Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? YSW Library Opening Ceremony w/Carrie Lam
  WHAT'S ON?    Children's Variety Show ~ Lamma Fun Day
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Bookworm Cafe's Co-Founder ~ Instagramming ~ Lamma Life... 

It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:01 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Aberdeen Ferry Updates
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:47 am 

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 12 August 2008 11:13:32 AM GMT+08:00
Subject: meeting Tonight with Transport Dept 8pm football pitch Yung Shue Wan

Please pass this on to anyone who might take the Aberdeen ferry

Transport Dept
Village Reps
Yue Lai Fan

will all be attending

8pm Football Pitch - Yung Shue Wan - Tuesday 12 August 2008

(this has been confirmed by Mr Chow to Mrs Chan in Pak Kok)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:30 pm 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

今天(8月12日)晚上2000榕樹灣足球場,有關香港仔航線大會
運輸署,余麗芬,村代表將會出席
請各位乘搭香港仔航線的街坊一定要參加
http://www.lamma.com.hk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5691

Facebook Group
關注南丫島渡輪服務Concern for Lamma Ferry Service :
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10042377387

Last edited by gisela on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:30 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

Chocolap,

Thank you so much indeed! :bow:

See you there, honey!
: :wink:

:thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:37 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

今日傾成點呀?? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:16 am 

siuyu wrote:
今日傾成點呀?? :roll:

聽講八點開始,
九點就走人
如果得一個鐘
邊得夠時間問
居民意見都唔夠時間表達啦

會唔會有咳吐(Part 2)o架

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:05 am 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

I know that many residents are prepared to accept this price increase, but I find it to be exorbitant. It's not like the Aberdeen route has low ridership - these boats are often packed. A lot of tourists use this route as well - why does the fare have to be so much higher than the fare from Yung Shue Wan to Central? I think it's greed on the part of the ferry company. And, I think that while the 2 ferry companies have different management structures they share a director, and I'm guessing (could be wrong - I know) that if one dug deep enough one would find that the money went into the same pockets. So has making the bid by a separate company been a strategy to squeeze more money out of riders by forcing separate monthly pass purchases? I travel to Central for work but also need to regularly travel to Aberdeen because of family arrangements. Purchasing the pass for the ferry to Central has become uneconomical for me since the price increase and change to fare structure makes paying separately and buying the pass work out to the same amount (I only work occasional Saturdays) and the pass to Aberdeen is totally out of the question. What good is a pass that doesn't even give any advantage to someone working 5 days a week? I would have thought that the idea of providing a pass would be to give some advantage to your regular customers and to local residents. I have an underlying suspicion that this whole ferry BS has been an orchestrated strategy by HKKF to pull more money out of Lamma residents - a big game of poker and a shell game. And I feel a local politician is somehow involved. Last night when Yue Lai Fan said that all of our thoughts and feelings were also her thoughts and feelings I felt like shouting 'bullshit!' How could anyone in a position like that say something so stupid? Such a transparent political lie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:09 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Venting here won't achieve much. Try writing to the newspapers.

I do wonder why the ICAC never seems to investigate the shenanigans going on here. Maybe it's just incompetence, but sometimes it does smell like corruption.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:26 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Tavis,

You left the meeting early as I arrived half an hour late from town and didn't see you around. It got a lot more heated later on and there were a lot of shouts of "bullshit" and the like, even a bit of heckling and calls for protest actions and boycotts. It looked and sounded like grassroots democracy in action, except that it all probably won't make any difference at all to ferry riders in the current we-know-what's-best-for-you political system.

The best we can hope for at this late point in time are small adjustments to the all-new-and-different Aberdeen ferry schedules to accommodate early riders like children and teachers, plus the many people switching over to and from the YSW-Central ferry.

Tavis, your main point is incorrect, I believe, about the two ferry companies being owned by the same people, unlike the two "subsidiaries" of HKKF that run the Sok Kwu Wan and YSW ferry services. HKKF couldn't be convinced at all up to yesterday to continue the Aberdeen route, even at the new fare.

So it'll be Tsui Wah ferry, a completely different and tiny ferry operator not owned or affiliated to HKKF as far as I know, starting this Friday. We'll get two small, not air-conditioned boats that take 40 minutes to get to Aberdeen, not co-ordinated yet with the YSW-Central ferries and a 31-51% fare increase. Sounds quite like an everybody-loses situation to me...

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:05 pm 

Message from chocolap.
(Let's keep all of these Aberdeen Ferry messages in one single topic, otherwise it becomes almost impossible for anybody to follow what's happening.)

(Forwarded message)

Dear All,

From last night meeting I understood that Transport Dept. had spoken to HKKF yesterday, and apparently HKKF confirmed no they were not interested in the service.

