Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:06 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Email from Lamma Grill to their e-mail subscribers:

"30th August 2013
We are really sorry but the fish fryer thermostat isn't working and it's too dangerous to operate without it so we have had to turn it off.

We will get someone in ASAP to sort it out.

Sorry all fish fans!"

This must be the only Lamma restaurant informing their customers about news and specials, even temporary problems, via email. A few do Facebook updates, but that's usually missed in the flood of status updates on one's Wall.

Well done, Lamma Grill, thanks for all your welcome updates on weekend specials and this refreshingly honest update for all of us "fish fans"!
This must be the first time that somebody called me a fish face, err, fish fan in an online communication...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:11 pm 

Interestingly, the message that the fish fryer had been fixed arrived one hour 20 minutes BEFORE the off-message above.

Yes, online communication is both a (marketing) art and a (computer) science....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:30 pm 

A few photos from the other night's amazing sunset viewed from the old jetty besides Prime Bar & Grill, one of the very best sunset watching spots on the YSW seaside.

Attachments:
!DSC03271.jpg
!DSC03271.jpg [ 115.5 KiB | Viewed 5554 times ]
!DSC03265.jpg
!DSC03265.jpg [ 141.98 KiB | Viewed 5554 times ]
!DSC03260.jpg
!DSC03260.jpg [ 82.06 KiB | Viewed 5554 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:35 pm 

Set lunch menus new at Jing Jing, looking like quite a bargain in YSW these days. We also love new cheerful chef Marlon's cooking a lot, and their new extensive menu with hand-pasted photos has an entire page of desserts, a real rarity in all of YSW.

Attachments:
!DSC03355.jpg
!DSC03355.jpg [ 112.36 KiB | Viewed 5485 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:40 pm 

We've been following up on the many mixed reviews for the Mr Ma & Restaurant cha chan teng above and by word of mouth. It's been reopened just 4 months ago behind the "VV Parking Lot" and the "Property Agency Container". We had lunch there today and our first, very friendly chat with Emily, the new co-manager, introduced by Tigger.

Like me, Emily's studied computer science and business in Europe, so we hit it off right away. An indigenous daughter of one of Lamma's leading families, she grew up here and knows so much about village life & politics... but I'm not telling, staying out of potential trouble...

They've listened to the "improvement suggestions" from their customers and our lunch was actually pretty nice, especially at their very competitive prices, some of the lowest in all of YSW. We ordered simple food from their quite comprehensive, bilingual menu, like Singapore Fried Noodles and egg-corned beef sandwich. It was very tasty, non-greasy and fully satisfying. A new, very experienced chef will start work soon and I hope to do a more comprehensive review with photos soon.

Plus a new blackboard outside Pizza Milano and a whiteboard outside Jing Jing. We've got to try this daily changing dinner set or the below-$100 lunch set above later this week!

Attachments:
!DSC03655-duo.jpg
!DSC03655-duo.jpg [ 208.87 KiB | Viewed 5325 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:06 pm 

We're becoming major fans of Jing-Jing's new, frequently changing lunch and dinner set menus. This was simply a wonderful, tasty and pretty lunch at a very competitive price the other day.

New chef Marlon is an attentive, smiling and jovial host, listening to customer's feedback, willing to make changes and even add some of our favourite dishes to the constantly evolving and improving menu.

Attachments:
File comment: Set lunch/dinner in Jing Jing Rest.
!DSC03701.jpg
!DSC03701.jpg [ 213.38 KiB | Viewed 5263 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:34 pm 

Oktoberfest on Lamma?! It takes more than German beer for that.
I've got to test the food as well, even though, being Swiss, I'm not an expert on German food. But their offer of a free pint for VIP card holders - easy to get for Lammaites after just one meal there - sounds enticing and refreshing; especially after a thirsty bike ride from one end of the Cable Road in Pak Kok to the other end at the Power Station, then back to Hung Shing Yeh beach.

Submitted by Concerto Inn:

Attachments:
VIP-event_poster_Oct.jpg
VIP-event_poster_Oct.jpg [ 135.12 KiB | Viewed 5186 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:11 pm 

Is this the only place on Lamma offering traditional Thanksgiving dinners?

