[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - passion fruit
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:40 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:44 pm 

Ros,

I am interested!! :-))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:49 pm 

Take it you mean in the veggie seeds!

Have quite a lot available, lots are the mini variety.

Call me on 91956649 to arrange discussion re general looking or pick up.

Ros

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:04 pm 

Thanks very much Ros,

I feel bad not being able to answer for yout passion fruit plant. I would have feel happy for an exchange. However, I have found this on the internet.

Harvesting

The plants will begin to produce fruit 8–20 months after planting out. Fruit is produced throughout the year, but there are usually peak times for harvesting. Plants will produce for 3–6 years. Often the highest yielding plants will die back first. When ripe, the fruit will fall to the ground where they can be picked up. The ground should be kept clear of weeds, though some low ground cover can help to avoid damaging the fruit. The roots of passion fruit cover a very large area – up to 6m in diameter – and are often very near the surface of the soil. Even slight digging may cause damage. Planting low cover crops, such as cow peas, grass or lablab may be the best answer.

...maybe that will help...at least I do hope so. I have found it at http://tilz.tearfund.org/Publications/F ... +fruit.htm

I'll call you next week for the veggie seeds! Do you think I can grow them in big pots? Thx :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:53 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

We had a couple of passionfuit in the community garden in Tai Peng, but I see they have disappeared over summer. I don't know much about it but from the Internet I gather that they are susceptible to quite a lot of diseases.

Many plants or seeds from UK have a hard time coping with the high temperature and humidity over here and that might be part of the problem. We have a bit of experience here in the Tai Peng garden, so it might be good to talk to some of us once activities get back in full swing when the weather gets a bit cooler. I'm interested in some of the veggie seeds, and could plant a few in a plot here on your behalf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:30 am 

Hi Zep,

You wrote "Tai Peng Garden"....is it a metaphor or there is really a garden in Tai Peng? Can I visit it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:53 am 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

Certainly the full meaning of the Tai Peng garden is currently obscured by the weeds of summer neglect, and it may represent many different metaphors for different gardening and community folk, but it's definitely a real place with real soil and growing things, children and sunshine, and it ought to be swingin' full again by October. Garden members and visitors usually congregate on Sundays for work play and a potluck lunch. It's just past the public toilets on the right hand side. Just step over the unsightly woven-wire fence. (We'll fix that situation up soon after the gardening season begins for us again)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:12 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Yes, there definitely is a garden in there beneath the weeds! Do come and take a look. Carry on a few metres past the International Boulodrome. Actually one or two of us have already started pottering about and clearing things up a bit. The margins at the back have been weeded and planted with lilies and Portulaca and I have a few radishes appearing. I notice one or two of the other plots are also showing signs of human intervention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:15 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Well, it certainly looks like many weeks of weeding work ahead for all of you. Mikunia, weeds and shrubs have taken over most of the Garden, turning it into a really thriving jungle, hiding the former flower and vegi beds. Pumpkin stalks have been spread most impressively and horizontally for more than ten metres. The tadpoles seem to like the pond, feasting on the mosquito larvae.

I'd love to see this again after the clean-up, returning to its former beautiful glory days. It takes me a lot of daily work to keep my own Rooftop Jungle under control while almost everything, especially weeds, is growing like crazy in this humid summer heat, especially with daily watering.

Here are a few recent pictures for Om, in case she misses the entrance to the Tai Peng Community Garden when walking by the dense brush. Don't forget your machete! :lol:

Attachments:
!DSC_4778.jpg
!DSC_4778.jpg [ 153.48 KiB | Viewed 2047 times ]
!DSC_4765.jpg
!DSC_4765.jpg [ 157.13 KiB | Viewed 2047 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:39 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:08 am 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

Ros, if I were u, I would consider starting over with the passion vine. They grow from cuttings and once started they seem to grow quite quickly. I can easily get you some cuttings. The garden member who started the passion vine used rooting hormone, which he obtained from one of the seed shops on Connaught Road just past Western Market. By the way, the passion vine in question did not succumb to disease, but was accidentally uprooted in a less-controlled weeding event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor