Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:45 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

SCMP today, Aug 12, 2014:

Snake catcher video sparks fury after Burmese python 'almost decapitated' during capture

Here's the video that caused such an uproar and over 100 posts in the Facebook group, Lamma Snake Sightings:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202290855049325&set=o.122818261090269&type=2&theater

"A video of a snake catcher and two police officers roughly capturing a Burmese python on Lamma Island has angered animal lovers who say the creature was almost decapitated during the incident. In the video the snake catcher can be seen holding a large metal bin over the reptile and then leaning on it with all his weight. But the snake's head and tail are both trapped under the edge of the bin, and the reptile can be seen thrashing around wildly. By the time the animal is forced into a sack it is still.

The film has sparked a chorus of disapproval and experts have called for the snake catcher in question to be struck off the list of professionals that police use.

Camas Tung, Lamma Island’s new police chief, said officers had received a report of a snake having killed a cat, and a registered snake catcher was summoned. She said police had received no complaints over the handling of the animal. "We have to trust his professionalism. It was a very big [snake], so a bit difficult to handle," she said, adding that the snake was sent to the AFCD, from where it was transported to Kadoorie Farm & Botanic Garden in the New Territories. "The python seems to have come through the ordeal unscathed,” Wong added, saying that the snake would be microchipped and sexed before being released back into the wild."

Read more...

Attachments:
File comment: Still from video WhatsApped to me by Ziaudeen Mahmood
Ziaudeen-video.jpg
Ziaudeen-video.jpg [ 48.22 KiB | Viewed 2036 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:34 pm 

Our newly famous forum regular Ziaudeen (who submitted his wife's snake catching video to this website and the SCMP) pointed me to this follow-up story on the Coconuts Hong Kong website today:

"Hong Kong’s snake-loving netizens can claim a small victory this week after confirmation that a snake catcher, caught on video being rather heavy handed with a slippery Lamma Island resident, has been reported to the police. Outraged was sparked online after a video of a Burmese Python being trapped under a metal bin was posted to the Facebook Group Lamma Snake Sightings.

In the short clip, the catcher in question is seen putting his full weight on top of the upturned metal rubbish bin while the snake’s head and tail remain outside the rim. Assisting police officers hold the snake's head with a metal claw, before the handler finally wrestles the reptile into a sack while keeping his foot on the creature's neck. When the sack is secured at the end of the video, there is little movement coming from inside...."

Read more...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:44 pm 

Here's the 2nd Police Corner from Ms. Camas Hung, our new Lamma Police Chief. She's responding to all the publicity about the snake catcher video featured in the SCMP (see above) and probably quite a few enquiries and complaints she's received the last few days. (1st Lamma Police Corner)

The 2nd Lamma Police Corner, exclusively on this website:

Welcome back to Police Corner,

Thanks for your comments to my first article. I do read your posts, however, I cannot respond to all individual posts on the blog due to practicality – I'm sure you would agree that it would not be appropriate or possible for me to do so. But no worries, I will still give general replies in this Police Corner and adopt your helpful initiatives or suggestions. Also, I will try to respond directly and as soon as I can if questions come up which relate to public safety.

Heard some of you are concerned about the python captured in early August. In fact, someone has made an official complaint about how that particular incident was handled and an investigation will be conducted. I cant comment in detail on that case because of that.

Let me tell you more on how we generally deal with such reports. When we receive a report of snakes seen and the snake in question may endanger the public (e.g. a snake inside premises or in a place frequented by the public), we will first check out the reported location of the snake and then call individual snake catchers (mostly a snake dealer by trade) to ask whether they are willing to come to Lamma for the tasking. In the first instance, my officers will attend scene as soon as they can to place an appropriate cordon, ensure people are evacuated if appropriate and wait for the snake catcher's arrival.

Since we also need to ensure the snake catcher's safety, we will render assistance requested by the catcher after his arrival.