Got to try this as I haven't enjoyed this for several years. Stuffed turkey dinners are a very rare and exotic treat for us who've grown up without any Thanksgiving holidays and the associated customs and foods. It's at least as exotic for me as the Mid-Autumn Festival was for me when arriving in HK a quarter of a century ago. Almost as exotic and strange as Halloween.

Well, the more festivals of as many cultures as possible to join in and celebrate, the better!

Attachments:
!DSC04222.jpg
!DSC04222.jpg [ 109.29 KiB | Viewed 5233 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:03 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

I didn't even know Canadians celebrated "Thanksgiving", but apparently they do, but on a different date then the Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_%28Canada%29
"Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Day (Canadian French: Jour de l'Action de grâce), occurring on the second Monday in October, is an annual Canadian holiday which celebrates the harvest and other blessings of the past year."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:21 pm 

Thanks for the explanations, Alan. I was wondering about why this Thanksgiving seems to clash with Chung Yeung today and also the Oktoberfest (starting this week in Concerto Inn) as it's usually in Nov sometime, just before Halloween. Lamma is still such a multi-cultural place, always an excuse for a party...

We've made reservations for tonight. You can catch me and Lamma-Por in Prime from 6:15pm tonight, letting me know in person why this website stinks (or not) and how to improve it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:33 pm 

That was definitely the best Thanksgiving dinner we've had in years!

Considering that we haven't had any in years, that's not too much praise; but it was actually really delicious and so much better than turkey dinners I've had before. Soft, moist, succulent turkey with a yummy white gravy; crispy bread stuffing with its own sauce; smooth, creamy potato mash, well-done veggies; plus, my personal highlight, the tart cranberries in a little crispy puff pastry shell.

The single portion was more than generous enough to satisfy both of us. A pretty decent deal at $170, no service charge.

The glass of house white wine was fine, perfectly suitable for the turkey, but a little bit on the skimpy side, a third full in a big glass. Pour a bit more, at least half... or use smaller glasses! Prime's neighbour, Andy's Seafood, another major favourite place of ours, uses much smaller glasses but fills them almost to the brim. ;-)

We had to rush back to catch the Pak Kok ferry, so we got their must-have pumpkin pie to go.

Four thumbs up to Prime tonight from Lamma-Por & -Gung!

Talking to chef Richie - Welcome back after your long summer break! - Prime will be serving an American Thanksgiving dinner next month. Canadian Thanksgiving menu is still on tomorrow, Monday. We'll surely be returning next month, comparing their Canadian and American Thanksgiving offerings. What are the differences, if any, we wonder?

OK, another review done, my freshly ground coffee (beans from Lamma Gourmet) has finished brewing in the French press, to be enjoyed with our takeaway pumpkin pie!

Attachments:
!DSC04269.jpg
!DSC04269.jpg [ 134.13 KiB | Viewed 4808 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:50 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Hmm, I would have expected the Canadian version to have backbacon.

And beer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:05 pm 

Finally got around to trying the Thai place that used to be a noodle joint, managed by an old face from the Sampan - didn't note its name but opposite Shelley's cake shop. Pretty good paf Thai, pineapple fried rice, chicken green curry & morning glory. All mild choices for a table with 2 kids that went down well with all. Will return.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:49 pm 

Photos...

Attachments:
!DSC03517.jpg
!DSC03517.jpg [ 124.62 KiB | Viewed 4757 times ]
!DSC03510.jpg
!DSC03510.jpg [ 306.41 KiB | Viewed 4757 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:36 pm 

That's the place! And it more bases than Thai with that menu.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:51 am 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

Wondering why Canadian and American Thanksgiving are on different dates?

This from a posting in a Yahoo forum, which is generally accepted to be correct (as of January 1957, when the October date was formally proclaimed as a national holiday) ...

