[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Art Project
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Forum rules

* This free forum is open for private ads and small local businesses. * Do not bump or duplicate your posts.
* PROMOTE & link your post from this box for a donation. Contact Lamma-Gung.

Post subject: Art Project
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:15 pm 

Hi guys it's my first time posting on the forum so I am not exactly sure the way that this works.
I was born and grew up on Lamma and only moved away a few years ago to go to Uni.
I am currently in my last year and I am focusing on Lamma as my main project for this year. I am focusing on the environment/ green peace aspect of Lamma and was wondering if I could get some input for my research.
The way I would like to do this is to send anyone that is interested a postcard asking them one question about Lamma and hopefully they could respond to me answering the question, either by email or a postcard/letter back.
Of course I would have to get addresses of anyone who would be interested in helping me but of course your privacy is my main concern, so you could give me a fake name in which to send the post card.
I hope this gets me somewhere in my project, have a lovely day everyone! :)

Post subject: Re: Art Project
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:24 pm 
Parenting Forum Moderator-in-probation

I just registered last night (a day after you), but welcome to the forums anyway!

You are aware that you're asking people to give you their real contact information while you stay anonymous yourself? If my privacy really was your main concern, you wouldn't even use the internet but some personal ties you have on Lamma. There should be many, since you were born and raised here.

So for the sake of art (not data-mining), some anonymous, newly registered user claiming to be from Lamma wants to send me something (supposedly, a postcard) from an undisclosed location and I should mail or email it back - all for the purpose of answering a single question?

Sounds more like you should rather do a survey or just ask people here in the forum, using the board messenger. That way, nobody has to share their contact information with a stranger.

Maybe you can explain what exactly you are up to?

I'm not saying your motives aren't genuine, but if you want at least my support, you'll have to elaborate on your project and more importantly, on yourself. If it is a really interesting project, I'm sure many Lamma residents will support it.

Cheers,
naut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:49 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Seems a bit silly to user an Internet forum to make contacts for snail mail.

You can ask your question here and then let people respond in a forum post, by PM or by email (if you give your own email).
If your uni supervisor insisted on the postcard bit, well, I'd ask them to come into the 21st century, in a more polite way than that though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:56 am 

Maybe the postcards are meant to be physically used in a kind of collage or something - but that would interfere with the option to email it back. Plus it's all related to environmental issues? With green and peace, for a year. Curious.

Do they offer scholarships?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:31 am 

I have been using personal ties: my family and my friends but I thought it would be a good idea to branch out and ask other people who really care about Lamma to answer some questions to help with my project.
I was not asking people to post their addresses on this post but if they were interested, to instead message me their addresses. I understand that it could seem dodgy but no reasons of why I would want people's addresses to do something with come to my mind.
I have made the postcards myself, with photographs that I recently took of Lamma in the summer, which is why I thought it would be a nice idea to send them to people that are from Lamma, as well as a bit of self promotion (I have no shame). On the back of the postcards is my email address, my website and my full name, so people would know exactly how to contact me back.
A survey would be a nice idea and I was thinking about that at first but I thought the postcards would be a nice personal touch.
I really did not think I would get a negative reaction about this and actually feel quite annoyed with the way you have replied.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:25 am 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:11 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:26 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:49 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

HEY! It's MY privilege to abuse the membership database! :twisted:

Well, everybody registering as a new member in this forum gets onto my email newsletter list and will receive 1-2 times monthly updates on what's new and happening on Lamma. Opting out is an easy one-click operation, of course.

I haven't been very successful so far in monetising this email-only list, collected and constantly updated over 11 years, only occasionally adding a bit of commercial, sometimes paid-for text promoting an off-Lamma show or event. All local events get free promotion, of course. No spamming, no abuse and no advertising-only emails, unlike many other local email lists. The email addresses will never be given out to anybody else, not for any purpose, of course.

Any ideas on how to abuse, err, make better use of my email list of 5,500 active email addresses from all over HK, far beyond Lamma? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:52 pm 

I was not annoyed with the fact that you were suspicious of my intentions and of course everyone has their own personal opinion. I would not sell people's addresses for money, I wouldn't even know why to do so or even who to give it to. I am a 21 year old art student, not a criminal.
I will explain to you the full idea for the project at the moment (it has a lot of room to grow as it is only the beginning of the year!). When I first came home for the summer (I had not been back for a whole year), I was taken back by how much I missed the island and how much it had stayed the same but also changed in several aspects. At first, I wanted to use a tourism theme and go from there but speaking to my mum, she said that there was no real depth to that and maybe I should should focus on the environmental aspect of the Island. Sending postcards would only be a primary research point, not the basis of my entire project. I do understand that using postcards may not seem environmentally friendly but I was more thinking that since I made the postcards myself, people would be more inclined to keep the postcards instead of throwing them straight away (most of the people I am sending to, I know very well). I am not quite sure as to where the project will be heading after this, which is why I am doing research first before committing to an idea. I knew that I wanted to use Hong Kong/ Lamma Island as my last university project, as I created a photo set last year that fuelled my inspiration and made me realise that I am passionate about where I am from, you can check it out here if you are interested: http://www.cargocollective.com/katiedowsonphotography (it is on the conceptual page)
I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:06 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:52 pm