[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Climbing Mt. Stenhouse
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

12%  12%  [ 5 ]
33%  33%  [ 14 ]
28%  28%  [ 12 ]
2%  2%  [ 1 ]
23%  23%  [ 10 ]
2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 43
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:27 pm 

It is organised by the Aberdeen Boat Club

http://www.abclubhk.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=77

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:41 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:41 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:04 am 

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:10 pm 

Nobody else coming along up Mt Stenhouse on Sunday morning?

Trying hard to find some more people to come along. So far, they all seem to be busy this Sunday morning, dragonboat training, Boostcamp, basketball competition, etc. Many Lammaites are astonishingly fit and sportive, even on Sundays, the traditional day of rest.

Up from Lo So Shing, 9:15-9:30am assembly at Lo So Shing beach, led by an experienced guide who's done this route up just a few weeks ago.
Down the other side, via the pavilion down to the Tin Hau temple in Sok Kwu Wan for lunch.

gfunk? nousername? Anybody else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:42 pm 

i'll be up for it, probably with a one or two more people.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:28 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

When you go via that path, please try to record a GPS track and then post it here.

I climbed Mt. Stenhouse via that path one time and I'm still wondering if that was the actual path or I just got lost. It had some red ribbons attached to the trees, but at some points I even had to climb vertically for about 1.5 meters high at the beginning of the path.

Post subject: Sunday
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:49 pm 

Count Mr Wiggychick in.... I'm off for a massage :-)

Have fun...

Mrs Wiggychick xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:30 pm 

Last edited by Lamma-Gung on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:49 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:55 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:52 am 

Great day on Sunday for our Mt. Stenhouse hike! Sunny, blue sky and fantastic visibility. 4 Lamma guys, meeting up via this forum, we all made it from Lo So Shing beach to the top and back via the pavilion. To our surprise, on this usually deserted paths, we met a few more hikers along the way, all except 1 not living on Lamma! Photos and Lamma-zine story in progress.

On request above, here's my Android phone GPS data, mapped via the free App MapMyHike onto a Google Earth satellite map, plus overlaid onto a much more detailed HK Govt. map from http://www.map.gov.hk:

Attachments:
MapMyHike-map-120415-elevation.jpg
MapMyHike-map-120415-elevation.jpg [ 172.4 KiB | Viewed 12921 times ]
Mt-Stenhouse-120415-map.gif
Mt-Stenhouse-120415-map.gif [ 211.37 KiB | Viewed 12921 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:44 am 

Attachments:
!DSC04928.jpg
!DSC04928.jpg [ 118.25 KiB | Viewed 12879 times ]
!DSC04950.jpg
!DSC04950.jpg [ 121.13 KiB | Viewed 12879 times ]
!DSC04930.jpg
!DSC04930.jpg [ 161.4 KiB | Viewed 12879 times ]
Adobe-Photoshop.jpg
Adobe-Photoshop.jpg [ 92.25 KiB | Viewed 12879 times ]
!DSC04907.jpg
!DSC04907.jpg [ 134.46 KiB | Viewed 12879 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:00 pm 

I went up Stenhouse this afternoon with a friend despite being told by some that it's too hot this time of the year. Against the good advise of Lamma-gung, I chose to wear a singlet and shorts because of the heat. Halfway to Sok Kwu Wan from Tai Peng it started raining but we pushed on. The rain did clear by the time we reach the pavilion at the base. Along the way up, the summer vegetation was VERY thick and there were times we were "submerged" in the vegetation. Pushed through and reached the summit. The view was very clear and we could see Kowloon and the many islands around. By the time I came down, my legs were very exfoliated with some scratches, but not as bad as I expected.

Lesson: Wear long sleeves and trousers! Maybe bring a machete to clear the vegetation if you're nice enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:15 am 

You went up there during a T1 signal, with a T3 announced to be raised soon, and intermittent rain? A truly brave man....
We were thinking of you while sitting in Concerto Inn, celebrating the 10th anniversary of Lamma.com.hk today.

Watch those scratches, they often get infected. I scratched my leg during mountainbiking a few months ago and it took two courses of different antibiotics and a month for the infections and swellings to clear up.

Did you meet as many people going up or coming down as we did a few months ago, see above? Or was nobody else foolish, eh, brave enough to go up there during a typhoon signal being up? :roll:

Photos of your ascent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:15 am 

We didn't know there was a typhoon signal but it explains why it was quite windy and cooling. No we didn't see anyone foolish enough... the summer vegetation really covers the path and I highly recommend having someone who's been up many times with you.

I might spent a night on the rock close to Penis Rock with a sleeping bag while the weather is still warm. Don't think there's a need for a tent.

