Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Race Report: 4 Peaks Race ~ Why Visit Lamma? ~ Missing woman falls & dies
  WHAT'S ON?    LNY lunch for Elderlies ~ Lamma Waste no mall ~ Lamma Dragons Newbie Day
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Nick the YouTube Star ~ LNY @ Tin Hau Temple ~ Rooster Dragon or Mutant Turkey 

It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:24 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:01 pm 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

Foxy wrote:
As Alan pointed out, they are quite rare here. I've lived on Lamma for over 20 years and have seen just one (albeit a very scary one).

I suspect some of you won't believe me, but I have seen 2 Chinese cobras on the pathway up to Tai Ping within the past 2 weeks. I'm absolutely certain they were cobras as well, as I saw them from close up. They were predominantly black in colour with the typical white eyeglass shaped design on the back of their necks. Additionally they flared their hoods as they made their retreats into the woods. I saw another one about 6 months ago close to my house. I didn't realise it was a cobra until it flared its hood at me as I tried to pick it up with a stick. So, I guess I'm just lucky - but I've seen at least 3 Chinese Cobras in the 2 1/2 years I've lived here. I don't feel any need to go around killing them though. I have taken time to explain to my 2 young kids that they are animals that must be respected and given a wide berth. When we walk in the woods we make sure we can see where we're putting our feet :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:06 pm 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

Actually, Nancy - I found the Wikipedia article for the Chinese Cobra is just a stub. There's a job for you! (I know you're not at all busy these days :o )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naja_atra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:23 pm 
Over 1,000 messages posted

I removed a Chinese Cobra from my house last night.
My dogs alerted me to the chap & it was obviously quite petrified by the situation.
I let it go just outside the front door.

Is my fault it got into the house in the first place as I didn't take necessary precautions.
I have had several cobras in the 2 houses I have lived in over the years and have removed them safely.
The bad ones are Rat Snakes, when cornered they are very aggressive & will attack. I leave them to Fish & Ag. They can grow up to about 10' long.
Cobras are very docile even though they hiss & rear up. Their priority is to escape.
Contrary to previous comment there are numerous Chinese cobras on Lamma & some King Cobras. Similarly I have mistaken Rat Snakes for Cobras..

My understanding is that the venom of snakes in Hong Kong is not as potent as those in drier/less humid regions & your "live" time is therefore extended.

FYI, I have a Water Snake in the pond, a Rat Snake at the back of the house, a couple of baby cobras & an adult (2 months ago) also in the garden, and a Python that hangs around outside the garden.

Other mammals - 2 Leopard Cats but about 7 years apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:02 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Anonymous Guy wrote:
Contrary to previous comment there are numerous Chinese cobras on Lamma & some King Cobras. Similarly I have mistaken Rat Snakes for Cobras.

I stand corrected.

Surely you have some photos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:59 pm 

Not from last night. It was after midnight, and as I have previously posted Chinese Cobra shots, could see little point in getting the camera out for what would only have been a "record shot".
Have images of the Water Snake, but once again not very good, posted Rat Snake images before, but no King Cobras. Never had a camera with me when I've encountered one of these. SAorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:07 pm 

Anonymous Guy wrote:
Not from last night.

Not necessarily new ones.
Links to previously posted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:27 pm 

Images were taken from about 18" away using a 105mm Macro Lens.
Whilst the snake was concerned, it was definitely not aggressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:43 am 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

Nice pictures! You are certainly braver than I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:53 am 

Perhaps the power plant we muggles see is actually Hogwarts !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:25 am 

tjungarayi wrote:
I have only killed venomous snakes! They are territorial and will come back if taken a short way away.

Suggesting that being territorial they will attack, or that they will occupy a territory?

IMHO it seems somewhat sub-rational for somebody to live in a sub-tropical rural area in the knowledge that poisonous snakes live there, and in the knowledge that a part of my life is going to involve the eradication of same.
Would it not be easier to live in Central?
Sitting here wondering about this irrationality, I do have some solace.
You will be carrying this threat with you at all times as there is probably a snake of one description or another within about 20' of you at all times, and at first spotting you will be gripped with this "quandary/fear" of venomous or non-venomous.
Further, one day when you are bludgeoning a snake to death, this thought should cross your mind..... is it an adult or immature? Is the parent behind me & readying itself to pump a gob full into my blood system (out of protection of its young)? And then this........
tjungarayi wrote:
Early symptoms of a bite include ptosis, diplopia, dysphagia, and dizziness, followed by progressive respiratory muscle weakness, ultimately requiring endotracheal intubation. Cobra venom is a postsynaptic neurotoxin. It works by stopping the acetylcholine molecules in the diaphragm muscle from interacting. Without treatment death from respiratory failure may occur as early as 30 minutes after being bitten.

And with your Karma...., it will happen.

Alan,
just to let you know, I came across another Chinese Cobra this morning on the path to PSB.
It had its head down a hole and didn't notice my approach.
I touched it (& took a step back quickly).... it wriggled its way out of the hole, saw me and fled.
"there are numerous Chinese Cobras on Lamma".

Tjung, it wasn't even aggressive in protection of its potential food source..... sleep well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:07 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

There was some previous discussion (and pictures) here:

http://www.lamma.com.hk/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

According to published records, no King Cobras have been recorded on Lamma, but there's always a first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:21 pm 

Anonymous Guy wrote:

Okay. Still there are a lot more rat snakes. Yet people seem to identify any snake they see as a cobra. I think most, if not all, of the time, it isn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:00 pm 

Alan wrote:
Anonymous Guy wrote:

Okay. Still there are a lot more rat snakes. Yet people seem to identify any snake they see as a cobra. I think most, if not all, of the time, it isn't.

Yes, I have many a time thought I'd seen a large cobra, especially in my early days on Lamma, but in reality was probably a Rat Snake.
But I do believe/know I have seen a couple (at least) King Cobras, but I guess until I get a definitive photo, I/we will never know. I am by no means a snake expert, and I will defer to others if they are sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:38 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Alan wrote:
Anonymous Guy wrote:

I wasn't aware that a rat snake rears up and spreads a hood but if it does, then point taken. If it doesn't I would have to conclude that this bad boy was indeed a cobra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:36 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Perhaps there's a regional distribution of cobras on Lamma? I rarely go to Tai Ping, or Ko Long, where Guy lives, which may explain why I've seen so few on Lamma. There don't seem to be any cobras in Nga Kau Wan or Sha Po New Village, where I used to live.

Haven't seen any mammals either, apart from one squirrel about 10 years ago. But none since - maybe the King Cobras got them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:20 am 
over 500 messages posted
over 500 messages posted

anonymous guy...And with your Karma...., it will happen.

just like steve irwin!

For your sake I hope no one gets bitten.

Sounds like you are playing with fire.