Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: BIRDS - Collared Crow
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:19 pm 
Over 1,000 messages posted

Corvus torquatus
Also known as the Ring-necked Crow or White-collared Crow
Size: - 50cm/20"
Call: A loud "kaaar" repeated several times with other slight variations on it to suit the occasion.
It also like many other corvids, utters strange clipping and clicking sounds during its head bowing display to another bird.
Range: Basically China, covering large areas of the country though not further north than Beijing.
It occurs in plains and low lying river valleys in fairly open country and cultivated regions and is a common sight in paddy fields.
It tends to avoid large towns and cities and is predominantly a rural species.
Food: Food is sought mainly on the ground where a large range of items are taken, such as insects, mollusks and other invertebrates (even from shallow water), grains, especially rice and it also searches among refuse for suitable food items left by humans. It appears to take less carrion than other species but will if the opportunity arises, and will also take eggs and nestlings.
Breeding: December to April. Smallish stick nest plastered with mud in a tree. There are usually 3-4 eggs laid.

It is about the same size or slightly larger than the Carrion Crow (C. corone), with proportionately slightly longer wings, tail and bill. It has glossy black plumage except for the back of the neck, upper back (mantle), and a broad band around the lower breast that is white. The bill, legs and feet are black.
It sometimes flies with its feet hanging down below the body in a characteristically "lazy" way.
{L_IMAGE}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:23 pm 

27/02/2011
Windmill
D3 w/Nikkor 500mm F/4D
Only one seen today although in previous years have seen a pair of them in the same vicinity.
Hangs out with half a dozen or so Jungle Crows.
This particular one was seen bobbing its heads trying to attract a nearby Jungle Crow.
{L_IMAGE}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:17 pm 

Congratulations on getting such a close shot. I saw 2 black ones followed by this collared one too.

{L_IMAGE}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:48 pm 

Good to see someone new posting photos. Looking forward to seeing more photos.
I assume was taken up near the windmill.
I wasn't so close, shots were from about 60' and 80', is just that I have a big lens.... may have another try at getting closer now I know where they perch.