[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Cargo blocking main exits on HKKF Central-YSW ferry
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Proceed at your own risk
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:56 pm 

Post subject: Re: Vv concerns
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:51 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Post subject: accountablitly
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:51 pm 

Tigger

think you also have a point.... HKKF have not been held properly accountable for the way they operate the service. I am still finding the exits are blocked on occasions. I have stepped in a few times when i can be bothered and asked for the exits to be unblocked which now HKKF ferry staff done when i told them to get the manager or coxswain. It starts of with waving of the hands and "its okay" kind of reply. Then when they see you are taking photos and video on the boat and see you will not back down they move the stuff. The other day I did this and managers were on the boat in 60 seconds sorting it out. The cargo passenger got very upset with th eHKKF staff but I told him they are only doing their job.... have a go at the marine department you do not like it. But it should not be the job of passengers to do this, it should be automatic and the boat staff deel empowered to enforce the policy. They work long hours with low pay and it seems managers that bully them. There was another time on Friday when the exits were blocked by cargo and i just could not be bothered to make a fuss again (i think HKKF hate me enough already). So I have gone back to the marine department with more evidence via 1823. I think HKKF are under the impression they can issue a new policy, press statements and negotiate with the Marine Department and just to ignore all the outcomes. Well this attitude extends to not using the radar properly, not keeping the correct distance between boats etc etc. Little things add up and eventually 39 people die........ Sure none of the deaths were on a HKKF ferry but there is still that "it okay, just this one time" attitude that creeps in slowly without people noticing. Never the less HKE is part of our community and I was deeply upset for weeks after the accident. People have criticised me on the forum for making a fuss and I get that, it is important that they do, there are two sides to everything. I would go as far as say those that those who disagree with me on the cargo situation should contact HKKF and say they disagree with the fuss I am making. Thats what living in a "democracy" or at least the version we have here is all about, different opinions. Just remember when things went really really the two captains found themselves in court by themselves, perhaps making a fuss will help protect the boat staff from being in this situation again.

Post subject: Re: accountablitly
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:28 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:13 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

Post subject: Making a fuss
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:10 am 

Post subject: Re: Making a fuss
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:34 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:16 am 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:57 am 

Post subject: Flouting the law
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:19 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:47 pm 
over 600 messages posted
over 600 messages posted

As a long term 'island dweller',(over 20 years) I hadn't given safety on the ferries much thought.

But after the tragedy, and the completely 'mind boggling array' of serious errors from not only the staff of HKKF, but also the Marine Department and also the ship builders. Not to mention that the tragic loss of 39 people, which should not have happened.I am really angry that NOTHING seems to have changed.

Many more revelations and the pathetic apology from the Head of the MD.

Then assurances from the MD and HKKF, that they have learnt from their mistakes,...... ????

But nowadays, (To me) is not only about the audacity about flouting the law, but it's completely 'taking the piss' (to use one of my favourite English expressions) to continue this way of working.

Many people are asking for the Chief of the MD to step down. He failed in his job. Don't get that either... he should be fired!!! As should all the other staff that were so complacent (and continue to be) to lie and didn't do their job. A loss of lives that should not have happened.

As a long term resident I have seen 'flouting of the law' just a basic part of HK life. But after November 1st last year, I have changed my way of thinking.

I'm not happy with the attitude of the ferry company .... and I'm not happy that they are still blocking 'gangplanks'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:49 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:36 pm 

This is an open request for all ferry users with children and infants.
Please force HKKF to carry more life jackers for children and infant life jackets. Child and infant life jackets are not the same at all. At the moment as per Hong Kong law HKKF ferries carry about 22 child life jackets, this is about the legally required 5% of the licensed capacity of the ships. HKKF are within the current legal requirements so they are not breaking the law. There is no legal requirement for infant life jackets at all, this means infants are placed a a great risk of drowning should there be accident. Please think how you would protect your infant from drowning in an accident, at the moment I would not like to think about this at all. You can see HKKF on the subject of life jackets are taking the exact word of the law, almost to the letter. Why do they follow the exact letter of the law in some areas and not others?

Digging down into the recommendations of the Lamma accident report item 6 on page 182 makes this recommendation.

"(6) Sufficient child lifejackets should be carried for every
child on board all classes of vessels and consideration
should be given to the provision of infant lifejackets."

22 child life jackets are not sufficient for our ferries, I have counted and there are upwards of 30 children on the services that serve the schools. There are also typical 3 infants on board that have NO life saving devises. The problem here is the word consideration, this means they do not have to carry LPDs for infants , they just have to think about it.

There is also no information on the boat regarding height, weight or size regarding when child, infant or adult life jackets should be used. I think this is based on the child's height therefore I have used the 100 cm rule of HKKF they use for child tickets when arriving at the number of 30. If this is the correct measure HKKF themselves will have data form the ticket gates on child use.

The recommendations do not make any provision for disabled ferry users of which we have several in wheel chairs that use the ferry. I have no idea about LPDs for wheel chair users so would like to hear from anyone with knowledge in this area.

The full report can be found at [url]http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/coi-lamma/pdf/coi_report_e.pdf
[/url]

As always I will pass these concerns on to 1823 and HKKF to give them an opportunity to reply. If you are concerned for you child's or infants safety onboard HKKF ferries please do the same. The more voices we can add to this the more likely something will be done.

Please send me a private message if you would like to discuss this issue further.

Post subject: 10% child life jackets
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:07 pm 

Sorry just found this on page 175 of the report.

454. Mr Wong Wing Chuen said that, although the review was still
underway, the requirements in respect of child lifejackets had received
consideration already. In the first place, consideration is being given
to increasing the percentage of child lifejackets required to be on - 176 -
board from 5% of the total number of persons on board a vessel to 8%
or 10%. Alternatively, consideration is being given to require that the
“quantity of child lifejackets on board every voyage should match the
actual number of children carried on board”.

So with pressure from ferry users we should get the number increased, this will mean pretty much all the children will have access of a LPD. So lets put the pressure on HKKF to do this.

It seems from the report they are well aware of this issue on page 169 Captain Pryke said this
"Whether sufficient child lifejackets are carried for every
child on board, and whether the statutory requirement
for child lifejackets should be one lifejacket for every
child actually on board the vessel."

On page 167 Captain Pryke also says "Furthermore, he noted that local passenger vessels were not required to carry a child lifejacket for every child actually on board the vessel. "