Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Local Schooling on Lamma
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:16 pm 

I've been thinking for quite some time to send my children to the local primary school - both were born in Hong Kong and the eldest (only three) has a basic understanding of Cantonese (the youngest can't even say 'dada' yet). I'd love some comments from parents who are not local, but decided to send their children there (how quickly the children adapt, how hard it is to support them with homework, whether the children are happy, etc.). We are not moving back to our birth country and so do not have to think about compatible curriculum (an oft cited argument against local education).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:03 pm 
Parenting Forum Moderator

My child's too young for school...however a few of my friends send their kids to the local school in YSW and they seem to be happy. I will ask her about her experiences. From what she has said previously they get on and adapt well, they have help from their parents boosting up their maths and English at home. Communication can sometimes be a problem as the mum doesn't speak Cantonese. I know she has also had a few issues with some of the teaching methods and attitudes to discipline. But overall her kids are happy and well adjusted and growing up bilingual!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:23 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

You can start them at the kindergarten, which has half-day sessions.
http://www.ololckg.edu.hk/home.php

The Hans Andersen Centre in Tai Wan Village is worth checking out.
They have lots of activities and an after-school coaching classes.