[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - jazz venues in HK
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: jazz venues in HK
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:21 am 
Environmental Forum Co-moderator

Post subject: jazz venue in central
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:38 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:16 am 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

The Peel Fresco Lounge. If anyone on Lamma ever needed to be reminded why they don't live in SOHO/ mid-Levels, they should visit this place.

It's actually an overflow from the horribly cramped Joyce Is Not Here, on the opposite side of the street. The long outworn 60s take on art deco that characterizes Joyce Is Not Here (tabletops on inverted ladies' legs etc) isn't helped by the sensation that there's just enough room in the place to uncap a beer but not enough to actually have a drink.

I mention the decor because Joyce is an interior designer, but god only knows why because the Fresco place is done in what I can only call a retro baroque that personally I find totally ridiculous.

I once visited, and the only jazz I heard was of that totally blandoid variety that has been over rehearsed for wedding receptions.

I ordered a snack, but what finally arrived was so minimalist it wouldn't have satisfied a cat, and of course it was completely tasteless, just like the decor. The bill, on the other hand, was the kind that makes you wonder whether you should file for bankruptcy. The waiter forgot to give me a fork, but all was delivered, eventually, in that standard mid-Levels take it or leave it style (or am I talking about Lamma?).

Don't get on the email list for this place because if you do you may actually go the whole nine yards of reading a Joyce email. Joyce is Hong Kong's greatest exponent of that kind of bizarre psycho babble that yaks on and on about love life relationships joy regret sorrow elation nature soul (fill in the blanks, especially if you post cameraphone pics on public upload websites). If you've read a few artist's statements at art galleries in Hong Kong, you'll immediately recognize the genre.

Tavis, you might want to refine your definition of jazz, because so much of the blandoid mainstream relies on reverence for a bunch of creepy utterly inane ditties called standards. Yep, those Diana Krall albums only exist for one reason, to put stressed out business people to sleep. I don't think this is the kind of jazz you want.

Still, I've always thought there should be a Lamma version of "Fever," starting with the line, "Everybody has a doggy; that is something you all know." Don't all write in at once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:44 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Heh heh!! Have to agree 100% with kalistofa's remarks, especially about the gag-inducing Joyce Is Not Here. I still feel an onrush of nausea at thought of the verbiage I endured some years ago when on her email list - as much out of curiosity as anything else.

Among the best 'jazz' gigs (also agree the word requires definition) I've seen in HK have been at Grappa's Cellar, certainly if you extend the genre to 'blues'. The Fringe Club and some of the LCSD gigs at City Hall/Arts Centre etc. are also worth a look, the snag being that they can be of the sit-down-and-stare-at-the-band variety. But still ... when in Rome....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:28 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Tavis, if as Marc Antony suggests you extend jazz to include blues, then you might want to try Tommy Chung's performances at The Wanch, in Wanchai. If you want a nicely dark dive, this is the place.

Tommy Chung has been double billed over recent months with Lamma's own Red Star Rising, BTW. Maybe Steve would like to add a bit of a self-promotion, here.

Chung is a legend, and not just in Hong Kong, but if you have a lot of dental work, some of it may fall out when you hear his stuff.

Another medical warning is that the Wanch is quite small, so in case the decibels start to be too much, I recommend taking a pair of earplugs. This is no joke.

They have an email list for the weekly schedules. The gigs are mainly rock cover bands, with only a few of the songs having stood the test of time. I mean, Big Wheels Alabama just doesn't do it for me, these days. Red Star resolutely refuses to do any covers.

Joyce should definitely check this place out, if she wants to learn what makes a music venue a music venue. The Wanch is a masterpiece of interior design.

Footnote: I checked the Wanch schedule at http://www.myspace.com/thewanchhk, but unfortunately Chung isn't listed for June. Lamma's Steve Cray is, on 6/16 (in acoustic mode, apparently), and as Red Star on 6/19, and there's something called Blues Espresso on 6/27.

Chung has a website, http://www.48chicagoblues.com/, which includes a "Latest News" page. At time of writing this post, the most recent entry was for June 5, a performance at the Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:55 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Update on Tommy Chung:

Managed to contact Tommy Chung by email. He indicated he would be continuing with monthly gigs at The Wanch, but what would normally be his June gig will probably be postponed until early July. Then he will also be touring in Japan in July.

He said information about his upcoming gigs is posted to his Latest News page, http://www.48chicagoblues.com/Latest%20News.htm

He also mentioned that years ago there was the Jazz Club in Central, but it closed. He knows of no equivalent place like the Wanch, in HK, for jazz. Quote: "It really isn't easy to run any place or anything remotely concerned with music in Hong Kong."

My own suggestion would be that if there is a significant number of interested people (12-20 ??), they could try to persuade the people at the Wanch to bring in a jazz combo or similar for 2~3 hours a week, to see if there's any long-term interest.

Post subject: Jazz venue in central
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:56 am 

Tommy Ho plays Jazz, Tommy chung plays Blues, Steve cray plays blues.

regular wed. @peel Bob mocarsky's Organ trio. with Al gordon( from NY)
mocarsky was pianist for Bob macfferin.
but Tues is not jazz . there are folk people .. there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:31 am 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Can you add some more detail about the kind of jazz played by Tommy Ho and Bob Mocarsky? Where does Tommy Ho play?

Previously, FUNKYJAZZY, you mentioned Gecko and Vibe. Are these venues still alive and offering some type of jazz, as far as you know?

Any information you could manage to give would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:35 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:16 am 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:04 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:15 am 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Yes, Peel Fresco is getting some good musicians/bands, but you can't swing a cat. The one time I visited (a Saturday) it was too packed to be enjoyable - probably better during the week. And yes, Eugene Pao is top notch - and seems to be doing plenty of gigs thesedays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:18 am 

Well, I suppose if there's no room to swing a cat then there's not enough room for a cat to swing! :D

Post subject: jazz venue in central
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:04 pm 

not so many people knows,, about Sunday late jam @peel.
there are all top top. A-hung the bass, Ted lo, Robin Harris. Guy le claire. joao marcarehas, Miles lee. wilson lam, it's depends on the day, who is the host..
probably the best jam in the town... til very late...