[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - New Music forum Co-moderator: Yogesh
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:45 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

This Music forum has been dormant for a too long time now. The autumn season is starting up and the surviving Lamma Bands are coming out of summer hibernation, performing all over HK again.
Music is a topic so close to so many Lammaites' hearts, I've appointed a new volunteer co-moderator for this forum, Yogesh, a classical musician and great music lover herself.

The former long-time moderator of this forum, bbchris, has left Lamma a while ago and her priorities have shifted from organising music events and playing in several bands to bringing up her twins. Many many thanks to bbchris for moderating this forum for several years and all the best with your future endeavors on HK Island!

Yogesh will focus mainly on classical and world music, so we still another co-moderator familiar with Lamma bands and the local music scene. One of our local musicians would be ideal. Anyone interested? It's little work but offers HUGE (non-monetary) rewards in street cred on YSW High Street, name recognition and eternal gratitude from the forum members (maybe). Email or PM me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:24 pm 
Chinese & Music Forums Moderator

Classical and Baroque music is what I consume everyday, but my music tastes are pigeon-holed into these genres and I do find other kinds of music interesting to listen to. I especially love music from different parts of the world - "Sound of the world" as Charlie Gillett (who has a radio show on BBC World Service) rightly puts it.

So what are you listening at the moment? Tell me what you like/don't like about it.

If there's any musical event on/off Lamma please let us know about it. If you have been to any of those, this forum is your space to air your comments.

:wink:

Post subject: Music from Africa
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:08 pm 
over 400 messages posted
over 400 messages posted

I spent a bit of time in South Africa and was able to hear a lot of live music while I was there. I had always liked music from Latin America. I was equally impressed with the S. and W. African music I heard and appreciated the commonalities. If you like to dance, not much can compare in my opinion. The first thing I picked up when I returned to the U.S. (as I had no idea where to start) was the Putumayo "Women of Africa" cd and that led me to many great artists. Don't worry guys, men sing a fine backup on some of the songs. Bookworm Cafe carries Putumayo and may have this one. If you like house music, the 2-disk set (not by Putumayo) called "Cafe d'Afrique" is spectacular and features artists from all over Africa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:30 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

If you like Putomayo, note that Bookworm Cafe has a complete selection, AND it is priced lower than HIV I mean HMV records.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:36 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:37 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Spinoza,
A fine, meaningful and inspirational post in under 50 words. See, you CAN do it...

Post subject: fun music
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:27 pm 

Hi Yogesh, thanks for taking over moderation of this forum, I love reading about music and will be great to have an active forum. i love all kinds of music, had a background and training in classical music when i was a teenager and since then have broadened to really love all sorts. in Melbourne i used to go out to live music at least once a week and more often, there is a great live music scene there. i love radio and having just arrived i am still firmly attached to my routine of listening to my favorite stations, now online of course: Radio National (ABC), and RRR both of which have fantastic diverse music programs.
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/subject.htm#music
http://www.rrr.org.au/

cheers Lesley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:44 pm 
Chinese & Music Forums Moderator

I'm so happy that I'm not the only person who likes listening to Radio National. "Quiet Space" and "Nocturne" (no longer on air now) were my favourites. A lot of their programmes are also available on Radio Australia, and I used to listen to it quite a lot on shortwave before the age of online audio streaming.

Another music show I would really want to recommend is "Late Junction" on BBC Radio 3, because of the mix of music from different genres and places.

Post subject: Re: Music from Africa
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:52 pm