Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:47 pm 

Hi everyone,

So I am renting a second floor apartment with roof, today morning I found few items that doesn't belong to me put on the roof (mattress, and a mat ).
I have no problem helping neighbors, the problem is that they didn't ask for my permission to use the roof, they just helped themselves and put their stuff on the roof, second problem is that last time they did the same thing it rained and no one even bothered to clean up, I had to do the clean up my self.

I tried to call Stephen from "DOLLARFUL agency" but he is ignoring me completely, I am not sure what exactly should I do especially that I reviewed the contract and it doesn't mention the roof to it which I remember Stephen Commenting on that by "it is known in Lamma that if you are renting the last floor you get access to the roof, unless mentioned otherwise".

Any one got any advice regarding this, or even wither it is legal or illegal to put locks on the rooftop doors.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:47 pm 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

The Deed of Mutual Covenant would state ownership of parts of the building and common areas, also what access rights G/F and 1/F might have to the roof for putting up TV aerial ect. You should talk to the owner about it before you install locks/ doors ect. Maybe he owns all 3 floors and doesnt care, but if you're paying top floor premium rental,you should certainly ask him. Or corner Mr Dollarful in his shop to clarify. They charge enough for their "service" I recall they were spanked by the authorities for breach of tenancy contract regulations in 2011

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:45 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Best to have a friendly chat with the offending neighbour, most conflicts are solved this way locally.
Otherwise they might increase their use of your rooftop and start having BBQs and wild parties up there soon! ;~}

You've got an outside staircase or inside staircase to the rooftop from the G/F, it seems. Customarily, this usually means neighbours can go up there occasionally and enjoy the view, but not leave anything behind, as it is legally and customarily YOUR rooftop and you're responsible for it to the landlord in the end.

You can lock it right now, the roof is yours, and nobody can take real offense with it, not even your neighbour, even though he might be disappointed. If you don't use the rooftop much yourself and if you don't mind, make a verbal agreement with him. For example, you let him store something for a limited amount of time and he invites you for dinner and/or drinks. Voila, a new friend!

Newer village houses don't have this problem as 2/F tenants, like us, are the only ones who can access the rooftop from inside their flats. But we love to share our rooftop with friends and invite them to come up and watch the sunrise/sunset with us while having a drink. But they can't leave anything behind, of course. ;~}

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:36 pm 

I am honestly having no problem if my neighbors need to use the roof, the thing that bother me the most is the fact that they don't even care to close the roof door and it end up making sounds because of the wind or I have to deal with the water leaking cause of the rain.

Second thing that bother me the most is Stephen ( from DOLLARFULL agency) he is ignoring my calls and my texts. I remember him swearing to me that in lama agents especially him keep contact with the tenants and solve there issues if there is any, and he has done none so far.

I have had a chat with my neighbor after all, he didn't know that the roof is not shared " which is a little strange cause it is always mentioned by the agent", any way we have agreed that if he needs the roof he needs to ask me first before he use it, and from my side I am okay with him using it as long as he doesn't leave things behind.

I think I will need to think about moving to one of the new village houses you mentioned, any references ?

Thank you all for your replies, really appreciate your help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:43 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

I've asked Lammaites for additional advice for you, via Facebook.

Here are some of the many replies:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2418687010/permalink/10152932207622011/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:29 am 

Thank you very much lamma-Gung, I really appreciate your help.
For now I think I will just go ahead and add the locks and see what will happen.

Thanks every one.