This morning I have spoken to a Director of HKKF.
He confirms that Transport Dept. called HKKF yesterday and told them off for contacting the Lamma Community.
HKKF yesterday told Transport Dept. that in fact the Lamma Community had contacted them and not the other way round.
HKKF did not confirm they were not interested. HKKF hands are tied because the Transport Department will not talk to them and the tender.
Transport Dept. have closed the door.

HKKF have not been asked to continue the service until this is resolved and the new service will commence as scheduled.

I will be sitting down with one or two of the Directors of HKKF tomorrow (not today), when I should be given the fare structure & timetable that was given to the Transport Department. We will then be given the choice of HKKF or the new company. HKKF have been given a copy of the Govt. document with the new fare structure and new time table. I have been told the fare structure is higher than the current tender.

The new service I am informed will be a captain and a coxswain who will collect the fares and no one will be stationed at the pontoon in Aberdeen.

I do not have the mailing list for YSW from lammaferry@gmail.com so please could I ask that they inform YSW accordingly.

Best regards,

Andrew Wilcockson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:17 pm 

Andrew Wilcoxon wrote:
We will then be given the choice of HKKF or the new company.

Really? That's not at all what I heard last night and I wonder if the Transport Dept. would agree to that after HKKF resigned from the tender in the first place. Let's hope that you're right.

But who'd be "us" getting the choice? A local vote amongst all residents, a first in village politics? Grassroots democracy? More likely the Rural Committee and District Councilors deciding for all of us, probably simply choosing the lowest bid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:31 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Is this what all of those protest notices stuck on Yu Lai Fan's shutter this morning were about? They were in Chinese so I couldn'r read them, but the police seemed to be taking a keen interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:50 pm 

Oh well, looks like I won't need to go to the gym with all that walking over Mt Heartattack coming up....

Jeffree, Pak Kok.

PS: Think I can hit my landlord for a rent decrease to cover my own private sanpan? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:00 pm 
over 500 messages posted
over 500 messages posted

i guess rents and property prices will plunge back to the days when the kaido service ran via the tannery with dead skins on board

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:27 pm 

Submitted by a Pak Kokian:

All people need to do is reply to her ("Janice SY LAI" janicelai@td.gov.hk ) if they'd like to attend.

Subject: Aberdeen - Pak Kok Tsuen - Yung Shue Wan

Dear Sir / Madam,

Having noted that residents of Lamma Island have concerns on the new timetable of the "Aberdeen - Pak Kok Tsuen - Yung Shue Wan" ferry service, which have been forwarded to you earler this afternoon, we are prepared to meet you on 15 August 2008 for further discussion so that suitable adjustments can be made on the timetable to better suit your needs. Details of the meeting are as follows:

Date: 15 Aug 2008 (Fri)
Time: 7 pm
Venue: 41/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong.

As there is security control in Immigration Tower after the office hours, please advise if you will join the meeting on or before noon on 15 Aug 2008. Thank you for your attention.

Janice Lai, Transport Department

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:42 pm 

Here are the revised time tables, fresh off the copiers. After last night's meeting, this is very quick feedback, especially the first ferries are now at least half an hour earlier:

Attachments:
Aberdeen-times-080815-Eng.jpg
Aberdeen-times-080815-Eng.jpg [ 101.93 KiB | Viewed 12268 times ]
Aberdeen-times-080815-Chi.jpg
Aberdeen-times-080815-Chi.jpg [ 132.41 KiB | Viewed 12268 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:49 pm 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

Lamma-Gung wrote:
Submitted by a Pak Kokian:

All people need to do is reply to her ("Janice SY LAI" janicelai@td.gov.hk ) if they'd like to attend.

Subject: Aberdeen - Pak Kok Tsuen - Yung Shue Wan

Dear Sir / Madam,

Having noted that residents of Lamma Island have concerns on the new timetable of the "Aberdeen - Pak Kok Tsuen - Yung Shue Wan" ferry service, which have been forwarded to you earler this afternoon, we are prepared to meet you on 15 August 2008 for further discussion so that suitable adjustments can be made on the timetable to better suit your needs. Details of the meeting are as follows:

Date: 15 Aug 2008 (Fri)
Time: 7 pm
Venue: 41/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong.

As there is security control in Immigration Tower after the office hours, please advise if you will join the meeting on or before noon on 15 Aug 2008. Thank you for your attention.

