[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Rudeness from a white man directed at ferry staff
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:31 pm 

Considering the poor viability these last few days due to fog the ferry company has done well to manage to keep the service running with only some understandable delays. Monday night the visibility was down to zero but the service still kept running so we could get back to Lamma.

So……. I and my wife were shocked last night (Tuesday) to see a quite tall, slim, short fair hair man in his late 30's, wearing gold frame glasses and a grey suit, speaking with a possible English accent having a real go (complaining) at one of the girl staff at the central pier. Shouting at her “The 7:30 ferry should run at f******* 7:30”; as it was only 7:35 his rude attitude was unbelievable. Not content with just shouting at the girl he went back and started to have a go at the office staff.

A lot of us are guests in this country so can we all please try to remember it! If this guy is British then the transport here is far superior to what he has to travel on in England which is very expensive, inconvenient, can be very dirt, vandalized and unsafe late at night. If he spoke with the same attitude there he would have been throw off or out the station. Where does he get off??

Last edited by Lostmyway on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:05 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:21 pm 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

and how is it relevant that the person might have been a 'foreigner'?
I should think that all persons ought to treat the ferry staff with due respect.

how do you know the person was a foreigner? Did you mean that the person was non-Chinese? I personally don't like this categorisation but I realise that it's so prevalent it's almost impossible to resist. 'Foreign,' to me, contains the connotation of 'outsider' and in some sense - not belonging. If I'm right in my feeling then it's quite unfortunate for persons who are ethnically non-Chinese but who have lived here many years, perhaps raised their family here, made a life-long committment to HK and may even have been born here. To be forever branded as 'outsiders' doesn't seem quite right. If you really get right down to it, humans have been migrating around the globe since the dawn of time - who is NOT a foreigner? Certainly there were people here before the 4 big families (香港四大家族) immigrated in the 1800's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:07 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:58 pm 

it was indeed very unfortunate weather, however, i do not like to board the small ferries and when my friend asked one of the ferry ladies when the next large boat would be, she was told the next one. Just to make sure we then asked another employee who then told us that there would be no more large boats for that evening. Fair enough. But after reporting this info back and asking the lady why she fed us incorrect info. the girl just shrugged without giving a s***.. Quite a bad attitude although we didn't get rude about it. I am 'Western' so please don't post these sweeping generalisations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:03 am 

Some of my best friends are foreign

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:29 am 
Over 900 messages posted
Over 900 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:45 am 

Hahaha Fortune's being funny for once (ps I left a pair of gold-rimmed glasses on the 12.30 ferry last night - anybody find them?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:02 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

How awful...... the ferry can't answer back

Post subject: foreigners and the big4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:36 pm 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

Post subject: Picky!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:31 am 

It should have not been too difficult to see I was directing comments at one person with rude behavior. When I said foreigners I was trying to give a description so why the attack and twisting at something that was not aimed at everyone in general. I was not born in Hong Kong so I consider myself as a foreigner as well, it does not mean anything to me. He was WHITE, is it wrong of me to write that as well cause a lot of Asian people have white skin as well. Maybe I wrote foreigners as it was in the back of mind that I have seen on a number of different occasions non-Chinese behaving in an unacceptable way but have not noticed it from Chinese people.

Next time I want to post a comment I better consult the Race Discrimination office first incase a slip of an 's' leads me to getting sued.

The ferry staff have always been alright to me and if they appear not to give a S**** it could be due to that they don't all speak English or understand that well. Hong Kong people can get quite embarrassed when they don't understand and will give short abrupt answers due to this. Some of the staff have been very pleasant to me and helpful, a number will always say hello to me.

I will not bother to write anymore thread that were actually meant out of concern as I going to get on the ferry and rip the seats with a knife, write a lot of bullshit on the seats in tipex, charge through the gates and ignore the staff when the ferry is closing its gangway (happened last year) , step in dog poo and then put my shoes on the seats (locals do this as well) so the next person can share it and spread it around on their IKEA sofa. If I can’t get on the ferry I am going to go around and spray Welcome to Lamma everywhere.

Last edited by Lostmyway on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

Post subject: Re: Picky!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:17 pm 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:48 pm