[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - Bitten by a Bamboo Pit Viper!
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:48 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Attachments:
File comment: The foot and bite, 3 days later!
Pascale-photo-1.jpg
Pascale-photo-1.jpg [ 49.26 KiB | Viewed 9247 times ]
File comment: Bamboo Pit Viper - by Tim Bonebeak
Tim-Bonebreak-Pitviper-wp.jpg
Tim-Bonebreak-Pitviper-wp.jpg [ 56.34 KiB | Viewed 9247 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:30 am 

Wow - thanks for sharing! Hope the recovery is going well. I have 1 question regarding 'keeping the affected limb below the heart'. In this case, your foot. - Would it be best to then keep sort of a standing position, or to put it up on a stool or so?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:48 am 

Hi. Once bitten, it is impossible to apply any pressure on the limb/foot. The swelling being intense and rapid, gravity affects the weight of the limb. The tissues are being destroyed too. Standing upright is no longer possible. keeping the foot on a stool is good, below heart while envenomed is best. that's what I did during ferry transport in a modified way: kept the foot on the seat.

Once the foot was rested, the pain would subside. Then, if I had to bring it down to floor, I would scream my lungs off in pain. This lasted for 4 days. Today is day 5, the first seconds of standing upright are excruciating, still.
hope this helps!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:14 pm 
Discussions Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:44 pm 

Thank you for sharing, hope you get well soon. :thumb-up:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:11 am 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

Yikes, scary. Thanks so much for the detailed account which will be very useful if such an event happens again. Also a timely warning for parents who see their small children running round in bush areas with bare feet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:41 am 

Update from Pascale:

"Pit Viper bite - one month later.

This is what to expect:
Pain in the bitten region that still endures and abates very slowly. The venom contains neuro-toxins that damage the nerves in a specific way, creating hypersensitivity. A slight brush or touch on the affected area sends me screaming in pain. It is said to subside within 6 months.

Also, the immune system having been so heavily taxed, one's defenses are low. I have had cold and bronchitis, which I never do. Allergic responses, runny nose, eczema and much more cycle rapidly through any one day; as one symptom disappears, another one appears. Some day to the point of driving me insane, but then, I refuse to take anti-histamines. This fades over 3 weeks.

But the most bizarre has been my compulsive need to eat MEAT. My first seven days out of hospital was all I wanted, all I could eat. It is getting better now, I am kind of back to some veggies! I guess that the body screams to rebuild itself with proteins."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:02 pm 

In the meantime, another person on Lamma, a female visitor, has been bitten by a Bamboo Snake:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:10 pm 
over 200 messages posted
over 200 messages posted

Wow! You had a truly dreadful experience but sharing it with us might well help someone in the future. I've also passed it on to a friend who might not read Lammazine.

Thank you for taking the time, and good luck with your recovery. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:50 pm 
Flora & Fauna Moderator

this is very useful. There have been one or two close encounters with bamboo snakes in the community garden in the last couple of weeks, so it is as well to be super-vigilant.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:31 am 

7 weeks later and Pascale still has foot pains and some neurological damage...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:31 pm 

It's happened once more! Pit Vipers cause by far the majority of snake bites in HK.
Update from Pascale:

"A person was bit by a mature bamboo viper Wednesday late afternoon and is now at Queen Mary still receiving vials of antivenin to this date.
Happened on main path in direction of sok kwu wan near a site storing construction materials and wid fence. Close to beach. Will post GPS coordinates when available. The animal was aggressive and did not move off path after biting. There could be a nest nearby.

First recommendation is "slow your vitals". See page 13, section 2-4. What is in is applied systematically as advice to anyone who might encounter poisonous snake and in first aid. https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm90-5.pdf"

Some good advice from Ronan Keilthy:

"It is definitely not the best idea to kill the snake. It puts you in a lot more danger of another bite, and it is just cruel to kill an animal that just tried to defend itself. If you don't think you can ID a snake, that's what we have iPhones for.
Also, sucking out the venom is not effective in the least. The only thing it does is stop you from getting to hospital quicker. If you are bitten by a venomous snake, there is one simple rule: GET TO MEDICAL ATTENTION. If you do that as quickly as possible, there really is no reason to die from snakebite anywhere (especially Hong Kong).

That viper was not being aggressive. It isn't the warmest in Hong Kong at the moment, and that snake was probably trying to heat up on the path when someone stumbled across it. If the person was bitten anywhere else other than the foot/leg, they were obviously trying to kill or handle it, and the bite is 100% their fault.

Also, there is no such thing as a viper nest. Most vipers (including bamboo pit vipers) give birth to live young. When the babies are born, that's it, they go on their own way. They might hang around the same area for a few days, because any distance is large when you are about 15cm in length."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:52 am 

yes I was the lucky one that got bitten by the bamboo pit viper ! finally got the time to tell the story.
It was actually on my way home , just before Granny Chan's shop by the rubbish/ recycle bins , opposite the construction site .
I have no idea how it happened , was not looking at my feet while walking and talking with my husband, until I felt the sharp sting . Nothing much I must say, never thought it was a snake until and turn round to see what got me and saw the snake .

As per my husband's instructions , I sat down and stayed calm (surprisingly!) . I asked him to take a pic of the snake. he called the ambulance and they took me to the clinic . They were super efficient and very friendly !

There they checked my vitals and sent me off to the hospital by helicopter (fantastic ride !!). By then my foot was well swollen and the pain started to kick in . I was at the Eastern Hospital , A&E department . They were also very efficient . after registration etc ... they gave me some well needed pain killer through intravenous injection and also antibiotics .
By then the pain was really excruciating, could not touch my leg at all and every visit from the doctor felt like torture!

Anyways to keep a long story short , they kept me for 4 nights , gave me 3 doses of anti-venom (horrible experience), were going to give me a 4th dose but they run out , no more stock :-)!

Thanks to Pascale's great advice , which I follow to the letter , I actually recovered super fast . Visited the hospital one week later and even the doctor was surprised that I could walk without a walking stick!

As for the details , Pascale has already explained it better than I ever could . The pain, the swelling, IV drips, blood tests .... more pain ...

My heartfelt thanks to the paramedics, the Lamma clinic, the staff in A&E ward in Eastern Hospital , they were all very professional, friendly and helped me stay calm and informed !

HUGE thanks to Pascale for all her advice and support that were essential to my super quick recovery .

Crucial advice : try and get a pic of snake if you ever get bitten or at least a description...this will be a great help to the medical staff.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:49 pm 

Thank you so much for sharing!

Very helpful advice to all of us, especially hikers who might encounter snakes more frequently than on the concreted paths, even though I've seen several in person on the path since movig to Pak Kok two uears ago.

I've shared your advice in the Facebook group Snake Sightings on Lamma and it'll be a Lamma-zine story as well.
Thank you again!