Attachments:
IMG-20120722-00182.jpg
IMG-20120722-00182.jpg [ 46.4 KiB | Viewed 12647 times ]
IMG-20120722-00181.jpg
IMG-20120722-00181.jpg [ 60.57 KiB | Viewed 12647 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:26 am 

Attachments:
File comment: Photo by Lisa Stella
Lisa-Stella-1.jpg
Lisa-Stella-1.jpg [ 78.19 KiB | Viewed 12383 times ]
File comment: Photo by Rambler, Sun, Jan 20, 2013
Rambler-We-were-there-wp.jpg
Rambler-We-were-there-wp.jpg [ 197.89 KiB | Viewed 12384 times ]
File comment: Photo by Creamer family
430926_10151382178211125_822733184_n.jpg
430926_10151382178211125_822733184_n.jpg [ 47.08 KiB | Viewed 12384 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:10 pm 

More info from the Aberdeen Boat Club about the Four Peaks Race last weekend, Jan 26/27. Runners were racing to the top of Mt Stenhouse from their sailboats and back, continuing to ascend 3 more, taller hills around HK:

Best time amongst the 20 teams this year:
an incredible, insane 53 minutes... and it was wet and raining!
http://www.abclubhk.com/race/FP2013/results/FP2013_MtStenhouse.pdf

"The first boats are likely to arrive at Lamma in the late afternoon/early evening on Saturday. They may drop runners at Lo So Shing, or on the south coast, and pick up on the south coast, Mo Tat Wan or Sok Kwu Wan. Boats are often widely spread apart and the last to arrive may not be there till daylight on Sunday morning, but where they land runners and pick them up is difficult to predict. The time they arrive is also hard to predict. They check in with volunteer peak controllers at the top.

The time of 52 minutes was recorded by a boat's crew. It included not only the running time to the trig point on Mt Stenhouse and down again, but also the time for the runners to get ashore by kayak or dinghy and back aboard the boat after the run. Those runners that took the shortest viable route we know of, from a rocky bay on the south coast, the same one as the video refers to.

The year before I did the same route with others in about 1hr 10 minutes. Crews regularly do the route in this kind of time. This year the path is comparatively clear. We checked it last Saturday. Some years it is terrible...and we often do it in the dark! The last boats to do the peak this year may not be there till Sunday morning. It all depends on the wind."

More photos and Lamma-zine story coming up...

Press release:

The Aberdeen Boat Club hosted the annual Four Peaks Race last weekend, Saturday and Sunday 26-27 January. 176 crews, ages between 14 to 68 years old took part on 23 boats with the support of 77 volunteers.

“Kayaking, running, sailing. It’s a 24-hour triathlon and a box in my list of sport priorities that I had to tick”, said a visiting competitor based on the mainland.

The boats sailed around Hong Kong’s islands, all day Saturday morning and on through the night. Crew paddled kayaks and dinghies – no engines allowed – to beaches, jetties and rocky bays. They ran up Hong Kong’s peaks and checked in with teams of scouts and Hong Kong Sea School students who were volunteer stewards. Then back to the boats, sometimes by different trails because their boats had been sailing while they were climbing to gain a tactical advantage. The rules are complex and good strategy is essential.

It’s a race that offers everything. At 10am on Saturday there was lovely sunshine and wind. The evening brought calms and fickle gusts. It even rained for a while. But one young lady, part of the volunteer team of scouts on Violet Hill said, “I had a great time…and I only got a little bit wet!”

The police monitor the race and call the control room regularly to check on progress, right up till the last boat crossed the finish line end, at 6pm on Sunday night. Careful precautions are made to ensure safety as far as possible. Getting off a sailing boat and into a kayak at midnight off a rocky shore in January is not easy, but this race, run since 1985, is for everyone who loves something a bit different that involves challenge, camaraderie, sportsmanship, and endurance.

A newcomer to the event in his late 20s said after the event, “I think this was a wonderful race. It's a while since I've participated in sports and I enjoyed myself this much. Everything hurts in a happy sort of way!”

A veteran participant commented, “Taking part is unforgettable. The race is unique. There is nothing quite like it anywhere in the world.”

Results
Division A: 1st: Wicked - 2nd: Kei Lun - 3rd: Red Kite II
Division B: 1st: No One Else - 2nd: Javelin - 3rd: GA

Prize giving with photo display is 7pm Friday 1 February at Aberdeen Boat Club.

Visit www for details:
http://www.abclubhk.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=77

Attachments:
File comment: Ascending Mt. Stenhouse - all photos by ABC
Lamma-(2)-wp.jpg
Lamma-(2)-wp.jpg [ 78.35 KiB | Viewed 12314 times ]
File comment: Checking in the runners on Mt. Stenhouse's Trig Point
Scrutineering-(4)-wp.jpg
Scrutineering-(4)-wp.jpg [ 46.04 KiB | Viewed 12314 times ]
File comment: On the start line, 20 teams!
Start-Line-(2)-wp.jpg
Start-Line-(2)-wp.jpg [ 78.79 KiB | Viewed 12314 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:07 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:06 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted