Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Snakes and centipedes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:45 pm 

We moved to Lamma about two months ago and up until a week ago we were really loving it, but we've since been totally freaked out. In the last week alone we've had two gigantic centipedes on our patio, and then today a snake showed up underneath our outdoor laundry machine. I can't imagine how we'll feel when one finally gets inside our house...

I love having space and the view from out patio is beautiful, but I don't really feel comfortable here anymore. Mostly, I'm really worried that my little kids will get hurt playing on the patio. Can anyone offer me any encouragement or suggestions? We love the overall vibe of Lamma and the hikes are superb, but maybe we're just not cut out for it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:02 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Maybe you should get a cat or a terrier.
I'm quite serious, they will sniff out and let you know if there are any intruders, if not catch it themselves.

At the local shops you can get a yellow powder to sprinkle around the door and window sills. Supposedly it will repel snakes and bugs

Personally, we've been here over 20 years. Have been bitten by centipedes several times each. Sharp pain and an itchy lump.
Had snakes in the house a couple of times, but that was an old farmhouse, easy for them to get in. Never bitten by a snake.
Snake bites are very rare, I don't recall a lethal one here ever.

On balance, fresher air, beaches, countryside, almost no motor vehicles, this is a healthier environment for kids than a sterile concrete shoebox in the city.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:13 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

I could add that most of the snakes you encounter are non-venomous rat snakes and copperhead racers, but nearly stepping on one does make the heart race, I admit. It's really quite unusual to see snakes in most locations, but since some are venomous, it is best to look out for them and have kids at least aware of the danger.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:45 am 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Please have my sympathies. I really dislike the snakes. We have lived here for over 20 years, have a garden.

I simply keep the doors (and windows closed - they can climb) Been meaning to put in mosquito covers for years so must get around to it so we can have the windows and door open.

It's a pain with youngsters and animals, but that's how we cope.

Also, as Alan says, they tend to move off fast if they sense a lot of movement (dog for instance).

Just one of the nastier facets of living on the Lamma paradise. :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:52 am 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Sorry, I really should have added that when the kids were younger, we always had dogs and between the noisy bunch we never had an issue with anything in the garden. I let the children play with no problem, believing that anything nasty would have disappeared in the ruckus. Which it obviously did!

Now the children are older (ditto the pets who are no longer fit to roam outside), we are more vigilant.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:07 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Most snakes here including the highly venomous cobra, are anxious to get out of your way if there is any potential contact. Coming home to my place through a bush track I generally stamp on the ground as I walk just in case. The one that I fear most is the green bamboo snake (pit viper). These show no inclination to move when they detect your presence and rely on camouflage instead. We have had a number of encounters with these in the community garden in Tai Peng which were rather too close for comfort.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:54 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

I put these questions by Spencerand into the Facebook group "Lamma Snake Sightings" yesterday.
It hit a raw nerve with so many Lammaites and loads of comments were posted overnight:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/122818261090269/876494725722615/?notif_t=group_comment

It includes this comment from a Cheung Chau resident:

Attachments:
Lamma-Snake-Sightings-FB.jpg
Lamma-Snake-Sightings-FB.jpg [ 24.79 KiB | Viewed 1693 times ]
Little-Friends.jpg
Little-Friends.jpg [ 96.14 KiB | Viewed 1695 times ]