ferries here are so dangerous,

The boats that have the most collisions are the Pearl River Delta cargo vessels. Add that to the fact that the ferries have collisions 2x week and I can tell you that it is only a matter of time before a bigger ferry is sunk by one of these (large) Delta ships with a massive loss of life. The Macau ferries are at grave risk due to their high speed coupled with large size (= high energy collision) and they have already had many several accidents.

The only question is if it is next week, next month, next year, 5 years, or this evening!

You read it here first!

BTW, Ferries HAVE collided with much larger Pearl River cargo vessels, one ferry even rammed a container ship before.

These are not normal occurrences in crowded harbours in the first world.