[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Encounter with dogs
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Encounter with dogs
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:56 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

I went for a walk today and found my way to Yung Shue Long Village. I followed the path and eventually went through Tai Peng Village and reached a section of the Cable Road. I turned left and not far away there was a side street. I went in. It was a road gradually downhill. At the turn of the corner, there was a house with large concrete space in front of it.

As I got near the house, I can hear dogs barking. One of them was on my left side. When I turned and have a look, I noticed the dog lying on a slope without any leash on it and it got up and walked toward me. I knew I had to retreat.

I knew I cannot outrun the dog, so I turned around and walk slowly back where I came from. I turned to have a look and I can see the dog barking and ran toward me. I continued walking and felt the teeth of the dog hit my heel as it tried to bite me (I was wearing sandal only). I ignored it and continue walking slowly. For some reason, it did not came after me.

When I reached a safe place, I checked my heel and there was no wound, just some pain, which went away soon.

I thought about swaying my umbrella to scare the dog away but I was afraid that it might aggravate the situation. I guess I am just lucky to get away.

Last edited by charlie on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:19 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

I think not a good tactic to turn around. If you are going to retreat walk backwards, or at least keep your eye on it. Pick up a rock or lump of wood if you can. The dog will notice and keep back.

I personally always carry a walking stick when hiking, and just raising it and pointing it at a dog is enough to make them keep their distance. An umbrella should work for that (if it's full length)..
If more than two or three, they can surround you and that would call for more extreme actions.

Dogs play dominance games with humans, they're not really trying to hunt and kill you. So when they try to intimidate me, I threaten them back, even while I'm retreating. So far haven't had to go beyond such play acting.

The jerks who keep dogs and let them run loose to intimidate people should be reported to AFCD and maybe police. Since it actually bit you they should have to take action.

Post subject: attacked by dogs
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:59 pm 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

This place is notorious for dog’s attacks. The path leads to pebbles beach where also there are many aggressive dogs. I am sure this deserves reporting to the police. This is the way some people try to scare off visitors. Similarly, I tried once to approach Luk Chau on kayak. I was greeted by several viciously looking dogs. Someone keeps them on inhabited island to prevent any “trespassing”.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:06 am 

My father-in-law was also bitten here, though he was on holiday and we didn't have time to report it before he left. I have felt very threatened walking in this area.
There is (was) a path that runs along the back of his property to the beach. There's not a lot left of the path, maybe because of the illegal piles of building material that have been delivered there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:05 am 

There is path going south from Luk Chau village along the coast, there are "beware of dogs" signs all along it and near the end there is a house with at least three dogs. When I came along the path the owner let the dogs out to scare me away. But I had my hiking stick so they just barked at me from a distance.

This is a public path leading to a small beach and pier, and one other house, aside from the one with the dogs. This guy has taken ownership of the path (obviously built by the government at considerable cost) and believes he has the right to physically threaten anyone who dares to use it.

I had a similar experience in the bucolic Gaia Valley. Residents lounged on their verandahs and smiled as their dogs raced out to threaten me until I retreated from their private little Shangri-La.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:21 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Thanks for the advice. I know what to do next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:00 pm 

Reportedly Luk Chau is home to drug traffickers, so this may explain the dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:34 am 

Post subject: Luk Chau
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:07 am 
over 300 messages posted
over 300 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:59 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted