[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Getting rid of Ratty
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Getting rid of Ratty
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:22 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Any tips? An intelligent and cunning rat in my flat has so far foiled all attempts at entrapment and eviction.

Post subject: Re: Getting rid of Ratty
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:30 am 
Discussions Forum Moderator

The old fashioned traps that just slam down and break their necks work quite well.
I've never bothered with the cage ones.
You have to have tempting bait and remove as much as possible any other easy source of food.

I see in the hardware shops here tins of "rat glue" that is supposed to stick their feet. Don't know how effective it is. Worth a try.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:03 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

I've put Zep's question to my Facebook Friends who are a very creative and imaginative lot.
On a lazy, sunny afternoon in the office just before the Lunar New Year holidays and they came up with some of these suggestions within just a few hours:

"This requires the whole household and a systematic elimination of hiding places.

How about using a Rat Snake to catch Ratty?

A rat snake it just another problem......Start with the kitchen, behind the sink, and work out from there. Once you have it on the run enact a quick despatch with the sharp end of a wooden dragonboat paddle.
Sounds cruel not to let it go, but it WILL come back if you don't. I have a few notches on my paddles...... but no rats.

Just get one of the Lamma cats to run around crazy and beat it up.

Make friends, call him Ben, Talk to him, or her, if it was a squirrel you would and that is just a Tree rat with a cute fluffy tail.

Play Justin Bieber music.

UB40 springs to mind, awful song.

Just borrow a cat for the night, end of problem.

Trap and relocate.

Buy a clockwork rat, dress it as a sexy lady rat (I assume your rat is male) and fill it with explosives, wind it up and watch the magic happen.

Garfield to the rescue ...
Err ... You have to spend a fortune feeding him first ..."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:28 pm 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

Double the rent for him

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:05 pm 

If it's really a rat and not a mouse, your average soft household cat might not be up to it.
Traditionally, a small terrier like the Jack Russell is the preferred predator.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:47 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Some nice helpful (and amusing) suggestions here - I've had a baited trap (the cage type sold on the main street) out for several days with no success. I might try the old fashioned type if I can find one - do they sell them in the village? The glue sounds interesting too, though I would not bet against me absent-mindedly stumbling into it. Or has anyone got a cat they could lend me for a couple of days? Preferably very hungry and with attitude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:00 pm 

Zep, as you haven't provided a picture yet, is this how Ratty might look like?

Isn't he cute? Let's find somebody to adopt him!

Attachments:
Zep-Cunning-Rat-2.jpg
Zep-Cunning-Rat-2.jpg [ 59.5 KiB | Viewed 3032 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:05 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the one. A candidate for Trap, Neuter, Exterminate.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:55 am 

More Facebook feedback, This topic has really inspired some "interesting" feedback:

"TNR for rats? Only Trap and Relocate, no Neutering?

Be careful! It might be one of those lovely bamboo rats.

When rats get really hungry, they go for bars of soap~!"

plus - FINALLY! - some sensible advice from my Facebook Friends:

"They have rat traps in the ville...you can catch it and release it far far away from your flat (and mine~!) Then seal off the threshold(s) and make sure ALL your edibles are either in the fridge or in SEALED CONTAINERS (works for ants too). GOOD LUCK...

Once had what turned out to be a house shrew in flat.
Looked online, and saw some advice re putting cheese in a bucket, with a sort of ladder up to outside
Tried this, and within half an hour or so caught it, to my big surprise.
Tipped it outside, and off it went, never to return [into flat]"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:50 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Catch and release a rat?
They are pests, they a vectors for several diseases. They transmit disease to Humans and to pets.

Look up Hanta-virus. something like 7-9% of rats carry this virus and the vector is the dried poo and urine. It becomes aerosolised when you sweep or vacuum the dry stuff up and it sets up camp in your lungs. More than 50% of those hospitalized go on mechanical ventilation. Mortality rate is 20-35%. Something like 60% if you wind up ventilated.

http://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/review_ ... g_kong.pdf
http://vaccinenewsdaily.com/news/307420 ... -kills-13/

When cleaning rat poop wear an N95 mask (usually blue, always with a valve in the middle) spray with a dilute bleach solution and sweep (not vacuum) gently.

When you relocate the rat you have just transferred the risk to someone else. Is that OK?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:16 pm 

well first you'll need a fly. tie to a piece of cotton. this will attract a spider, which will wiggle and jiggle until a bird comes to get the spider, then a cat will come to get the bird, and hopfully the rat, i know it's getting absurd, now you'll need a dog to get the cat, shouldn't be to hard to find here on lamma, next you'll need a goat to get the dog, this might be a little tricky here but i am sure if you find a goat this next one will be easy, as you now need a cow, no idea how you'll get one of these but once you have a cow to get the goat you then need a horse, which i really don't know how the horse will get the cow but thats what you need. so now the fly (and the rat) is gone as the horse swollowed the cow, still not sure how, and the cow swollowed the goat, hoping it didnt get stuck in its throat, the goat swollowed the dog, yes it was a dog and not a hog, the dog swollowed the cat, really cant imagine that, the cat swollowed the bird, as well as the rat, the bird swollowed the spider, which swollowed the fly. problem solved rat is now gone. This is all on the understanding that you are a little old lady of course and you don't mind having a horse walking around in side your apartment. Other option is simple just get a rat trap.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

We've had a rat - or rats - a few times. My preference is to catch them in the old fashioned cages and release them a good distance away - near an annoying neighbour's house is best. Use a chunk of cheese smeared with peanut butter as bait on the hook (this advice comes from a professional ratter I used to know) and oil the mechanism so that the slightest touch will trigger the trap.

DON'T use the glue traps. I did once - and never again. If it works you face the horror of a live, terrified rat with nasty glue all over it. What to do?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:29 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:32 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Update - I spent some time ensuring that the flat was totally sealed, hopefully with the rat outside. However, I still find tell-tale teeth marks in the soap and small footprints. I've had a cage trap baited with cheese and peanut butter up for a few days with no success, and also put a glue trap down yesterday - again no success. I've looked for one of the old fashioned mouse traps without success - anyone know where I can buy them?

The other day I found a large rat snake outside the front door - maybe it had heard word on the street that Ratty is in residence. I invited it in for a meal but it declined and slithered off.

Attachments:
rs.jpg
rs.jpg [ 140.81 KiB | Viewed 2895 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:12 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Also try a chunk of spam (or similar) with peanut butter.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:06 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

The glue trap now has a fine pattern of footprints, but no body. It doesn't work!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:47 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

It obvious that you live in one of Lamma's many haunted houses and in addition to grandma's ghost there is the ghost of a rat also. Only consulting with a Feng Shui Master can help you now.

I can provide my services for only $20,000 HKD per hour and it will not take less than 6 hours.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:46 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Sounds like a bargain. Just don't claim to have been my lover when my enormous empire is being carved up some years in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:04 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Anyway, the Ghost Rat has already SMS'd me a copy of your will he found.

It seems I have already been included.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:26 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Haha - good luck with that one!