[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Yung Shu Wan - Lamcombe Seafood Restaurant
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

You are the judge.
Excellent! 45%  45%  [ 14 ]
Gooood 29%  29%  [ 9 ]
OK laaa 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Sucks! 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 31
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Lamcombe Seafood Restaurant

47 Yung Shue Wan Main St (Tel: 2982 0881)

Last edited by webdog on Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

If you cannot afford the time and energy to walk to Sok Kwu Wan, then this is the place you should patronise for seafood. I would highly recommend Lamcombe because they never let me down. The food portion is reasonably large and priced. Though you won't see anything innovative here, their quality is as consistent as McDonald's. And they treat you nicely with a professional efficiency. That means, your friends from outside wouldn't blame you for a sour recommendation. I even once get a special discount for letting them know that I am one of their 'gaifong'.

Highly recommended dish: Deep Fried Chicken

Webdog rating: Goood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:49 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:18 am 

Why does Sok Kwu Wan have such a great reputation for seafood ? :?
I would very rarely choose to go there, except if I felt like the exercise

I think that they have nothing on offer that YSW dosn't.

The Lamcombe is by far the best choice, efficient friendly service, good food and all at prices (and portion sizes) that don't seem to have changed in the 10years I have been here. Also one of the few Chinese restaurants that never seems to resort to MSG for flavour.

More importantly the Lamcombe is situated in a great village atmosphere, where tourists/junk trips can do more than just eat.

I spoke to some HK junkers the other day who had only ever before been to Sok Kwu Wan (they'd lived in HK for 14years). The only reason they finally chose YSW was because apparently SKW has started to get smelly.
They raved about YSW pubs, restaurants, shops, people, dogs, yup we've got it all.............

I hope that this forum will continue to promote YSW in all its glory !!

Best dish: Aubergine and tofu hotpot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:36 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

I couldn't agree with your more, caffles!

Hooray for Lamcombe and YSW in general!

P.S. One of these days I might make it over the hill (NOT on a weekend!) and check out Sok Kwu Wan's restaurants. Haven't been there in many years...

Anyone from Sok Kwu Wan would like to comment, please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:55 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

The Lamcombe is the best restaurant in Yung Shue Wan by far. No point at all in going to Sok Kwu Wan for seafood, when the Lamcombe can top anything over on the dark side.

And their pigeon is so much better than the 'famous' pigeon restaurant.

Try the minced quail, top class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:58 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:57 pm 

The place was rockin' at Mid-Autumn Festival night. Amazingly, almost half the customers outside were Caucasian and included many long-time Lammaites.
Plus Fun Tse (Lammadonna) and an entire table full of her closest relatives.

Lamcombe is really confirming its status as Best Chinese Restaurant in YSW, IMHO, always reliable quality, friendly, personable, quick service, great atmosphere.

My all-time favourite, ordered everytime and always just perfectly prepared:
Steamed scallops on the half-shell with vermicelli, garlic & spring onions: 6-8 for $68 only.
To be eaten with your fingers only and in one big yummy, succulent mouthful. My mouth is starting to water even thinking about it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:50 pm 

Yes, it was packed during the mooncake festival weekend! Though managed to have dinner there 2 nights in a row with total satisfaction!

Tried the "PaiPar Tofu" with blackpepper gravy served aside yet? The chef only makes it during the week, too busy at the weekend ma!

Cheerio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:30 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:36 pm 

Not impressed at all.

Garlic with a hint of prawns (I think around 7 prawns)
Sweet and sour pork fat (the amount of fat was quite ridiculous. Rip off and presumably thought I couldn't tell because it was battered.)
Deep fried soggy squid (terrible and to make matters worse, they threw in also a lot of burnt bits that were left in the deep fat fryer basket)

although the mixed veg was quite nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:11 pm 

Plums, if you like the food in Holiday Mood (or Feel) then Lamcombe is definitely not a place you would enjoy!
We have been going to Lamcombe religiously every weekend for years and always enjoy the food and the service. The eggplant hotpot(without meat) is the best!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:19 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:59 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:04 pm 

It's official, just confirmed by the Lamcombe management & staff:
They're closing down on Jan 3!

The off-island landlords want to take over and run the restaurant themselves. It's been in negotiations for a massive rent increase for months and in the end the management had no choive but to agree. Then the landlords changed their minds and didn't renew the lease anyway!

So everybody will lose their jobs. It's also seriously doubtful that the new management can maintain the well-earned status of Lamcombe as the best local Chinese restaurant, according to many Chinese and non-Chinese like myself, being run by the same management for 13 years now. The landlords own the name Lamcombe as well, so no name change is panned.

Lamma-Por & I are regulars, at least twice a week, always chatting with the staff and management who've become friends, so we're very sad to see them forced out. But it's too late now and a signature campaign organised by some people right now is unlikely to change the landlords' minds. Sad news....<HR>
Jade Chief Bar, opposite Banyan Bay Cafe, is also closing down, already at the end of this month. The fishermen drinking in there all evening and occasionally getting into fights will miss that place, too.

Pigeon Rest., Han Lok Yuen, is under total renovation, to reopen under the former management in a few weeks.

The former Spicy Island will become a new Turkish place, unrelated to Best Kebab, to reopen in Dec.

The former New Holiday Mood Grill & Rest. will become a second Green Cottage, name tba, run by the Green Cottagers, to reopen in Dec as well.

Any other changes in the local dining/drinking scene I might have missed?

For my photographical memories of Lamcombe, click below. Please add your own photos and memories.

{L_IMAGE}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:13 am 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

That's terrible news!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:48 am 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:28 pm 

Attachments:
Closedown-notice.jpg
Closedown-notice.jpg [ 78.03 KiB | Viewed 2184 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:43 pm 

Attachments:
File comment: The big Lamcombe Family, including staff & management
!DSC_8419-wp.jpg
!DSC_8419-wp.jpg [ 129.24 KiB | Viewed 2167 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:33 am 

Reopened on April 1st.

Let's start a new topic from scratch as this is a completely new and totally different place now, after almost three months of renovations and all new management and staff.

There's no more English sign outside, so not 100% sure yet if they kept the English name or if they even have one at all.