[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Lamma Wildlife
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Lamma Wildlife
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:54 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:36 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:31 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

it's a caterpillar.

Kiss this hairy ass.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:50 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

er, yes, the query did say "apart from the obvious"...

My very limited knowledge and resources have failed to identify this beast - my best guess would be some kind of hawk moth larva. I'm trying to locate someone who can come up with a positive ID.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:04 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

I thought the obvious was the twig it was on.

The caterpillar does not feature in the HK insects book, but agree with Zep, likley to be a moth caterpillar. Looks not unlike the Moon moth, Arctias selene

Kiss this hairy ass.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:04 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

I have asked the resident "insect man" in Sok Kwu Wan about the green monster, and he confirms that it is the caterpillar of a hawk moth, but says that there is not enough information to say which species. A bit more depth of field on the photo might have been useful.

What is a hawk moth? It's a very large moth, usually feeding on flowers around dusk. The most famous is the Death's Head Hawk moth of "Silence of the Lambs" fame. Other species of hawk moth are not uncommon in Hong Kong and (the rest of) China.

Insectman reports that many people have reported seeing "humming birds" in China. These reports almost certainly refer to hawk moths, as they flit and hover in a similar way and are similar in size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:12 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

An entomology expert from Kadoorie Farm looked at the pic and comments:

"This is either the Oleander Hawkmoth (Daphnis nerii) or it's close relative Daphnis hypothous. Do you have (or can you provide) details of the plant species upon which the caterpillar was feeding? If you can rear the caterpillar through to an adult, it is quite easy to separate the two species"

There is an article on this in the publication Porcupine! which comes out of Kadoorie farm. Those interested in the technical details can look at:

http://www.hku.hk/ecology/porcupine/por ... htm#index2