[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - 'Lamma My Island' film review by Nick the Bookman
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:40 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Alba's Lamma Movie 17/9/2011. (View trailer)

Well, I'm back...Did you miss me much? Anyway, time to jump through spacetime hoops again while trying to mash up Alba's movie review, The RWC 2011 World Cup and life in general. Here goes...

It's about 1920 (HKT) and I've just arrived at Diesels' for the first of four screenings of Alba's long gestating/finally finished tribute to life on Lamma. I'm in a good mood. Ireland have just beaten Australia 15-6 in their pool match to become front-runners to top Pool C. People in the know say it's a major upset. Not really. Australia are ranked third in this RWC. Ireland are ranked fourth. The match could have gone either way. There were no tries and Ireland would have won 24-12 if all kicks were successful. It's a setback for Australia who are now the likely runners-up in the Pool, meaning they will face South Africa in the QF's and hosts, New Zealand in the SF's. Assuming, they win the QF. Australia were beaten 23-32 by Samoa prior to the RWC. That was an upset. Then the Wallabies won the Tri-Nations title for the first time in 10 years. Ireland lost 19-18 to Australia in the RWC 1991 QF. Australia beat England 12-6 at Twickenham in the Final. Ireland also lost 16-17 to Australia in a pool match in RWC 2003. That tournament in Australia could be summed up as The Tale of Two Drop Goals. Ireland fluffed one by David Humphries against Australia. That win for the Men In Green would have meant an Ireland-New Zealand SF and a most likely third appearance in the Final for the All Blacks. As it happened, Australia beat New Zealand 22-10 in the SF and faced England in the Final. Cue the second drop goal. By Jonny Wilkinson in the last 30 seconds of extra time. Success. England won their only RWC Final. By 20 points to 17.

Just a little jump ahead to 23/9/2011. New Zealand are playing France (their rugby bogey team) in their Pool A crunch match. The two sides are 2-2 win/loss, going into this Tournament. New Zealand has been getting bad press in Australia, and possibly Europe for the behaviour of their more hill-billy/redneck/soccer hooligan style fans. Insulting fans from other countries. Spitting at them. Throwing beer on them. Offering to fuck their wives and kiddies. Basically being piss-poor hosts. Then the All Blacks take to the field against France and do their controversial throat-slitting gesture Haka. Very bad PR guys. What are you saying. Welcome to the Land of the Long White Cloud. Enjoy yourselves at OUR World Cup. Spend all your money here. And we'll cut your fucking throats when you leave. I know New Zealand desperately wants to win a second World Cup. Their first since 1987. But, you're good enough to win it playing fair. No need to go rabid dunny dog mongrel on your guests. New Zealand easily beat France 37-17 after being 19-3 up at half time. In the second half France got a late intercept try by Mermoz. All Black Conrad Smith can be seen in a close-up replay mouthing "You fuck off" to Mermoz after he scored. Meanwhile Jerome Kaino elbowed another French player in the face. No yellow card. After the match, Richie Macaw receives a special silver All Black cap to mark his 100th Test Match. The first Kiwi to become a Test Centurion. The 19th overall. No one else has had such a ceremony. Stephen Jones of Wales played his 100th Test the match before Richie. So did John Smit, the South African captain. Ronan O'Gara turns out for the 114th time today against Russia. Mils Miuliaina and Keven Meleamu of New Zealand are closing in on 100 appearances. Are they going to get their silver caps as well. It just seems a bit childish and attention-seeking, that's all.

OK, back to the 17th. There's a reasonable crowd inside Diesel's for the film premiere. Dave Spicer and Bob Davies chatting by the bar. Hermann and Lucy have arrived. They're sitting next to Ivan and Ivy. Peta. Caroline, Annie and Maria (with the jewellery shop) are across the room. Leigh's in and out. Other people are drinking outside. A DVD is passed forward and inserted into the player. I've been assured by Alba that "you're in the film", Sounds groovy. The film begins... Alba tells us that there are are about 7 million people in HK. And about 6,500 or so resident on Lamma. There are overall maps, Film of the HKFF ferry disgorging passengers. Shots up and down Main Street. Familiar faces, hustling and bustling. Animals on the prowl. And Alan at one point with his dogs. Looking healthier than he does now. A bit more erect and less of The Shambling, Shuffling Living Dead. The film is broken into chapters. Including The Arena, Living In Harmony and Our Natural Beauty. There's coverage of The Melting Pot Festival on the football pitch. The Curs are playing. Earlier shots of the Opera House being constructed and The Curs doing a sort of "corporate gig" for the elderly local residents.

