[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Photos of Lamma Gardens
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Photos of Lamma Gardens
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:07 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

In this topic we'll be showcasing gardens on Lamma.

Post or email us photos of YOUR garden!

The first three gardens are showcased in the Gardens of HK 2008 calendar, photographed by our moderator Jane Ram for the HK Gardening Society.

This calendar will be on sale - among other brand-new books and calendars by Lammaites - at the Lamma.com.hk stall at the Lamma Fun Day on Nov 4.

Attachments:
Calendar-cover.jpg
Calendar-cover.jpg [ 124.65 KiB | Viewed 2341 times ]
Calendar-0805.jpg
Calendar-0805.jpg [ 188.17 KiB | Viewed 2341 times ]
Calendar-0807.jpg
Calendar-0807.jpg [ 198.22 KiB | Viewed 2341 times ]
Calendar-0808.jpg
Calendar-0808.jpg [ 148.24 KiB | Viewed 2341 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:00 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

I'm very envious of the Phalaenopsis display - how do they do that? I've tried growing Phalaenopsis with almost no success. I'd be interested to hear from others who have tried growing orchids. I have had limited success with some types, like this Cattleya which bloomed this week. Since I don't have a garden, the roof is the only available space.

{L_IMAGE}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:14 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

This one snuck up on me - I didn't see the buds hidden away on the far side of the pot until the flower was almost open yesterday. Another nice Cattleya.

{L_IMAGE}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:22 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

These Cattleyas never seem to last very long for me. The one above withered and died after two days, before the second bud had even opened fully. Too much watering? Didn't like the wind? Can't work it out. The Dendrobiums seem to fare much better, and tolerate bright sun much better too. This one has been flowering now for nearly 6 weeks.

{L_IMAGE}

Post subject: Orchids
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:00 am 
Gardening forum moderator

Lovely pix. You are probably right about the wind, but other types seem to stand almost any amount of neglect. and the wind is even said to strengthen their stems. But we're probably talking about gentle breezes rather than icy gales.
Maybe there's enough interest to form an orchid group? How about it? Any more orchid enthusiasts out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:48 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

This orchid - Oncidium - seems to be one of the easiest to grow. It tolerates a variety of light and moisture conditions and the flowers stay around for quite a while. They are sometimes called the "dancing lady" orchid as the individual flowers look a bit like a flamenco dancer in action. I saw this one in flower market street - it had bigger and brighter yellow flowers than the others I have, so I got it for $20. I don't regard it as one of "my" flowers, though, as it was bought in bud and opened a few days later. It is easy to buy flowering orchids, but the trick is keeping them alive to flower the following season. I only regard it as a "success" if I can get a flower from one that has flowered a second time, or that I have grown from a young plant.

{L_IMAGE}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:00 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

I bought this one in Prince Edward for $15 with a flower stalk in bud. I've bought orchids in bud before only to see the buds shrivel and die, so was not too hopeful, but now two weeks later this one has come out, with rather an attractive delicate small flower. Don't know what kind it is.

{L_IMAGE}

{L_IMAGE}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:03 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

it looks like one of those tiny miniature oncidiums -- we bought some up there around this time last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:12 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:35 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Nice show of colour in the Tai Peng community garden at the moment. (Incidentally the land dispute was sorted out a couple of weeks ago, and everyone now seems to be happy)

{L_IMAGE}