Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:41 pm 
Over 1,000 messages posted

Adult male
{L_IMAGE}

1st winter male
{L_IMAGE}

Video w/audio courtesy of Neil Fifer thru HKBWS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/5237402905/

Last edited by Anonymous Guy on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:15 pm 

02/12/2010
1st winter male
Tai Shan West
Needed the experts at HKBWS to ID this one for me...
Excellent ID description from lPaul:
I would say this is a first-winter Red-breasted Flycatcher. Note the combination on limited black in the upper tail coverts, tail itself apparently not fully black (but possibly due to the angle?), the brownish tones to the upperparts, buff wash to what can be seen of the underparts, buffish pale tips to the greater coverts, obvious 'rose thorn' shape to the tertial tips, and the pale base to the lower mandible.

This really has proved to have been overlooked in the past and is now clearly a regular but rare winter visitor to Hong Kong which is amazing given that the nearest breeding gounds are in northern Iran. I have one looking set to winter near my house in Sai Kung, although that is not giving quite the views that this bird is, but is very vocal.

The first photo was taken at 11:26am, and as you are probably aware the light was much brighter today than on previous days, although all the images were taken under some shade/cover, but may still be light affected.
The subsequent photos 11:27am after the bird flew off, but returned immediately.
The final photo was taken at 11:30 after the bird had been spooked by a Bulbul, but returned from a different angle.
These are a selection from about 20 or so images which should cover most of the body areas.
The 2nd image , the tail is probably light affected as you you can see a shaft of sunlight interrupted on the branch below.
Whilst perched it flicked it's tail frequently.

I believe it is the same bird I have been seeing for about 1 week.., but it has never entered my 5' virtual box.., so no photos.
Today it did not actually make it to the water & seemed very nervous..... will resist taking photos next time & perhaps it will go to water... although with the constant mobbing by Starlings the last few days, most of the birds seem nervous.
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}

04/12/2010
1st winter male
Tai Shan West
{L_IMAGE}

06/12/2010
Adult male
Tai Shan West
Video w/audio courtesy of Neil Fifer thru HKBWS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/5237402905/

Set of photos of adult male Red-Breasted Flycatcher taken 06/12/2010 on Lamma Island.... full set of Photos, video & sound bytes at this link........ http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/redirect.php?tid=12824&goto=lastpost#lastpost
07/12/2010
Adult Male
Tai Shan West
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}

10/12/2010
Adult male
Tai Shan West
After an absence of a few days this adult male Red-breasted Flycatcher returned to bathe..... but no calls this time.
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}