All snakes captured have to be placed in a securely tied canvas sack and further locked in a snake box. They would be delivered to the Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) or to AFCD for the protected species. Many snakes may end up in KFBG.

An Important Message - if you find a snake in your house or somewhere that may pose a danger to you or others, please stay calm, get to a safe location and call police via 999 at once. Try your best to keep the snake under observation – although only if safe and practical to do so.

Remember "Public Safety" is absolutely our first priority, including you, our officers and anyone helping to deal with a case.
As a general reminder, in order maintain appropriate confidentiality; remember not to post reports relating to cases, crimes, complaints or criminal intelligence in the blog here. You can always report by phone, email, fax or in person direct to Hong Kong Police Force.

All contact numbers are linked below:
http://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/contact_us.html

Lamma Police Post Tel : 2982 1577 - Lamma Police Post Fax : 2982 1824
Lamma Police Post email : ysw_post_ccdiv@police.gov.hk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:33 pm 

Looking at this now (in)famous video again, I noticed this frame, the police constable casually taking a picture on his smartphone while holding down the python. At least he was wearing long trousers and boots, unlike the snake catcher in short trousers and flip flops!

Attachments:
Ziaudeen-video-2.jpg
Ziaudeen-video-2.jpg [ 56.74 KiB | Viewed 1909 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:04 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Since there are claims that the snake is alive and well, maybe the SCMP could follow up and confirm that with Kadoorie.

I think a big snake like that is pretty tough and I notice the edge of the bin is rounded, not sharp, so immobilising it could just bruise but not break its spine.

I once caught a bamboo pit viper in my bathroom under a bucket. It was fine, till I cut off its head with a shovel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:16 am 

Chinese version of the Snake Catcher Police Corner above:

歡迎再次來到警察資訊閣!

謝謝你們對我首篇文章的意見。我有閱讀你們的留言,不過基於實際情況,我不能逐一回覆網誌上的所有留言–我相信你們也同意我這樣做是不適宜或不可能的。不過,你們不用擔心,我仍會在警察資訊閣內作出概括的回應及聽取你們有用的意見或建議。另外,如果你們提出的問題與公眾安全有關,我會嘗試盡快直接回應。

我知道你們關注在八月初捕獲的蟒蛇。事實上,有人已對這個別事件的處理方法作出正式投訴,而調查亦將會展開,因此我不能詳細評論這宗案件。

讓我告訴你們警方整體上是如何處理這些報告。當接獲有蛇出現的報告,而涉事的蛇可能會危害公眾 (例如:蛇在樓宇內或市民大眾常到的地方出現),我們首先會查看報稱出現蛇的地點,然後聯絡個別的捉蛇人員 (通常是蛇販),問他們是否願意到南丫島捉蛇。之後,我們的警務人員會盡快到現場設置適當的封鎖線,確保市民已經疏散 (假若情況合適) 及等候捉蛇人員到場。

由於我們須確保捉蛇人員的安全,當他到場後,我們會按他的要求提供協助。
所有被捕獲的蛇均須放入已綁好的帆布袋,之後放入蛇箱並鎖上。它們會被送往嘉道理農場暨植物園,而受保護的品種則會送到漁農自然護理署。很多蛇最後或會在嘉道理農場暨植物園居住。

重要訊息:若你在家中或某處發現蛇的踪影,而它可能對你或其他人構成危險,請保持鎮定,前往安全的地方及立即致電999報警。在安全及可行的情況下,盡量觀察它的情況。

緊記“公眾安全”,包括你們、警務人員及任何協助處理案件人士的安全對我們至關重要。

在此提醒你們,緊記在這網誌留言時不要發表有關案件、罪案、投訴或刑事情報的報告,以保持資料機密。你們可以透過電話、電郵、傳真或親自向香港警務處報告。

所有聯絡電話載於以下連結:

http://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/contact_us.html

南丫警崗電話號碼:2982 1577 南丫警崗傳真號碼:2982 1824
南丫警崗電郵地址:ysw_post_ccdiv@police.gov.hk