Here's a section of Lamma's most photogenic dogs. Both stills and motion film. About 20 or so dogs are shown. No Jack and Double though. Or Xena. Which diminishes my interest a little. Some one cries out "Is this a Dogumentary?" Dr. John Wedderburn talks about LAW. No mention of the schism with LAP. Both organisations do good work in rescuing strays and abused animals. There's film of various activities/parties/The Lamma 500 on Power Station Beach. Hermann is interviewed. Linda does a spacy slow shuffle dance on the beach and reminisces about her earlier career as a ballerina. She met Dame Margot Fonteyn you know. Bob Davis has loaned some of his classic photos of Lamma dating back to 1976. The Before and After views are striking. Kelly is interviewed at home and distils the Lamma philosophy. "You take care of each other, love each other" Not too many groans and jeers at that. Marian and Peter are interviewed about the joys of taking the Aberdeen sampan home after a late night on the tiles. Amber and Udo talk about their amber and jewellery shop. There's brief footage of Marcel and Nuch's wedding last year. I was there, but don't make the brief footage. Canadian Dave (the hobo/beachbum - this isn't meant as a diss) crops up. He's about the closest Lamma has got to Hunter. Dave isn't here now. His visa ran out. There's shots of Kathy at her bar. Alba and her family and her dogs make several appearances. There are nice meandering walks and pathways that I don't recognise after 24 years on Lamma. Steve Cray has appeared on screen. Longer hair, his beret and a big cheroot. The picture freezes and pixilates. For about the fourth time. Very stop start film, leading to some audience irritation. And now, there's a clean shaven shot of Alan. He's made about 3 appearances so far.

You know the single biggest problem facing mankind these days. Of course you do. You're not stupid people. It's the Big Bang of problems and there are no easy answers. Runaway population growth and pressure is mankind's biggest disaster in waiting. All other problems stem from that. The Population Explosion - caused by a countless number of small bangs. One new baby each second, according to the BBC. That's 3,600 an hour. 84,400 each day. 2,583,484 new borns every 365-day year. The seven billion figure is fast approaching. Possibly a child born in India. I've got no answers to this. Mari and I have no kids either. Something's going to snap at some point. Too many people versus dwindling natural resources. Apocalyptic scenarios. Part biblical with plagues, earthquakes, floods, droughts, and macro-storms. Decreasing farm land, surrendering to garbage dumps. Decaying cities and ruined infrastructures. A possibility of nuclear war. Or bio-war. Maybe the volcanoes and calderas in The Canary Islands and Yellowstone Natural Park will blow soon. They're way overdue. Ditto for a large meteoroid impact. Or a dino-killer asteroid collision. Triggering a millennium of nuclear winter and near total extinction levels of life. At least it would mean no more crooked bankers and financiers. No more irrational and murderous religions from the Taliban and Al Queda to the fundamentalist Christian Republicans in America to the paedophile Catholic priests. And there's also...actually, that's probably enough to chew on. I'm getting depressed thinking about all this. So back to Alba's movie. A nice little distraction from everything else in this paragraph. And, Alba, thanks. I was in the film. A blink-and-you'll-miss-it semi-obscured cameo of me taking a mattress off the ferry. If only, I had signed the release....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:27 pm 

Another screening of Alba's 30+minute Lamma Dogumentary, in the Northern Lamma School this time:

View trailer...

{L_IMAGE}

{L_IMAGE}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:43 pm 

The Northern Lamma School has just now informed Alba that the screening tomorrow has to be rescheduled, until further notice.
Alba intended to show the extended version, revised after the poisoning of both her dogs.

NO SCREENING OF LAMMA... MY ISLAND TOMORROW, SAT, NOV 5.

New date for the screening to be announced, or if somebody has another venue available to show a DVD on a big screen to several dozen people?

Next international film festival to show "Lamma... My Island" will be in Puerto Rico, see below, after recent showings in Switzerland and Spain.

Attachments:
Puerto-Rico-140828766_n.jpg
Puerto-Rico-140828766_n.jpg [ 150.96 KiB | Viewed 2437 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:50 pm 

The film screening is on again!
A new venue has been found for tomorrow afternoon:

Beer Garden at 3pm, Sat, Nov 5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:24 pm