"History and Origin of Canadian Thanksgiving: In Canada Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October. Unlike the American tradition of remembering Pilgrims and settling in the New World, Canadians give thanks for a successful harvest. The harvest season falls earlier in Canada compared with the United States due to the simple fact that Canada is farther north."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:49 am 

Submitted by Prime Rest. Available from tomorrow, Halloween, till Sunday evening.

Any other Halloween menus from Lamma's restaurants?
Email, PM, WhatsApp or Facebook-message them to me, or post them yourself!

Attachments:
haloween-menu-13-wp.jpg
haloween-menu-13-wp.jpg [ 63.08 KiB | Viewed 3415 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:33 pm 

My discovery of today, early morning in Tai Yuen, outside the Lamma Holiday shop close Lamma Grill. As I usually pass there only on Sundays or afternoons - "Coffee Guy" is closed on Sundays and every day after noon - I've never talked with him before, even though he's been open for a year already with his street-side stall.

Coffee "No photo!" Guy is a real coffee connoisseur and expert! We had a long chat about the best beans and brewing methods. He uses only the very best Brazilian and Guatemalan beans. He even serves his delicious ice coffees with frozen coffee cubes, so not to dilute the drink and intense taste when the cubes are melting.

Attachments:
!DSC05197.jpg
!DSC05197.jpg [ 166.18 KiB | Viewed 3444 times ]
13.jpg
13.jpg [ 230.96 KiB | Viewed 3444 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:09 am 

Concerto Inn submitted this invitation below.

This looks like a nice occasion for a free wine tasting, if you don't make it to the current Wine & Dine Festival on HK Island. There hasn't been a wine tasting in quite a while on Lamma, as far as I know or remember. Also, this is a good opportunity to get or renew your own 10%-off Lamma VIP Card:

"The Wine Tasting event will be start at 3pm –5pm, there will be 6 types of wine (2 Red 2 White 2 Sparkling) for guests to taste. EVERYONE is welcomed and no entry fee is needed.

We also provide 30 sets of Wine and Cheese Set on the day, and Special promotion on the tasting wine!

All LAMMA VIP members can enjoy Half Set of the Wine and Cheese Set for FREE and 1 FREE glass of pairing wine for the Main Course of our Candle Light Dinner!

As mentioned before, our Existing Lamma VIP is welcomed to renew their membership on the day and enjoy the special offer with their friends!

Lamma VIP Renewal Offer

We welcome you to renew your old VIP card at Concerto Inn &
at the same time invite one Lamma Resident to enjoy our 2013 VIP Privilege membership Free of Charge at Concerto Inn.

Please kindly see our poster as attachment and hope to see you there!
http://www.concertoinn.com.hk/packages"

Attachments:
Table-Stand_Nov-b.jpg
Table-Stand_Nov-b.jpg [ 87.68 KiB | Viewed 3544 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:33 am 

New Turkish Pizza House, opened last Sunday, Nov 3:

Best Kebab & Pizza seems to have cloned itself from Back Street to Main Street, same owners and chef, similar name and menu, focusing on "Turkish pizzas" for around $100.
How many places offering takeaway pizza places do we have now in YSW? Definitely more than 5.

This 2nd Turkish rest. is mainly a takeaway, with a fast-food-style bench for diners-in-a-hurry, unlike their leisurely sit-down rest. on Back Street. But it's quite conveniently located on Main Street, just before Diesel's, in the former aircon/white goods shop. This was also the location of several former bars and restaurants, most notably Corner Bar, Toochka's and a Spanish tapas place.

We're wishing them all the very best!

Has anybody tried the food already and would like to tell us about it? Same as Best Kebab, I assume? That place had some of the very best fish and chips in the village, IMHO, and we always love their shish kebabs and their great value for money.
I hope it'll remain open as well, even though it's competing now with a better located sister rest.

Attachments:
!DSC05242.jpg
!DSC05242.jpg [ 131.34 KiB | Viewed 3518 times ]
!DSC05244.jpg
!DSC05244.jpg [ 72.33 KiB | Viewed 3518 times ]
!DSC05245.jpg
!DSC05245.jpg [ 131.27 KiB | Viewed 3518 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next