Janice Lai, Transport Department

rough translation of TD's letter

由于南丫島居民對于香港仔-北角村-榕樹灣航綫今天發出的的新的時間表表示關注, 我們將與8月15日與您們會面以進一步商討是否需要進一步調整時間表,以切合居民需要,會議時間如下:

日期:8月15日(星期五)
時間:7pm
地點:灣仔告士打道7號入境事務處大樓41樓
由于入境事務處大樓在辦公時間之後實施安全檢查,請在8月15日中午前確認是否會參加是次會議

Facebook Group
關注南丫島渡輪服務Concern for Lamma Ferry Service :
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10042377387

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:22 pm 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

Lamma-Gung wrote:
Tavis,

You left the meeting early as I arrived half an hour late from town and didn't see you around. It got a lot more heated later on and there were a lot of shouts of "bullshit" and the like, even a bit of heckling and calls for protest actions and boycotts. It looked and sounded like grassroots democracy in action, except that it all probably won't make any difference at all to ferry riders in the current we-know-what's-best-for-you political system.

The best we can hope for at this late point in time are small adjustments to the all-new-and-different Aberdeen ferry schedules to accommodate early riders like children and teachers, plus the many people switching over to and from the YSW-Central ferry.

Tavis, your main point is incorrect, I believe, about the two ferry companies being owned by the same people, unlike the two "subsidiaries" of HKKF that run the Sok Kwu Wan and YSW ferry services. HKKF couldn't be convinced at all up to yesterday to continue the Aberdeen route, even at the new fare.

So it'll be Tsui Wah ferry, a completely different and tiny ferry operator not owned or affiliated to HKKF as far as I know, starting this Friday. We'll get two small, not air-conditioned boats that take 40 minutes to get to Aberdeen, not co-ordinated yet with the YSW-Central ferries and a 31-51% fare increase. Sounds quite like an everybody-loses situation to me...

Actually, Gung, one of the representatives from the transport department explained that one of the directors of Tsui Wah is also a director of HKKF but that the other directors are not common to the two companies, so they are different companies with different management. There was also partial ownership of Tsui Wah by HKKF but I didn't hear the %. So, according to the Transport Department there are definitely open ties between the companies. Is it possible that connections can run deeper than what is immediately obvious? I'm not a corporate type, but I'm pretty sure that it's possible.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:41 pm 

The feedback from the first few journeys on the ferry today are:

1. Accident involving female passenger slipping on deck - bruises and wet trousers - no real damage. Flooring is very slippery, even oily and wet.

2. Accident on same ferry - male passenger bumping his head on a metal protrusion - sore head, small amount of blood.

3. Impossible to get off at Pak Kok with a child and a trolley of shopping - very scarey

4. Strong smell of diesel if you sit inside the ferry downstairs

5. Toilets - too disgusting to mention

6. Ferrymen doing their best, not armed with calculator so ticket selling was time consuming

7. Same lady working on the jetty in Aberdeen - now throwing and catching ropes as well as selling tickets

8. Life jackets kept in two trunks on bottom deck of ferry - if there was a need to put them on, there would be chaos with everyone scrambling to the same point on the ferry to retrieve them

that's all for now - will keep you posted as and when and if there is more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:58 pm 

A quick note to inform you of the outcome of the meeting that took place last night at the Transport Dept.

Carol Cheung, Carey Wong and Don Ho from the Transport Dept attended.
Selina Chow (liberal party) and Chow Wing Kam (district councillor Yune Long) attended
Village Head Mr Chow from PK, Mr Shum YSW and Yue Lai Fan attended

The message was relayed regarding how displeased everyone feels regarding

1. increase in price
2. long turnaround time of the ferry
3. general timetable
4. condition of boat - non aircon, 1920's toilet, unaccessible life jackets, unsafe, slippery etc etc etc (the two accidents from the 15th were mentioned)

The TD were expecting us to be talking about the timetable and how it could be tweaked - we stopped them short

All attending the meeting stood strong and gave across the message that we were unwilling to accept the current service and that we want a boat similar to the HKKF boats, giving the same timetable as before for a price that is not unreasonable (Selina Chow feels our current 37% IS unreasonable).

The Transport Dept are going to look into it and were given a deadline of one week to report back with a workable solution

- they will do this by emailing Tracey Duggan in PK, Mr Shum in YSW, Brenda Yin Ping in YSW, Maggie in PK and Paul Lau in YSW - we will distribute any news we have via email and by printing and posting up news on the notice boards in our villages. In addition, news will be available on the TD's website - we did ask that all Lamma residents were sent news by post - we are all tax payers and as a govt. dept they can search their database for this - not sure if this will happen.

Please note that this is news only - we asked to be kept in the picture - we stressed that we needed to know the progress of this matter, not the outcome suddenly.

Selina Chow was frankly amazing and we were so lucky to have her at the meeting.

The meeting last night was a step in the right direction and thank you to all who attended and have been involved in the numerous telephone calls and emails that have been zipping around since the 8th August

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:39 am 
Pets Forum Co-Moderator

Good work!!!! It takes so much time to do all of this and you do Pak Kok a real service by devoting your time to it!