[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Injured Pigeon
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Injured Pigeon
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:36 am 

An injured pigeon standing in the middle of the road near the tennis court this morning and it is now in a paper box staying at my balcony. Seems that one of its wings and/or legs are injured.

Its left foot has a green plastic ring with 5 or 6 digits number on it, does it mean it is kept by someone? Someone on Lamma? Anyone got any ideas???

Attachments:
300420122902.jpg
300420122902.jpg [ 192.94 KiB | Viewed 1514 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:50 am 

I'm curious too as this weekend there was a pigeon on my roof and flying about the neighbourhood with tags on both legs - red and green - with unfortunately, two long pieces of the same colour string dangling from each tag, endangering the bird with the obvious chance of them getting tangled on something. So where have these tagged birds come from all of a sudden? A new pigeon-fanciers' / racing club?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:32 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

My guess is that these are homing (racing) pigeons that have been blown off course (and left disoriented or exhausted) by the recent turbulent weather. We had one (similar to pic, also with tag) that landed on our 2/F rooftop in Po Wah Yuen about 8 or 9 years ago. We fed it for a few days and it seemed happy to hang about, then one day it was gone.

I don't know what you'd do with an injured bird. Perhaps call HK Bird Soc ot SPCA and see if they can suggest anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:50 pm 

It is standing on one leg only and the other one clinging close to its body, and one of the wings is a bit dangling beside the body.

I don't know what to do with it except giving it water and some crumbles of bread... Hope it will be well and go away by itself soon or I better contact SPCA.

I've made a call to the government's 1823 hotline and they said if I contact the agriculture, fisheries and conservation dep't they would take it to have a bird flu test so I'd rather let it stay. (no idea what they would do to it after the test!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:25 pm 

Interesting... I'm not sure if the pigeons can survive by themselves in the wild if they have grown up in captivity their entire life. So be mindful of that if you want to let them go.

But good job unchu!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:37 pm 
over 800 messages posted
over 800 messages posted

Pls avoid the AFCD at all costs. They are complete idiots and they will kill the bird after some moronic investigation involving men in white suits and rubber masks. I jest not. Almost certainly the bird was blown off course and injured, whether by the weather or a cat, during the w/e storms. No mystery, no bird flu. The SPCA or HKBS will hopefully give some advice. Well done for helping!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:19 pm 

Thanks everyone! I just went check it and it is now gone. =]
I've put a cardboard paper on the box to make it half covered and it is now on the side. The pigeon must have pushed aside the cover and then flew away.
Good luck pigeon! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:55 pm